To buy a sleepyhead second hand?

(8 Posts)
Marsaday Fri 29-Jan-16 21:03:30

So I know people generally do not use/buy second hand cot/crib matresses because it is supposed to increase the risk of SIDS.
However, on ebay and on local selling groups there is a roaring trade in second hand sleepyhead nests.
Is using onw of these second hand not exactly the same as using a second hand mattress? Or am I missing something??
I'm wondering whether to spend £90 new or £50 seond hand...

VocationalGoat Fri 29-Jan-16 21:12:21

Oh second hand all the way. I bought mine brand new during the first wave of them, when they first came out. I sold mine on eBay.
It's washable and I'm sure it will arrive clean and lovely. They use them for such a short time (7-8 months for me...and towards the end, not so much as in the early days). It's worth getting loads of baby stuff second hand.
I loved the Sleepyhead! I'd have kept it if we were having more children. But we're 'done' (not me, but my ovaries are! Lol!).

VocationalGoat Fri 29-Jan-16 21:13:41

PS: Buy it from someone with an excellent feedback score and a solid history of buying and selling on eBay.

MotherKat Sat 30-Jan-16 09:41:55

They aren't P.E.T. so they're not breaking down and releasing gasses.

TheTravellingLemon Sat 30-Jan-16 09:45:41

Mine is second hand. It's all washable. I love it, but DD only sleeps in it during the day when I'm around to watch her. I think there are some concerns with suffocation because of the big squashy bit around the edge but DD likes being swaddled quite tight and can't roll over yet so I think she'll be fine.

Binkybix Sat 30-Jan-16 09:48:24

I wish we'd got ours second hand as ours has not managed to sleep in it once!!

Marsaday Sat 30-Jan-16 10:24:54

binkybix maybe you should sell it to me!

Can you wash the bumper bit then? I assumed you could only wash the cover.

lemon my baby is only 6 days old and definitely can't roll yet! Plus she is swaddled so pretty stuck anyway. She's not been at all keen on being put down sp I thought feeling snuggled would help.

outputgap Sat 30-Jan-16 10:35:44

second hand mattresses are associated with a higher rate of cot death. I wouldn't therefore buy a second hand one of any variety.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now