Webchat with Tristram Hunt, Labour education shadow, MONDAY 27 April at 12 midday ×

to think our Prime Minister's favourite book shouldn't be a children's history book from 1905

(74 Posts)
kim147 Sun 15-Jun-14 17:08:56

"Magna Carta, which was signed by King John in 1215, is “a great document in our history,” Mr Cameron said, adding: “It is what my favourite book, ‘Our Island Story’, describes as the ‘foundation of all our laws and liberties’. In sealing it, King John had to accept his subjects were citizens – for the first time giving them rights, protections and security.""

www.amazon.co.uk/Our-Island-Story-History-Victoria/dp/1903386527

It's an interesting choice of book. But his favourite?

CatKisser Sun 15-Jun-14 17:13:18

Did you really expect him to admit he curls up on a night with a Jodi Picoult? grin
I thought it was a very dull choice.

TheBogQueen Sun 15-Jun-14 17:13:26

Frankly he'd say '50 Shades of grey' if his PR team thought it would get him more votes.

DoJo Sun 15-Jun-14 17:13:31

Why not? Do you not believe him? What would you prefer him to have said?

kim147 Sun 15-Jun-14 17:16:08

I don't believe him. I can think of some great history books which go into detail about our country and analsyse all the arguments, discussions etc.

I'll admit I've not looked at it But it is a History of Britain for boys and girls. At least girls are included though.

Bluestocking Sun 15-Jun-14 17:16:26

What TheBogQueen said. He's an android cunningly fashioned out of spam, he doesn't have any normal human preferences, he just does what his PR team tell him.

LuluJakey1 Sun 15-Jun-14 17:25:58

It is jingoistic rubbish which pedals all the 'values' the Tories like to be seen to represent regarding Britain. That's why he said it. It matches entirely with all the stuff at the moment about British values/ Muslims/ Bradford Schools etc.

He wants to win votes and be seen as the embodiment of 'I Vow To Thee My Country'. Lives on another planet! They all do.

David Cameron, Old Etonion, Cambridge University PPE, married to the daughter of a Baron and the step-daughter of a Lord, second home in the Cotswold's, Tory Prime Minister. The Old Order.

MollyHooper Sun 15-Jun-14 17:29:32

I would really hate to be stuck in a lift with this man.

TheScottishPlay Sun 15-Jun-14 17:32:44

I agree Lulu, his choice is the perfect antidote to the Bradford schools problems and those difficult Scots demanding independence and such like.

TheScottishPlay Sun 15-Jun-14 17:36:05

Sorry, Birmingham schools.

dawndonnaagain Sun 15-Jun-14 17:38:48

That's not even an accurate portrayal of King John. Outmoded, outdated and wrong. He wasn't actually that much of a baddie and was at least here unlike his brother who was busy shagging blokes killing folk in the name of religion, elsewhere.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sun 15-Jun-14 17:39:18

I don't have a problem with his favourite book being a children's history book, although I doubt it's anything other than PR spin. I would much prefer it if it was a decent, accurate history book rather than the total bollocks that is 'Our Island Story'.

gordyslovesheep Sun 15-Jun-14 17:40:44

the PM can read ...?

TheScottishPlay Sun 15-Jun-14 17:41:03

Since when did the truth matter to a Tory?

Frontier Sun 15-Jun-14 17:41:57

When/where was he speaking? Was it a prepared speech? I'd struggle if someone asked me my favourite bbook and give a different answer every week, but yes, it does seem like a pr spent a long time coming up with that one.

norkmonster Sun 15-Jun-14 17:43:28

Ahem, cameron went to Brasenose College OXFORD. Don't tar us tabs with that brush.

<misses point of thread spectacularly>

LuluJakey1 Sun 15-Jun-14 17:46:29

nork Sorry- completely understand why it would be an insult! grin

TheAmazingChandler Sun 15-Jun-14 17:48:38

If I had to guess his fave book then that's what I'd go for. It's all about the brave and true English people and how marvellous they are. 'Our island' is stretching it really, it's very English.

KurriKurri Sun 15-Jun-14 17:50:36

He picked a child's history book, when there is a wealth of world literature to choose from. Are we to conclude he is not a great reader ?

His choice is either a depressing truth or a knobbish PR inspired lie.

What's Gideon's favourite? Millie Molly Mandy?

RevoltingPeasant Sun 15-Jun-14 17:56:02

Maybe Nork, but are you not responsible for Prince Charles? <stern look>

MollyHooper Sun 15-Jun-14 17:57:03

I would go with a depressing truth, it fits perfectly with the image I have of him.

Dull as dishwater and about as deep as an average cow pat.

Not sure how to compare it to George Bush's saying one of his childhood favourites was Very Hungry Caterpillar.

WallyBantersJunkBox Sun 15-Jun-14 18:04:51

Childhood favorite????grin

Fideliney Sun 15-Jun-14 18:06:50

Is his from an interview with ine of the Sundays? <uninformed>

Fideliney Sun 15-Jun-14 18:07:11

this^ one^

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now