to think DH should be supportive or at least STFU when I've got PMS?

(55 Posts)

I'm prepared for folk to tell me IABU. After all, I have PMS grin

Basically, some months I have PMS for about a week, during which things that would normally be a mild irritant make me snarl. When this happens DH often says stuff like "Oh, this is going to be a GREAT day" or he gives me 'you're-a-psycho' looks.

AIBU to think if he can't say anything nice during this period, he should STFU?!

Fucking men. That is all.

SquigglySquid Sun 13-Jul-14 00:16:42

Just saying....... "Go to your GP..." shouldn't be suggested with such confidence that it WILL work

I think the subtext was to just take personal responsibility instead of blaming it on her poor DH once a month. If she's really that moody, she needs to work on it, not blame him for not putting up with it.

Lweji Sun 13-Jul-14 00:16:51

Even if the OP can't treat it, and does suffer immensely, there is no reason to expect her OH to STFU or to say "fucking men".
Take responsibility for your behaviour.

DoJo Sun 13-Jul-14 00:39:25

Personally, I interpreted 'go to your GP' as a suggestion of a place to start for the OP to get some advice and information, not because I believe that there is a magic pill which will fix all ills. I'm sure there are a number of therapies that are worth trying, and the GP is a good place to start for referrals, a professional opinion, tests to ensure that the OP is experiencing PMT rather than some other hormonal problem or any other route towards making her and her husband's lives easier. If you have a better suggestion of where the OP can begin to seek help, then maybe you should offer it rather than criticising those who have recommended it as a starting point.

Goblinchild Sun 13-Jul-14 05:49:02

GP can offer counselling and anger-management support as well though, not just drugs. It's not the severity of the PMS, it's how the OP is not dealing with it and lashing out verbally at her partner and probably others that needs some support.
Would you want to work with a colleague who was out of control once a month?

Goblinchild Sun 13-Jul-14 05:52:52

Her DH can be supportive by ensuring that whilst she's unable to function rationally, the household and family continue to run as smoothly as possible and he deals with the children and the chores without her support, or finds a way of enabling that through family and friends or paid support.
Or he could just STFU and LTB.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now