To find 5yr olds singing "Sexy ladies" quite disturbing?!

(33 Posts)
OneDayAtATime0 Fri 08-May-15 11:18:52

DS this morning started doing this silly dance and tune that the boys in his class do with different words but this morning it was "sexy ladies".. was quite shocked apparently this other boy with a history taught them it.

I told him he shouldn't say that and it's a grown up word but not sure if i'm over-reacting to be pretty shocked by this.

helenahandbag Fri 08-May-15 11:22:23

Does he know what it means? I remember singing along to the radio when I was much younger and my mum butted in to tell me that the song was about sex, I was mortified.

Witchofthenorth Fri 08-May-15 11:23:05

I'm not sure to be honest. My 3 year old loves the song gangnam style and sings the "oooo sexy ladies" part over and over and over again. But then he just likes the tune. I know, not much help I'm sorry.

partialderivative Fri 08-May-15 11:25:48

Not sure, my dd sang 'Doncha wish your girlfriend was hot like me' on the bus when she was about 6.

I didn't try to stop her as she had no real idea what she was saying, and I didn't want her to feel guilt about something she didn't really understand.

FishCanFly Fri 08-May-15 11:26:17

A year ago i made a grave mistake to take my 5yo to a festival where the Wurzeln were performing. "I am a cider drinker" became his favorite.

Housewife2010 Fri 08-May-15 11:26:48

I was a party at the weekend where the children's entertainer played this song. At the dubious part, he sang "Ooh chips and gravy" which the children loved and joined in with.

FishCanFly Fri 08-May-15 11:27:06

Wurzels i mean

PerspicaciaTick Fri 08-May-15 11:40:19

My DS has developed the unnerving habit of reversing towards people, wiggling his bottom and singing "don't you wish your girlfriend was a freak like me". Thanks a bundle moneysupermarket.

OneDayAtATime0 Fri 08-May-15 11:41:11

haha fish bet you regretted that one grin

no i asked him if he knew what it meant he said no thankfully!

FishCanFly Fri 08-May-15 11:47:55

If your child likes to sing, maybe you can find a catchy not-so-embarrassing song?

ScorpioMermaid Fri 08-May-15 11:51:10

My 5 year old DS loves Gangnam Style. hes always singing "hey, sexy ladies" but it's just part of the song. I wouldn't think too much of it to be honest.

Dublinlass Fri 08-May-15 11:51:20

My 3 year old sings this all the time and wiggles about to it. Its her bloody older brothers that got her doing it. They thought it was hilarious, my 80 year ma didntsad

OneDayAtATime0 Fri 08-May-15 11:56:53

i'd forgotten about gangnam style! he did like singing that when it was on the radio but he wasnt singing that earlier it was this humming and dancing they do interspersed with "sexy ladies"

Morelikeguidelines Fri 08-May-15 11:56:57

My dd has amusingly changed this to "Saxon ladies" (inadvertently - she thought these were the words due to, I understand, and overload of horrible histories!)

flora717 Fri 08-May-15 11:58:58

My daughter got me a look. She was singing "tequila, it makes me happy".

lovestodazzel00 Fri 08-May-15 13:25:17

Yabu to find it disturbing. Also to stress the boy who taught him had a history.nits a catchy song. You,ll have a long life blaming other 5 year old especially those with history (wink

SaucyJack Fri 08-May-15 13:40:21

Yes, it sounds grim to an adults ears but it really doesn't mean anything to a small child.

I remember the glory days at primary school when Ebeneezer Goode came out. Our parents were mortified.

Fooshufflewickbannanapants Fri 08-May-15 14:23:59

My kids all sing "snotty babies" to gangnam style grin

AuntieStella Fri 08-May-15 14:27:07

Mine go for 'sexy piglet' (I think it's from the Minecraft parody)

MagicMojito Fri 08-May-15 14:35:10

I remember being 7 and riding round asda on the trolley singing " I'm horny, horny horny horny tonight!" Much to parents horror and embarrassment grin

DD is 3 and sings pop songs. Most of them probably have mildly inappropriate lyrics but I don't lose sleep over it.

ScarySpiceMum Fri 08-May-15 14:44:14

YANU - I don't find it much better than singing a song with the F word.
Some words are for adults
Some songs are for adults
So what?

smiffy54 Fri 08-May-15 14:53:19

My kids and my nephew in the back of the car; between 7&9 years ish, me and my mum in the front. What a nice song, says grandma, aren't you singing nicely. It was Wet dream by Max Romeo (lie down girl let me push it up, push it up, etc.) Thankfully she's a bit deaf, and they KNEW the song was about a man trying to mend a hole in the ceiling! Cue hasty withdrawal of all reggae/ska cd's from the car, before they discovered "Don't stroke my Pussy" and "Big Seven"

Morelikeguidelines Fri 08-May-15 15:12:04

I remember Ebeneezer Goode! I was older than primary school age though...

DonnaKebab66 Fri 08-May-15 15:20:47

I'm another who remembers singing songs about sex and stuff long before I realised what it was all about. I didn't lose my virginity till I was 20, so clearly it didn't mean I was damaged and it didn't lead to early experimentation or anything

NKfell Fri 08-May-15 16:05:11

When I was 8ish I used to sing "I wanna have sex on the beach"...Didn't know what it meant, I assumed it related to jazz in some way (my uncle plays the sax!) and then my Mum told me 'it' was a bad word...so I said "no Mum, it's 'beach' not the b word". I think my Mum just gave up and said not to sing it!

My 5 year old sometimes (always whilst surrounded by other hysterical daft 5 yr olds) twerks...I don't have a clue where he's got it from or why so I do the blanket telling off- "stop being silly". I'm not shocked though, I just think he's being...silly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now