My neighbour just had a right go at me.

(41 Posts)
WiganandSalfordLocalEditor Mon 16-Jun-14 14:53:59

I share a main front door with my neighbour but we have our own doors inside too (flats in a converted house) and as a result share the letterbox. We have a very similar address (think 26 and 26b)

This has not been an issue, we just leave post in the hall for the other person.

My neighbour (who i don't know that well) has just really had a go, basically he has accussed me of running up credit and blacklisting his address because 'loads' of mail keeps coming for 26 rather than 26b, I honestly had not noticed this So have just gone through ALL my letters and none say 26 all say 26b apart from the one he had taken Of mine and kept to prove his point. This was a letter from a charity and I opened it in front of him.

I explained they had just probably missed the B off but he went mad and accussed me of lying and all sorts.

I have apparently been rushing downstairs early (postman does not even come until 1pm ish and I am not even home Friday to Sunday night) to get the post before him , he said this was unreasonable because he was not bothered about his post and could leave it there for days, I work from home so need mine. He doesn't work.
Apparently I rushed through the door too the other day when he was checking his meter and I had come back with the kids after being out and picked up a letter and dd asked if it was mine (so i am guilty apparently)

I am really worked up. I cannot think what 'all' these letters may be as none of my letter file does not have the b after my number.

I have rang the charity and asked them to add the b to their letters but I am utterly terrified what will happen if someone misses it off.

I have told him if he gets any to bring them and I will open them in front of him but I am just a liar who thinks he must be fucking stupid apparently.

He is an idiot. Tell him if he's so concerned he should phone the police, you have nothing to hide.

WiganandSalfordLocalEditor Mon 16-Jun-14 15:00:40

Can I just add his address has not be blacklisted by me at all, he has said he has never applied for credit and he is getting letters for massive amounts from someone before he lived here.
He has also told me his water bill is in a relatives name and his other relative uses his address for insurance because its much higher in the rough area the relative lives in and has asked me not to return the letters to that name if I see them.

His argument is I must be lying because no one adds b to his they only miss the b off mine. He did not get why they might miss the b off.

TaliZorahVasNormandy Mon 16-Jun-14 15:03:17

Do a credit rating and show it to him. What an idiot.

Hobbes8 Mon 16-Jun-14 15:06:38

Tell him to fuck off or you'll report him for insurance fraud.

WiganandSalfordLocalEditor Mon 16-Jun-14 15:06:40

I said to him you would have to be really stupid to do what he accuses as if i did that and did not pay and a dca came round he would just show them right door.

Apparently he has told his big family who live in very well known rough area on me...

SignoraStronza Mon 16-Jun-14 15:06:49

Well, just politely let him know that his rellies are committing fraud and write 'rts - not known at this address' on mail addressed to them.

BlackeyedSusan Mon 16-Jun-14 15:07:23

he is lying about his reli's insurance and he accuses you. cheeky bugger!

WiganandSalfordLocalEditor Mon 16-Jun-14 15:08:31

I cant do a credit rating on his address can i though. He has accussed me of using my name his address. [Wtf face] Do I tell landlord?

Floralnomad Mon 16-Jun-14 15:09:13

Would it be possible to put 2 post boxes on the wall outside so that the postman can deliver 26 to one box and 26b to the other .

Theodorous Mon 16-Jun-14 15:10:02

That is just horrible. People are so nasty sometimes. Ignoring his nuttiness how awful that you have to share a door with him. He is completely at fault and I too would be tempted to report the insurance fraud. Nice to hear you live in a safe area though I guess.

lastnightIwenttoManderley Mon 16-Jun-14 15:10:11

Errr...so he's helping someone commit insurance fraud and (indirectly) drive an uninsured vehicle? Insurers aren't stupid.

Sounds like he needs to sort his own affairs out before having a go at you. I'd also be questioning just how much post he's getting for you. Sounds like it's minimal anyway.

Try not to let it get to you, hard as it may be.

Objection Mon 16-Jun-14 15:10:33

Don't do a credit rating!! Too many credit checks affect it!
) just smile and nod, what a fricking loon

lastnightIwenttoManderley Mon 16-Jun-14 15:10:51

Oops...crossed posts!

OfficerVanHalen Mon 16-Jun-14 15:11:51

Tell hin he needs to write off to experian and all the others for a credit report. It is the nature of living in flats and/or rented accommodation that sometimes your credit rating can get fucked up, it is absolutely NO ONE'S FAULT, it'd his responsibility as an adult to keep track of these things, and i would tell him that you don't want to fall out, but you also don't appreciate being spoken to aggressively and having your post interfered with.

ChasedByBees Mon 16-Jun-14 15:12:16

Definitely tell the landlord. If he's swearing at you and being aggressive then you can also call the police.

TickleMePurple Mon 16-Jun-14 15:12:45

Credit ratings aren't attached to addresses any more they are attached to people. But that's irrelevant, you should be getting support/advice if you're "terrified" of what will happen if a mis-addressed letter arrives. Do you have the same landlord?

FesterAddams Mon 16-Jun-14 15:13:11

He has also told me his water bill is in a relatives name and his other relative uses his address for insurance ... and has asked me not to return the letters to that name if I see them.

Bollocks to that. He's commiting fraud and there's no reason you should enable it. When the insurance etc find out this might also affect your credit rating.

Just keep on doing what you're doing - take mail addressed to you, leave mail addressed to him, and return everything else to sender.

HecatePropylaea Mon 16-Jun-14 15:14:46

Sounds like he's judging you by his standards.

I'd consider getting individual letterboxes mounted on the walls outside. With a good lock.

fubbsy Mon 16-Jun-14 15:17:54

Don't engage with this person any more, he is a nutter. He thinks you are lying, but you know you are telling the truth. Nothing you do will ever please him.

Neither you nor he has any control of what letters get sent to your house or how other people address those letters. You won't win the argument because he is not being rational.

WiganandSalfordLocalEditor Mon 16-Jun-14 15:22:09

Lastnight hardly any, i have not noticed any at all tbh apart from this charity letter, all the other official letters, bills etc are definately in MY number. Only other post I get is dds build a bear and lego mag and I am sure they say B

Yes same landlord.

wowfudge Mon 16-Jun-14 15:33:34

Just to be absolutely sure there is no confusion, I would contact Experian and get a copy of your credit history. If anyone else's name appears on there connected specifically to your address you can create a disassociation so it is clear they have nothing to do with you.

HopefulMum111 Mon 16-Jun-14 15:46:03

I used to live in a flat that was known as 1, 1B and GFF. The other flat was known as 1, 1A and FFF. We both often had mail addressed to Name at 1 Street and it was never a problem. The issue for credit is the name it is being taken out in - lots of companies these days input addresses by searching under a postcode and get it a bit wrong.

Difficult as it is, just smile sweetly and say you haven't done any of the things he is saying and if you feel threatened or intimidated, then call the police. It would be easy to report him for insurance purposes, but remember that you have to go on living there with him.

WiganandSalfordLocalEditor Mon 16-Jun-14 18:18:51

I have just gone back and confronted him, he said its because I go down and get my post daily on my way out and because he doesn't come down for days sometimes I usually get there first. I prop his post up for him. He is not concerned I am taking his post just finds it weird that I get there first most days because I am on my way out confused apparently I am weird because I am bothered about getting my post the day it comes when he is not bothered about his.

He said would I rather he had gone to landlord or police with the letter saying I was using his address and I replied I was happy for him to take the charity walk invitation to the police all he wanted.

He said he was getting letters every week with the b missing which I am baffled as I have gone through all my letters to check and all my bills, bank stuff etc is ALL in the B address so heavens knows who is writing all these letters to me not.

WiganandSalfordLocalEditor Mon 16-Jun-14 18:20:13

He apparently has not seen the post arrive for eight months but yet has seen all these letters missing the B.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now