Sick note to use at work from A&E

(35 Posts)
RedHead02 Wed 13-Apr-16 17:12:27

Just that really. Is it possible to get signed off by an A&E doctor. I had a knee injury two years ago which required major surgery. I've now buffered it up again. Work can be difficult with sickness so really I need a note. I never abuse the NHS but this is urgent.

PansyGiraffe Wed 13-Apr-16 17:16:26

Is your knee bad enough today that you are going to a&e today for emergency treatment? You make it sound as if you are going just for a sick note which is hugely unreasonable if so.

LIZS Wed 13-Apr-16 17:16:56

You can self certify for 5 days then get a note from gp.

Cakescakescakes Wed 13-Apr-16 17:17:58

Do not go to A&E. They will just refer you back to your GP as that's not what they are there for.

RedHead02 Wed 13-Apr-16 17:18:14

I appreciate that it looks that way. My knee is unquestionably bad, that is a given. My surgeon told me to seek medical attention immediately if it ever returned. The advice from my gp was to go to A&E because they didn't have appointments due to being overbooked and understaffed.

ElderlyKoreanLady Wed 13-Apr-16 17:19:08

You mean you'd be going to A&E just for a sick note? What a waste of their time. Self cert and book yourself in at the doctors.

Balletgirlmum Wed 13-Apr-16 17:20:17

It impossible to get signed off by a hospital/a & e doctor but only if you have been off work for over a week or they know you are going to be off for longer than a week.

Slothlikesundays Wed 13-Apr-16 17:20:30

This is not an accident, or an emergency. What a waste of precious resources if you do this.

Balletgirlmum Wed 13-Apr-16 17:20:51

That should read it is possible to get sighed off

Ginmakesitallok Wed 13-Apr-16 17:22:13

Self certify for 5 days, in that time get a gp appointment. A&e will not give you a sick note.

UpsiLondoes Wed 13-Apr-16 17:22:48

I think you can get a number to reference you went to a&e for that day. But how are you going to get a sick note when they will assess your knee and 1/ either admit you because it is serious or 2/ tell you it's not that serious and to go see your Gp for follow up. And it's 5 continuous days before our GP will give a sick note for work.

WitteryTwittery Wed 13-Apr-16 17:23:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lauren83 Wed 13-Apr-16 17:23:42

Self cert for 5 days, then try to get in with your GP next week, some gps for a reoccurring illness/injury would leave you a sick note at the desk to collect and not see you for an appt. A&E is for major trauma/blood loss/strokes/broken bones/heart attacks, not for non life threatening injuries or long term ones

canyou Wed 13-Apr-16 17:24:42

Forget the sick note a moment, do you need treatment? Can the OOH or a minor injuries unit see you if the GP cannot They will give you a sick note if needed

ImNotThatGirl Wed 13-Apr-16 17:25:55

YABU, just self certify.

canyou Wed 13-Apr-16 17:25:55

If you have no OOH or minor injuries and cannot get a GP appt maybe ring you local A&E and ask for advice as to what to do

wheresthetea Wed 13-Apr-16 17:26:31

Not unless it's so bad you actually need emergency treatment.

RedHead02 Wed 13-Apr-16 17:27:47

Sorry I appreciate this is drip feeding but I also have osteoporosis and arthritis which complicated my knee condition in the first place. Sorry for frantic message, I'm in a taxi on my way and in a tizz. I have an important meeting 3 hours away from the office tomorrow and I won't be able to do it as my knee has gone to jelly

aginghippy Wed 13-Apr-16 17:29:24

My DP was in an a&e recently. (For a genuine emergency) They said they do not do sick notes at all, that you have to see the GP for those. They did say they could give a copy of a document saying you have been seen at a&e on this x date for y condition.

aginghippy Wed 13-Apr-16 17:36:31

flowers RedHead

Muskateersmummy Wed 13-Apr-16 17:38:56

Self certify. Then call for a phone appointment with the GP. Based on the problem I would imagine they wouldn't necessarily need to see you in person to do the sick note

HermioneJeanGranger Wed 13-Apr-16 17:42:00

A&E might refer you to OOH and they can give you a sick note.

Yes, you can self-certify for a week but a lot of places don't look kindly on you ringing in sick for having a sore knee - at least with a GP's note you have back-up that you're not just faking for a day off.

When I injured my back and needed to be off work, the OOH doctor signed me off because "lots of people use back injuries as a way to get out of work as they're hard to prove and heal within a few days" and he didn't want my work to think I was simply making excuses.

Feel better, OP. flowers

sillylily Wed 13-Apr-16 17:43:53

I really don't think a sick note for work is a valid reason to visit A&E and they won't give you a note anyway. Do as other suggest - self cert & GP. Leave A&E for proper medical emergencies.

NerrSnerr Wed 13-Apr-16 17:44:18

You need to self certify for a week. If you need treatment now then go to a&e (if it genuinely is an emergency). You can then go to the GP in the week who can sign you off for longer if necessary. When I fucked my knee up that's what I did

AliceInUnderpants Wed 13-Apr-16 17:46:54

Do you have a need to go to A&E?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now