"First World Problems" "used to keep women down"???

(38 Posts)
KittensOnAPlane Tue 04-Aug-15 11:50:18

Ok, 'inspired' by another thread, which is the first time i have seen this raised, is there anything else that's an 'anti-woman' phrase that I dont know about? (i'm not having a personal dig at the poster,even if its looking like that, but seriously this is the first time i have seen this)

First World problem
nouninformal
plural noun: First World problems
a relatively trivial or minor problem or frustration (implying a contrast with serious problems such as those that may be experienced in the developing world).
"it's a First World problem, but still if you're staying at a 5-star resort you expect some decent service"

EatShitDerek Tue 04-Aug-15 11:54:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DawnOfTheDoggers Tue 04-Aug-15 11:56:29

BestZebbie Tue 04-Aug-15 11:57:22

I'm not convinced it is as gendered as you seem toi think, although it is frequently used in an unintentionally racist way - eg:
'oh no, I've run out of printer ink with one page to go #FirstWorldProblem' --> implying that this couldn't possibly happen in the developing world because there are no printers at all there, etc.

DJThreeDog Tue 04-Aug-15 11:57:27

I don't think it's anti woman at all.

It just so happens to be the majority of posters on this site are women.

And your example has nothing to do with either men or women. It's about holiday makers.

Either you're not explaining yourself well OP or I am missing something! confused

ChwatFeechers Tue 04-Aug-15 11:57:37

Nor me.

ThisNameIsBetterThanMyRealOne Tue 04-Aug-15 11:57:38

Makes not a jot of sense to me either.

KittensOnAPlane Tue 04-Aug-15 12:01:30

there is another post (i'm not linking as the issue in the thread is not that relevant) where a poster has put the above

First World Problems is used to keep women down (slightly different wording) and i just thought WTF? is this yet another thing thats anti-women!?!

AuntyMag10 Tue 04-Aug-15 12:01:51

Fgs must everything be seen as 'anti-woman' or an issue hmm

KittensOnAPlane Tue 04-Aug-15 12:02:18

sorry, i linked the definition as thats how i see it, not as the patriarchy putting women down

KittensOnAPlane Tue 04-Aug-15 12:04:07

i dont think its anti-women, its just a phrase/saying but i have seen posted as that, and thought FFS

Pootles2010 Tue 04-Aug-15 12:04:08

Well i think it depends on the context, but no its not normally gendered at all, and I don't think I've ever heard anyone say it is?

Bubblesinthesummer Tue 04-Aug-15 12:04:40

Fgs must everything be seen as 'anti-woman' or an issue hmm

^ this

EatShitDerek Tue 04-Aug-15 12:05:05

Birdsgottafly Tue 04-Aug-15 12:07:01

I've seen so many men (and towards men), that I don't see FWP, as being gendered.

The men who hashtag it after their posts on FB, are usually posting about KFC running out of Popcorn chicken, or the Tesco not having any of their favourite doughnuts/cakes etc left.

I see it used on here to try to shut a thread down, because "their are bigger issues happening in the world", which is ridiculous.

DawnOfTheDoggers Tue 04-Aug-15 12:07:15

WorraLiberty Tue 04-Aug-15 12:09:52

The phrase 'fist world problem' should never be taken seriously, because we're living in the first world, so what other bloody problems would we have? grin

I mostly on see/hear it used in jest and never in a gendered way.

But if someone has tried to make it a 'patriarchy' thing, I imagine they'd be just ask likely to do the same with any phrase.

DJThreeDog Tue 04-Aug-15 12:17:31

Well I haven't seen the thread so veiled comments about it doesn't make what you're trying to say any clearer!

Can you link to it?

Lelania Tue 04-Aug-15 12:51:00

I think it's more to do with reminding people that there are others with much greater problems than them in the world. I don't think it's gendered.

KittensOnAPlane Tue 04-Aug-15 13:17:36

ok, its this one

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/relationships/2440816-WWYD?

KittensOnAPlane Tue 04-Aug-15 13:18:45

what i am trying to say is that yet another phrase or comment has now been 'claimed' by the 'feminists'(?) on MN

KittensOnAPlane Tue 04-Aug-15 13:19:07

(or seems to be)

uglyswan Tue 04-Aug-15 13:25:50

So one poster on the thread you've linked says: " 'first world problem' is a disparaging term the patriarchy people use to keep women down" - and it's "yet another phrase or comment has now been 'claimed' by the 'feminists'(?) on MN". Bit of a stretch, OP...

InTheBox Tue 04-Aug-15 13:32:13

What uglyswan said. Quite a leap of logic there.

Postino Tue 04-Aug-15 13:41:30

Agree with the leap of logic.

Why are people to keen to lay into feminism? As if it's a threat to us (women) or something confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now