AIBU about male cats spraying

(39 Posts)
TattyDevine Sun 14-Feb-16 19:00:35

I'm getting a couple of kittens from a breeder at around 13 weeks of age, a boy and a girl.

A friend of mine was all doom and gloom saying the male will spray everywhere and it will stink grin

Fair enough but I've googled it and it says they don't spray until they are sexually mature and Im planning on getting him neutered at 4 months.

Has anyone had a male cat who has sprayed at such a young age?

AIBU to think she is crackers? Bearing in mind spraying is something sexually mature male cats do to mark their territory...

Greyhorses Sun 14-Feb-16 19:02:02

Both of mine have never sprayed and were castrated at 5 months...I wouldn't worry smile

chemenger Sun 14-Feb-16 19:04:57

Never had a male cat who has sprayed after neutering. Have had unneutered male stray "visitors" who have spayed and it is horrible.

ActivelyAnxious Sun 14-Feb-16 19:06:48

Had two male kittens, spayed around six months... never remember them spraying anywhere.

Now, leaving a few less-than-pleaant messes of other kinds to clean up from time to time, yes. grin

ActivelyAnxious Sun 14-Feb-16 19:07:34

Sorry, neutered! Spaying is for dogs...

TattyDevine Sun 14-Feb-16 19:08:12

I've never smelled it but apparently it's like nothing else.

Its funny how people always try and piss on your cornflakes though. "Yay Im' getting 2 kittens" "ooh he'll spray and ruin your house" hmm

DH was telling the inlaws about our kitchen renovations. "Ooh all that time without an oven, what are you going to DOOOOO?" Err, go to the pub, it'll be fun?

Bringers of doom, bores me to tears.

Oldraver Sun 14-Feb-16 19:09:15

Not long had Ernie cat neutered at 5 months luckily before he started to spray. If you get him dont as soon as you can then it shouldn't be a problem

Oldraver Sun 14-Feb-16 19:10:05

Oh and you know its the law to show us photos of new kitties

I8toys Sun 14-Feb-16 19:19:31

Just had Oreo neutered he's around 5 months - never sprayed.

limitedperiodonly Sun 14-Feb-16 19:20:42

He won't if you're getting him neutered. It'll be easier on him and you than the girl cat. She'll feel sorry for herself but will soon pick up.

Agree with OldRaver about pix smile

hiddenhome2 Sun 14-Feb-16 19:21:27

None of mine ever sprayed.

TattyDevine Sun 14-Feb-16 19:27:31

Ah well if it'd be rude not to...

The first one is a girl, a blue golden persian

The second one is a boy, a golden persian

They are 2 weeks old in this picture so haven't developed much fluff yet or the classic flat persian frying-pan face and googly eyes grin

Can't wait.

JeremyZackHunt Sun 14-Feb-16 19:29:50

Both mine sprayed after neutering and it was done at a suitable age!confused

CalleighDoodle Sun 14-Feb-16 19:32:39

My male cat never did. My female cat sprays occasiobakly when she is stessed. She dislikes other cats, dogs, change...

limitedperiodonly Sun 14-Feb-16 19:33:27

Lovely

limitedperiodonly Sun 14-Feb-16 19:34:48

I like the way she's holding her paw in front of the camera like a celebrity saying 'No pictures!'

StarlingMurmuration Sun 14-Feb-16 19:37:17

Had my boy cat neutered at 4 months and he has never sprayed. HOWEVER, we had our family male cat neutered at the same age when I was child, and he did used to spray outside, I saw him do it many times. Never indoors though. He used to jump things too so I suspect they didn't quite do the snip right!

StarlingMurmuration Sun 14-Feb-16 19:38:25

*hump, not jump.

mamacasshadahairyass Sun 14-Feb-16 19:39:26

Our two,current ones are both neutered and dont spray. Our last cat was neutered and had a habit of spraying the living room curtains and my husband when stressed but it didnt smell.

We get a tom coming into our house regularly through the catflap that stinks the house out though. And he bloody miaows his head offf at 3 am to announce what he's doing hmm

Any ideas how to keep the tom out but let ours come and go freely?

Chintaria Sun 14-Feb-16 19:39:55

They are very cute smile

I have two boy cats - we had them castrated at 5 1/2 months, and never had any problems with spraying. Enjoy your kittens!!

Chintaria Sun 14-Feb-16 19:41:48

Mama could you get a catflap that you can program with your cats microchips? I looked into that for ours as we have pine martens in the attic garden and I didn't want them in the house!

ghostyslovesheep Sun 14-Feb-16 19:55:42

I have 2 boys aged 18 mths - neutered at 5mths - never sprayed

mamacasshadahairyass Sun 14-Feb-16 20:00:34

Ooh I didnt know about newfangled microchip catflaps. We'd have to get the oldest one chipped though. We inherited him from MIL and she didn't hold with such witchcraft

TheFuckitBuckit Sun 14-Feb-16 20:01:38

You do know that female cats can and do spray as well, not just males.
I have five cats. One of the males and one of the females spray both indoors and out. (Usually when stressed)
One male only sprays outside and the other two females I have never seen spray ever. All were spayed/neutered at the appropriate age so this doesn't guarantee that they won't spray.
Both my next door neighbours cats spray outside as well, she has one male one female and again both neutered/spayed.

I have owned several cats over the years and it's basically luck of the draw some will some won't.

But your kittens are absolutely gorgeous so don't let your friend put a dampener on your enjoyment of them. If you happen to develop a sprayer then you deal with it at the time. That way if they never develop the habit then you will have worried for nothing. 🙂

TheFuckitBuckit Sun 14-Feb-16 20:12:24

Forgot to add, you can definitely tell the difference between a neutered and un-neutered cat spray smell. Un-neutered males smell like nothing on earth.

I don't always know when mine have done it indoors sometimes until i see the puddle, it really doesn't smell that bad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now