14ltrs of breast milk on a plane.

(74 Posts)
VoyageOfDad Sun 24-Apr-16 09:37:27

Woman tries to take 14 litres of her breast milk as hand luggage on an international flight whilst travelling without a baby, predictably she's not allowed to take it onboard and its dumped.

Now she's complaining. AIBU to think she's BU.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36120247

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Sun 24-Apr-16 09:39:17

It is quite a lot, isn't it?

I did sympathise at first but then read it was 14 litres.

14 litres. Would take some muscle to carry it all.

Crispbutty Sun 24-Apr-16 09:40:16

Attention and publicity seeking fuckwit is all I can think about her.

TurnOffTheTv Sun 24-Apr-16 09:41:07

She's a total dick. It wouldn't even be fit to feed her baby with anyway.

MooPointCowsOpinion Sun 24-Apr-16 09:42:01

I don't know what else she could have done though, she was away from her baby so had to pump milk to keep her supply, and then get the milk back to her baby.

I really hope she can find some more breast milk from a donating mum for her child to replace that she has had taken away, putting a breastfed baby onto formula can cause awful stomach issues for the baby.

VagueIdeas Sun 24-Apr-16 09:42:20

What on earth?

Was she hoping to sell it?

VagueIdeas Sun 24-Apr-16 09:43:21

But that milk couldn't possibly have been given to a baby, Moo.

MooPointCowsOpinion Sun 24-Apr-16 09:44:58

Depends on the length of the flight, it was frozen solid, in a cool box. I've donated frozen milk before and driven miles to drop it off, it was still frozen in the cool box when I arrived.

QOD Sun 24-Apr-16 09:45:09

There's another thread about this which started with the op being on the bm mums side and rapidly changing her.mind
lol
I had a read of some of the comments on Heathrow facebook and oh my. Bf mum's go wild
it can't have been kept at a constant temp so surely can't be safe for baby
wasaowassock

BikeRunSki Sun 24-Apr-16 09:45:21

How was it still going to be fresh ? Some of it was 2 weeks old! Even if it was frozen won't it have thawed during the flight ? She's a frequent flyer, she must have been so aware of the liquid restrictions.

Sirzy Sun 24-Apr-16 09:45:23

Why didn't she contact the airline to discuss it in advance?

And surely the milk wouldn't have been useable anyway?

TurnOffTheTv Sun 24-Apr-16 09:46:00

She couldn't have even give the milk to the baby though Moo

MajesticSeaFlapFlap Sun 24-Apr-16 09:46:47

There is a rule
She didn't look it up
Her fault entirely

QOD Sun 24-Apr-16 09:46:49

But moo she was on and off flights and in and out of different hotels. It MUST have partially defrosted and re frozen

She's back with baby now with milk on tap

insancerre Sun 24-Apr-16 09:47:59

She is being ridiculous
There is no way that milk would be fit to give to her baby even if she could get it on the plane

TurnOffTheTv Sun 24-Apr-16 09:48:10

It was a seven hour flight though. Two hours to check in plus flight time, plus waiting for luggage, then getting home at the other end must be at least 11 hours.

Minisoksmakehardwork Sun 24-Apr-16 09:50:16

I don't see how the milk would have been safe to give to a baby without being properly stored. The frozen would have defrosted on the journey and wouldn't have been re-freezable and I'd hate to think what the cabin environment would have have done to the liquid as it wouldn't have been chilled. At a push hold luggage would have allowed her to take it home, but I'd still not want to give it to baby as I'd worry what the unusual environment would have done to it. Unless if was in a suitcase capable of keeping it frozen for the duration of the journey.

The airport didn't cost her 2 weeks worth of meals - 8 month baby presumably being weaned. I'll give her the benefit of doubt and assume she had enough stored milk to last while she was away. But she wasted it by being so damned foolish as to think regulations wouldn't apply to her.

She could have maintained her supply by pumping and dumping. I know it's far from ideal seeing all that wasted effort in terms of meals. But I'd be seriously worried I'd end up making baby ill.

Behooven Sun 24-Apr-16 09:50:38

Attention seeking entitled diva. Otherwise known as stupid.

FatimaLovesBread Sun 24-Apr-16 09:51:15

But she wouldn't need to put baby on formula as she would be able to use her boobs. It was pumped to maintain her supply not to transport as replacement.

And it was one large block pumped over 2 weeks. Even if it hadn't already gone bad, how was she planning on defrosting a whole 14 litres and using it before it went off. How much does the baby drink?!!

Never mind the weight, if you assume the same wt/ml as water then that 14kg without the cool box. That's a checked in suitcase weight on its own hmm

ShutUpSirius Sun 24-Apr-16 09:52:03

As I read the title I sniggered thinking about this as a film with Samuel l Jackson.... 14l of milk on a plane!

nattyknitter Sun 24-Apr-16 09:52:43

The rules are clearly published and accessible. They are global rules that have been in place since 2006, so not really a surprise to most people. She could and should have looked it up before she travelled. It's not a normal amount to be carrying.

They also would have told her this at check in (had she gone to a desk) so she would have had chance to go and get a bag and check it in to the hold if she were really that bothered.

The rules on liquids are a PITA for everyone, but are there for good reason.

TheDuchessOfArbroathsHat Sun 24-Apr-16 09:53:32

Silly woman. Although she'll probably be in Celebrity Big Brother next time round! A desire for fame is the only possible reason I can think of for a person behaving like an arse loudly and in the full glare of publicity.

Baboooshka Sun 24-Apr-16 09:55:14

Reading her 'open letter' on Facebook made me sad. It sounded like a woman pushing herself close to a complete breakdown over impossible self-imposed parenting standards.

To help ease the personal guilt, I resolved to pump at every possible moment between my meetings, presentations, business lunches and dinners, taxis, flights, and long waits in airports.

That milk wasn't usable; the oldest of it would've been repeatedly transported from freezer to freezer, as I think she spent 15 days travelling through 8 cities. The way she describes her efforts to pump milk, it seems like it's less a practical measure and more a guilt-driven ritual.

I feel bad for her, but I also resent that she's given the 'pro-breastfeeding women are so hysterical' lobby yet more fuel. I also suspect, from the outrage in her FB post, she was rude as fuck to security staff.

sooperdooper Sun 24-Apr-16 09:56:06

She's bu - rules about liquids on flights are really widely publicised & she could've put it in her check in luggage. The fact it's breast milk is irrelevant imo

LettingAgentNightmare Sun 24-Apr-16 09:59:29

Such a weird story. The milk would have been partially defrosted numerous times to make it all into one solid block the idea of a baby drinking it after a transatlantic flight is revolting.

Who actually tries to take a solid block of milk onto a flight?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now