To think teeth 'pulling' with coconut oil is hocus pocus?

(59 Posts)
elizadolittlechoc Wed 24-Jun-15 20:52:04

I've just spent 20 minutes with my gob full of Waitrose virgin coconut oil because I read that it has fantastic properties for oral hygiene and whitens your teeth. Admittedly, it is said to take a couple of weeks, but are there any professionals who can confirm?grin

MaggieJoyBlunt Wed 24-Jun-15 21:03:37

It's retch-inducingly revolting, I know that.

blueduvet Wed 24-Jun-15 21:06:35

Not sure, but I used to put coconut oil in my morning coffee as I'd read about the health benefits.

Just thinking about it and remembering the taste makes me want to barf.

QuiteLikely5 Wed 24-Jun-15 21:07:39

Someone on the style boards swears by this. She said her dentist said her teeth were brilliant. I think it was to do with plaque though rather than whitening.

Mrsmorton Wed 24-Jun-15 21:10:43

You would be far better spending 4 minutes flossing and brushing than 20min swishing around oil. Trufact.

YANBU.

UnspecialSnowflake Wed 24-Jun-15 21:11:26

Apparently it's the swilling action and the length of time you do it for (about 10mins?) which makes the difference, not the coconut oil. Swilling with water would work just as well.

patterkiller Wed 24-Jun-15 21:12:43

Gives me the trotts. Vile stuff.

loveareadingthanks Thu 25-Jun-15 09:02:17

It's bullshit. It's the time and constant swilling that is good, not using an oil. There was a proper study done comparing it to swilling with mouthwash for the same time and the results were the same.

PurpleDaisies Thu 25-Jun-15 09:06:54

www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/oil-pulling-your-leg/

If you have no access to actual toothpaste maybe use it out of desperation but if you do it is a total waste of time.

PurpleDaisies Thu 25-Jun-15 09:08:20

I read that it has fantastic properties for oral hygiene and whitens your teeth.

Where did you read this? Not a reputable source I suspect....

AreYouThinkingWhatImThinking Thu 25-Jun-15 09:12:37

I read it on Mumsnet! I had some Virgin coconut oil in so I gave it a bash...

EUUUURGH!! BLEUUUUURGH! BARF!

I threw up in just seconds of having that shit in my mouth. My stomach couldn't handle it. I felt truly sick all day as I couldn't stop thinking about it all day!

Whether it dies or doesn't work I shan't be trying it again

Elllimam Thu 25-Jun-15 09:28:10

I've been doing it for a couple of weeks and my teeth do look whiter.

Plexie Thu 25-Jun-15 10:26:22

I saw a television programme (Channel 4 I think) that tested 'pulling' with oil compared with distilled water. Both sets of people had considerable improvement (I think they just measured bacteria or something, not whiteness of teeth) and the people who used oil had slightly better results than those of used distilled water. But the overall conclusion was that swilling itself was the main factor, not the coconut oil.

The programme was a bit like Dragon's Den for science claims: people would explain their idea to a panel who would decide which to investigate scientifically. Does any one know what the programme was?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 25-Jun-15 10:37:27

I do and have done for months, I don't do it for 20 mins, I do it for about 5 or 10. Teeth are visibly whiter. My mum's teeth have whitened so much the dentist commented on it, we took before and after photos,the difference is amazing. Teeth feel lovely after doing it too and tastes like Bountys so that's a bonus wink

specialsubject Thu 25-Jun-15 10:39:13

so as posted above, it will work the same whatever substance you use. Water comes out of the tap and doesn't taste nasty.

Trumpity Thu 25-Jun-15 10:43:12

I don't get how people can't be arsed to brush and floss properly, taking 5 mins (spend a few mins longer if you want!) yet will spend 20 swilling with coconut oil.

I'm a dental hygienist. And banging my head against a brick wall.

Mrsmorton Thu 25-Jun-15 10:48:06

I feel your pain trumpity I had a patient last week with rampant AUG (trench mouth essentially from smoking and not brushing etc) and he was telling me how amazing this oil pulling is confused

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 25-Jun-15 10:49:46

Why do you think people don't floss and brush as well?

Trumpity Thu 25-Jun-15 10:50:46

Sorry I was generalising. But in general, this is my experience!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 25-Jun-15 10:52:30

Ah right, not the case with people I know, we're rushers and flossersgrin

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 25-Jun-15 10:54:24

Brushers hmmgrin

ihatethecold Thu 25-Jun-15 10:58:32

I don't think I want to ask what Trench mouth is! shock

Stratter5 Thu 25-Jun-15 12:43:16

I do, what's Trench Mouth?

Oil pulling has been debunked, and I cannot see how it can possibly whiten teeth, more like you've become more conscientious about keeping your teeth clean, so they look better.

Anyway, back to Trench Mouth. Pics please.

KoalaDownUnder Thu 25-Jun-15 12:53:37

YANBU

It is bollocks.

WhattodowithMum Thu 25-Jun-15 12:55:59

If you think you have an infection in your gums and you want to try something "wholistic," go for Golden Seal Tea instead. You buy it in specialty healthfood shops as a fine golden brown powder. You brew it as a tea and swish with it everyday. It is expensive and has a bitter taste, but it does work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now