to ask what trypopphobia is?

(81 Posts)
ilikeyourface Sat 05-Apr-14 21:55:30

Too scared to google

I remember peering at a slice of pastrami with small holes in it when I was a child and trying to tell my mother that it was freaking me out. It wasn't very easy to explain! Anyway, I don't have the phobia, but those pictures do remind me of that pastrami...

Pipbin Sat 05-Apr-14 22:36:48
phantomnamechanger Sat 05-Apr-14 22:37:13

I don't "get" lots of phobias though Do-Jo....I know people who feel physically ill thinking about or touching plastic buttons, lots of people are terrified of clowns, DH has a real problem with heights..........but none of those bother me, everyones different

phantomnamechanger Sat 05-Apr-14 22:42:50

just because there are lots of fake/photoshopped pictures, does not mean the phobia does not exist. Holey patterns in nature eg sponges, bee hives, seed pods, spots, clusters of things......all very common

AND DO NOT GOOGLE THOSE BLOOMIN SURINAM TOADS IF YOU HAVE/MIGHT HAVE THIS PHOBIA, YOU WILL HAVE NIGHTMARES, THEY ARE GROSS

IdkickJilliansAss Sat 05-Apr-14 22:43:19

My DM got sweaty and panicky just thinking about what the pictures could be, imagine if she saw them!

Pipbin Sat 05-Apr-14 22:47:34

I'm not saying that the phobia is a fake, rather the images you get when you google it.

DonnaMoss Sat 05-Apr-14 22:52:14

I have this, it started years ago, a friend had one of those things that had all the pins in it and you put your hand in and it pushed all the pins through to make a hand shape on the other side (sorry thats a crap description). It made me freak out. I cant look at anything with holes in now without my skin crawling and itching all over. Also cant see anything like swarms of insects or flocks of birds flying on tv. The sanex adverts on tv make me retch when they zoom in on thousands of people from above. God I could puke just thinking about it.

NurseyWursey Sat 05-Apr-14 23:23:40

The first time I realised something was wrong was when I was about 9, and I looked at the inside of a pumpkin with all the seeds. I'll always remember that

Dominodonkey Sat 05-Apr-14 23:28:17

I have has this for years but only learnt the name recently. The multi eyed creature on monsters university starts me off and also the adverts which have loads of tessolated naked bodies.

Abbierhodes Sat 05-Apr-14 23:30:34

I absolutely do not understand this phobia. What is it based on? I mean, I know phobias are irrational, but they usually have some basis in truth...for example, a phobia of heights stems from the fact that in some situations you could actually fall and die. I know someone who has a phobia of all flying insects after she was stung by a bee as a small child and found it traumatic.
But how on earth can holes trigger any sort of primal fear?
Not being confrontational or intending to offend, but I genuinely don't get it.

NurseyWursey Sat 05-Apr-14 23:31:57

Abbie they don't all stem from something. Some people are scared of buttons, some of trees, fear of bright colours...

I don't know where it stems from but phobias don't have to stem from anything ha

DoJo Sat 05-Apr-14 23:35:43

phantomnamechanger

Sorry - I don't mean that I don't understand the phobia (although I don't but that's just because I don't have it), just that I am really surprised at how many people on here suffer from it when I have never met anyone in real life! Not in a disbelieving way, just that I would have thought I would have come across someone with it considering that it seems to be a fairly common one.

DoJo Sat 05-Apr-14 23:36:57

Now have re-read your post and can't tell whether you were agreeing with me or thought I was being arsey! Either way, I wasn't and I agree with what you posted. Not very AIBU of me to want to make sure that I'm not accidentally disagreeing with you, but there you go...! grin

DubBgoodToMe Sat 05-Apr-14 23:42:49

Oh FFS. Everyone said don't google it so obviously I did

Should have known better

<vomit face> confused

NurseyWursey Sat 05-Apr-14 23:45:37

DoJo I think in most people it triggers some sort of revulsion, but in some people like me we throw up, cry, go shaky and sweaty...

it's a bit like when people say they have a spider phobia but in fact just don't like them.

SinisterBuggyMonth Sun 06-Apr-14 00:55:09

?

This pops up on mumsnet occasionally

I am intrigued but I don't want to "catch" this phobia as I have enough things to stress about already!

I can look at a sponge without being scared, would I be ok.

Please someone DISCRIBE why this so bad so I don't have to google it, and not some kind of in-joke hoax.

pixiestix Sun 06-Apr-14 01:19:38

Argh, I so want to google it. I can't imagine what could be so bad about little holes.

Idocrazythings Sun 06-Apr-14 01:37:41

I like the pictures and find them quite intriguing, but then I also like nothing better than cleaning a lovely mucky wound!

PariahHairy Sun 06-Apr-14 01:42:42

It's the toad that gets me, urgh the toad.

TheVictorian Sun 06-Apr-14 01:51:39
HicDraconis Sun 06-Apr-14 02:39:34

SinisterBuggy - can't describe why it's so bad as personally I don't find it disturbing in the slightest. Some of the pictures and patterns are quite pretty smile

If you imagine penne pasta standing in a clump vertically in the pan, that's the sort of pattern that sets the reaction off in people who don't like it. Can't be more descriptive without posting a pic which would obviously be v inappropriate give the depth of reactions described ready.

Curious though, would a line or two of O characters (so printed rather than looking like a natural pattern) be as disturbing?

Waimaz Sun 06-Apr-14 02:45:35

YABU you could have easily googled it and found out all about it on your own. No need for asking such a question? What were you hoping the outcome would be? Im just curious?

ilikeyourface Sun 06-Apr-14 08:41:05

I was hoping the outcome would be what happened exactly, I found out what it was without having to see any pictures

RedFocus Sun 06-Apr-14 08:43:06

Yeah I googled ages ago and have developed it! I sent it to my ds who now has it too. My dm didn't react to it and neither did my dh. Very odd but I can't even think about it without it making my skin crawl. It actually makes me feel sick and I get a flood of saliva in my mouth. It's horrid.

hackmum Sun 06-Apr-14 08:53:26

I suffer from this. I wouldn't describe it as a phobia, exactly, more an extreme aversion. Very small things close together make me shudder. It seems quite rare, but recently we had someone visit our house and we invited her into the garden to look at the frogs in the pond (we have loads at the moment), and she had a look and said it really gave her the creeps to see so many frogs close together in one place, and I knew exactly what she meant. I was trying to suppress it (my DH thinks I'm mad) but it was really making my flesh crawl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now