To hate it when people say 'suits you' if you hold a baby

(28 Posts)
Givinguph0pe Sat 12-Mar-16 17:48:06

Just piss off! How can a baby 'suit you'? Of stupid things to say it's right up there I think.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Sat 12-Mar-16 17:49:28

Agreed.

Totally batshit thing to say to anyone. Ever.

Philoslothy Sat 12-Mar-16 17:51:10

It isn't a particularly profound thing to say but some people do look more at ease holding a baby

WorraLiberty Sat 12-Mar-16 17:52:50

I wonder why people never say it when someone holds a puppy? grin

PurpleDaisies Sat 12-Mar-16 17:53:15

It is totally unhelpful. I wish people would just keep that sort of thing to themselves. If you're struggling to conceive it mans you end up totally paranoid about holding anyone's baby in case you get comments like this.

Givinguph0pe Sat 12-Mar-16 17:54:02

I think im more suited to holding the puppy to be honest!

Givinguph0pe Sat 12-Mar-16 17:55:02

Mil likes to make people hold babies to 'see if it suits them.'
I'm longing for her one day to go 'oh Christ no it doesn't suit you, you must NEVER reproduce.'

juniperdingleberries Sat 12-Mar-16 17:55:49

I've never heard anyone say this

I thought you meant it like "ooh, suit you sir!"

fassbendersmistress Sat 12-Mar-16 17:57:32

YANBU

Standard fodder for me at family occasions for many years...

....swiftly followed by 'why haven't you got a boyfriend....tick tick tick tock'

WorraLiberty Sat 12-Mar-16 17:57:36

Mil likes to make people hold babies to 'see if it suits them.

Haha! I now have an image of her standing outside a shop dressing room, while you come out holding a variety of different babies.

"What do you think of the size and colour"?

"Nah, try another one".

grin

Mousefinkle Sat 12-Mar-16 19:03:51

Saw this for the first time on Facebook a couple of months ago. A guy I used to work with holding his niece and there were a few comments along the lines of "suits you." "You next!" What if he doesn't want children or him and his partner can't have them? Just a stupid comment really. It's a baby, not a fashion accessory.

RudeElf Sat 12-Mar-16 19:11:57

Agreed!

What are you supposed to say to that?

Either "no thanks. here, catch" <throw baby>

Or "oh i know, i'd really love one but it just hasnt happened yet despite years of trying/i cant find a man decent enough to want to create a human life with"

MadeMan Sat 12-Mar-16 19:15:18

Surely it depends on what the baby is wearing and if their clothes match your belt, shoes or handbag?

Hobbes8 Sat 12-Mar-16 19:15:30

Fassbender are you actually Bridget Jones? So you attend turkey curry buffets and have hideous uncles who slap your butt in public?

FirstWeTakeManhattan Sat 12-Mar-16 19:21:34

I think it's something that people say without thinking, just to say something 'nice.'

Inevitably, some people will feel offended or pissed off by it, but most at least recognise that no harm is meant.

I think there are several million worse things to say to someone.

tobysmum77 Sat 12-Mar-16 19:28:16

Yanbu

And at the 'no harm meant' well it is sometimes meant if it's your mil who believes everyone should breed in their 20s angry

RaspberryOverload Sat 12-Mar-16 19:44:15

Mil likes to make people hold babies to 'see if it suits them.'

Wonder what she'd say if she met my cousin. Hardly ever holds babies, will never have children, and on the rare occasion she holds a baby, she looks terrified.

thecatfromjapan Sat 12-Mar-16 19:50:24

Never come across it.

Is it a geographically-specific thing?

nattyknitter Sat 12-Mar-16 20:09:07

My BIL asked me why I wasn't married with babies.

I told him 2 reasons
1. Your kids are the best contraception anyone could need.
2. I don't see the point in keeping a whole pig for the occasional bit of sausage.

Shut him up for a while.

I see that sort of thing as a backhanded way of telling you you are not meeting up to some societal norm.

VoldysGoneMouldy Sat 12-Mar-16 20:19:58

" 'oh Christ no it doesn't suit you, you must NEVER reproduce.'" - am roaring with laughter.

CheshireChat Sat 12-Mar-16 20:24:04

My baby doesn't suit me as he's over half my length at 15 months. Can I exchange it please? He's also rather heavy...

Taytocrisps Sat 12-Mar-16 20:24:24

It's one of those stupid annoying things people say.

CheshireChat Sat 12-Mar-16 20:24:50

Exchange him please?

ridemesideways Sat 12-Mar-16 20:31:03

Ugh. Subtext = I think you should breed. Why haven't you reproduced? What's wrong with you?

A seemingly cutesy thing to say.. hate it.

neonrainbow Sat 12-Mar-16 20:35:14

Love it natty!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now