To spray a deodorant in the shop?

(75 Posts)
SublimeCorpse Wed 09-Jul-14 16:42:38

Just a tiny squirt, into the lid of the can to see if I like the smell?

Apparently IABVU and it's parents like me that allow their kids to do this that cause teachers to worry for the next generation shock

AllDirections Wed 09-Jul-14 17:55:11

I never do but I know that others do so I never buy the ones at the front and I always give them a shake just to check it's not half empty grin

SpeedofSound0 Wed 09-Jul-14 17:56:56

When I see a new fragrance come out, I spray and sniff first. But I look for any travel pack sizes first.

My local supermarket has pick 'n' mix type boxes in the H&B aisle with different types of travel pack personal hygiene products in them.

I use a roll-on and a spray, but sometimes if I run out of spray I will use my OH designer deodorant spray, it is lovely.

I test air freshner first too. I have never been told off anywhere by anyone. So no, YANBU

Billygoats Wed 09-Jul-14 18:20:11

YABU for the fact other people don't want to be buying a half sprayed can.

Do you try all your food products before buying too incase they are not to your liking?

MrsWinnibago Wed 09-Jul-14 18:23:16

YABU unless it's marked as a tester! It's like people opening random body spray, perfume or nail polish!

PipkinsPal Wed 09-Jul-14 18:25:01

YABU. That is why I never pick up the deodorant from the front of the shelf to buy. I always reach behind for a full can that no-one has used.

Passthecake30 Wed 09-Jul-14 18:25:47

I do this and then take a different one

starfishmummy Wed 09-Jul-14 18:27:31

Sublime you say that you always buy the one you spray from. In which case if you are going to buy it anyway you don't need to test it!!

Thisismyfirsttime Wed 09-Jul-14 18:39:07

I do! And air freshener. I know it's bad though so I do it very discreetly, then buy the one I sprayed from if I like it. Why would people steal the testers and not full cans? I suppose it's one of those little oddities, my BIL worked as an undercover security guard and had many stories of the peculiar things people do that you wouldn't even think of!

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Wed 09-Jul-14 18:47:54

my BIL worked as an undercover security guard and had many stories of the peculiar things people do that you wouldn't even think of! oooh do tell

tilliebob Wed 09-Jul-14 18:49:21

I haven't done that since I was a teenager in the 80's. Not something I ever see folk doing in Boots, either.

BeanyIsPregnant Wed 09-Jul-14 19:10:12

thisismyfirsttime I'm way more interested in uncovered security guard stories than I am about people spraying stuff.. Do tell!

coffeeinbed Wed 09-Jul-14 19:13:42

I only ever buy unscented.

Don't want to go round smelling of air freshener or a melon-cucumber hybrid.

i do, not that i buy them often, mainly lynx for DS and i dont buy the one i sprayed - i am officially BU

SpeedofSound0 Wed 09-Jul-14 19:18:32

I have seen men and women doing this in branches of Boots and Waitrose in different parts of the country tilliebob

In fact in Waitrose once, a rather posh lady opened a pot from a new line of yogurt that had come in, took out a spoon and tasted it in the aisle. I was shock. An assistant saw my face and told me that she does it all the time, but because she has shopped at the store for over 20 years and is very rich, the branch manager turns a blind eye. She spends a fortune in there.

It is a true story, and it was in the local newspaper apparently a few years ago. I didn't see the article though, so I am not sure whether that is true or not.

SublimeCorpse Wed 09-Jul-14 20:43:02

Ok so quite a few of us do this!

Just to clarify, if I smell 3 and like the 3rd, I buy only that one but don't put it back to get a fresh one, I buy the one I tested.

I was shocked though that the other customer had a go at me, then told me that she is a teacher and that parents like me (dd was with me) will be the downfall of the next generation! Surely she wbu!

I used to do it but it's harder now that some have the nozzle built into the lid in a twisty device. Dove and imperial leather are keeping it traditional for the time being.

If you had a DC with you then I would agree with her, you are teaching her bad habits.

BolshierAyraStark Wed 09-Jul-14 21:31:41

I do this blush

poppytripll Wed 09-Jul-14 21:35:59

Yabu.it's deodorant, if you're worried you may not like the fragrance buy an unscented one or a roll on.

londonrach Wed 09-Jul-14 21:44:01

I do it too if new. Hate roll ins they hurt

Permanentlyexhausted Wed 09-Jul-14 23:12:05

It's a wierd and irritating thing to do. What made you think that anyone else walking down the aisle after you wished to smell the lingering aroma of deoderant?

I used to work in a supermarket and I remember one woman and her daughter regularly came in and sprayed themselves with Impulse. Theft, I seem to remember the manager referred to it as when he finally banned them. Spraying it inside the lid probably wouldn't be enough to earn that description but I'd still be tempted to give you my best cat's bum face if I saw you. It's just not very classy is it?!

Notso Wed 09-Jul-14 23:31:54

I do this if DH asks me to get him deodorant. He never has a preference except one that's on offer and some of them reek.
Shops should do testers if they don't want people to do it.
I don't mind buying a can with a bit squirted out.

Eminybob Wed 09-Jul-14 23:39:43

I think it's weird that people think this is an ok thing to do, but most people wouldn't dream of doing it with food. (Apart from waitrose yoghurt lady).

Why is that do you think?

Notso Fri 11-Jul-14 08:01:29

You can do it with food though, a good deli counter will let you try things, shops often have samples of new products.

WaitMonkey Fri 11-Jul-14 08:05:27

If people want to try products like in a deli, then shop's should meet customer demand and have testers. It shouldn't mean people spray a deodorant, than someone else is going to buy. I hope most people wouldn't open a tube of handcream or body lotion and have a squirt to see if they liked the smell. So what's the difference ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now