AIBU to think no one actually does this!

(62 Posts)
freebreeze Thu 07-Apr-16 21:57:14

I recently read an article (can't remember where now) where the author described how you can tell a lot about a person by what they store in their bathroom cabinet! Really???? AIBU to doubt that anyone actually does have a rummage through another person's cupboard whilst nipping to the loo? (Light hearted thread intended!! Be honest!)

emilybrontescorset Thu 07-Apr-16 21:58:52

No can't say I do.
Might bear it in mind when I next have a date though!

Not sure what it all means though .

Sparklingbrook Thu 07-Apr-16 22:00:36

I bet loads of people do. We don't have a bathroom cabinet so no chance here, and I wouldn't rummage through someone else's no way.

Arfarfanarf Thu 07-Apr-16 22:00:40

you'd be surprised! A lot of people are very nosy indeed :D

TheDuchessOfArbroathsHat Thu 07-Apr-16 22:01:02

grin
If I did this I'd be sure to find the Vicar's glass anal juicer or something similarly unspeakable that would make the remainder of the dinner party tricky to say the least! Keep your beaks out of the bathroom cabinet - that way lies bad things!

justdontevenfuckingstart Thu 07-Apr-16 22:01:06

Oh people do! Saw a great thing many years ago where you filled a plastic tub with marbles, put a thin cardboard lid on it. Shut it behind the door and slide the board out. When guest opens your cabinet all the marbles spill out. I have a toothbrush and a razor in mine. Totes interesting.

Sparklingbrook Thu 07-Apr-16 22:02:58

I have caught house guests-

Going through baby DS1's wardrobe
Having a look in my freezer

We have a few creaky floorboards and you can tell if a visitor isn't taking the direct route back from the loo.

StandoutMop Thu 07-Apr-16 22:03:32

Calpol, hedrin and a nitty gritty comb in mine. Although I think the mountain of toys and small clothes on my landing would've outed me as a parent before anyone opened my bathroom cabinet.

gamerchick Thu 07-Apr-16 22:03:49

Well it depends on what, anal dildos of varying sizes may make me a bit slidey eyed.

Mines full of in the middle of the night kid poorlyness things all to hand when bleary eyed and thrush cream. That just says I have kids I hope.

NeedACleverNN Thu 07-Apr-16 22:04:16

Does not having a bathroom cabinet make me invisible and non existent?

freebreeze Thu 07-Apr-16 22:04:31

The author was saying that the brands of cosmetics they buy, for example, could provide an insight in to their financial situation etc. Also she said you could have a nosy at the kinds of medication they're on - seriously crossing a line here IMO.

LBOCS2 Thu 07-Apr-16 22:05:04

I don't have a bathroom cabinet.

I do however have friends who would without shame have a rummage around in it if I did have one. And probably bring various items downstairs to talk to me about them.

justdontevenfuckingstart Thu 07-Apr-16 22:06:04

No need maybe checking bedside tables instead. Much more interesting......

Sparklingbrook Thu 07-Apr-16 22:06:21

All my cosmetics live in my bedroom and we have a medicine box in the kitchen cupboard. Disappointing. grin

emilybrontescorset Thu 07-Apr-16 22:07:52

All my 'toys' are in my bedroom.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Thu 07-Apr-16 22:07:53

Amy Sedaris suggests popping a few marbles in your bathroom cabinet as an alert system should somebody snoop...

NeedACleverNN Thu 07-Apr-16 22:07:53

Bedside cabinets......has some sweets, chocolates, candles that I don't want to burn and other random junk..not much insight there either

freebreeze Thu 07-Apr-16 22:10:43

Reading some of your comments is making me smile and forming a wicked idea in my mind - 'setting up ' an 'interesting' bathroom cabinet for my dinner guests, so as to enjoy their expressions on return from the loo.....ummmm what would go in this???

pearlylum Thu 07-Apr-16 22:11:00

My bathroom cabinet is very boring. Shampoo, shower gel, toothpaste, razors, loo roll etc.
I have a medicine/first aid kit that lives on a shelf in the garage.

dylsmimi Thu 07-Apr-16 22:14:53

It reminds me of the scene in father of the bride when Steve Martin goes to his son in laws parents house and ends up pulling the cabinet off the wall, finding a cheque book, chased by dogs and ending up in the pool - I can't remember what he was trying to do but I think it was fairly innocent!!

StuckMelia Thu 07-Apr-16 22:17:06

Well, if someone sneak out with my bathroom cabinet they will see a lots of sanitary pads. :D

serin Thu 07-Apr-16 22:27:16

Super super maxi pads and Tampax (enough to plug a hole in a submarine) would be my most embarrassing items.

Oh and possibly the packets of Ovex.

Oysterbabe Thu 07-Apr-16 22:33:36

I always look in the cabinet.
Ours just has about a million bottles of contact lense solution.

acasualobserver Thu 07-Apr-16 22:35:26

Ignorance is bliss. Do you really want to clock your host's Preparation H and then have difficulty enjoying the grapes later?

IlPorcupinoNilSodomyEst Thu 07-Apr-16 22:37:29

Mine's very boring - spare shampoo, shower gel, moisturiser - nothing exciting at all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now