to ask a lady to move her luggage out of the space designated for w/c users, so I could put my buggy there?

(69 Posts)
MrsMicawber Mon 12-May-14 17:55:14

Buggies trump luggage, surely?
Fwiw she refused to move it.

Flossyfloof Mon 12-May-14 17:56:13

Hahahahaha!

Pipbin Mon 12-May-14 17:57:08

Why do buggies trump luggage?

2rebecca Mon 12-May-14 17:57:52

buggies are luggage she got there first.

Nomama Mon 12-May-14 17:57:52

Do I hear 'Bingo'?

Nomama Mon 12-May-14 17:58:45

Oh oh oh! This is where MNers offer the biscuit isn't it? I haven't managed to get in first before. I hope this is the moment

biscuit

BobPatandIgglePiggle Mon 12-May-14 17:59:03

I hope people will move * themselves* from the luggage / buggy / wc area on the metro but if their luggage is there first it trumps my buggy

MrsMicawber Mon 12-May-14 17:59:31

Buggies are not luggage! They are made for transporting people!

frasersmummy Mon 12-May-14 18:01:12

for clarity was there a small person sleeping in this buggy ??

2rebecca Mon 12-May-14 18:01:13

but on a bus you put the baby on your knee and fold up the buggy itself which is then just luggage. it's not like a wheelchair where the person is unable to get out of the wheelchair.

MrsMicawber Mon 12-May-14 18:01:20

When Boris next comes on to ask us to vote for him we'll have to get him to clarify the hierarchy.

Assuming that your baby was staying in the buggy, then she should have moved her luggage. If, however, you wanted the space to put your folded buggy in, then it would count as luggage, in my opinion, and you were cheeky to ask her to move her luggage.

MrsMicawber Mon 12-May-14 18:02:30

I'm not comparing it to a wheelchair.

There was an empty luggage area (raised) which I pointed out to her. My baby was asleep.

SistersOfPercy Mon 12-May-14 18:02:32

And then one day OP came across the suitcase buggy and imploded
grin

Andrewofgg Mon 12-May-14 18:04:47

This is going to be a gem . . .

StarGazeyPond Mon 12-May-14 18:05:21

Maybe, like me, she couldn't lift it?

Forgettable Mon 12-May-14 18:06:14

Oh dear

What would you do OP if a wheelchair user needed the space?

Pipbin Mon 12-May-14 18:06:49

As a childless person I do get pissed of with the 'I have a baby so I'm more important than you' attitude from some people.

MrsMicawber Mon 12-May-14 18:07:37

My baby was asleep and a.i did not want to have to wake him. I offered to lift the luggage for her.

WooWooOwl Mon 12-May-14 18:07:41

Ywnbu to ask. But if she said no, then you should accept it graciously.

Why should she have to lift her heavy luggage into the raised area just so you didn't have to lift your own baby when she was there first?

frasersmummy Mon 12-May-14 18:08:11

well if there was a pram/wc space and a luggage space then yes common sense says luggage should be lifted up onto luggage space to allow the baby to travel

were you unable to travel because she wouldn't move it .. surely te driver could have helped to sort this out by making the best use of the space on his bus

Moxiechick Mon 12-May-14 18:08:24

This could have been me writing this! If its like the buses I use where there's a sign that says 'wheelchair and pram use'.
My baby is 9 months and I can't fold her buggy while holding her and her bag and my bag. If she could walk I would always fold it.
On Friday an elderly women refused to move her shopping trolley when I politely asked to move it aside for her so I could fit in. She then started having a go at me in front of everyone! The bus driver came and asked if she could move it and she just redirected the abuse at her!
Depending on the situation YANBU

MrsMicawber Mon 12-May-14 18:08:41

If a wheelchair user needed the space I'd wake my baby. But I wanted to avoid that, which I think is understandable.

passmethewineplease Mon 12-May-14 18:09:56

YANBU, People shouldn't put luggage in designated wheelchair and/or pushchair spots. Common sense tells you that. Whenever I have had luggage I've either put in on the overhead bit or the actual luggage spot.

SaucyJack Mon 12-May-14 18:10:12

Hopefully people were more understanding of your poor mum when she was lugging your pram around Pipbin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now