aibu to HATE the bloody Grand National....

(109 Posts)
ThatVikRinA22 Sat 05-Apr-14 02:13:59

i cant watch.
i refuse to watch.
cruel horrendous barbaric stupid race. and for what?

hate the fucking thing. wish it was banned.

Bowlersarm Sat 05-Apr-14 18:07:26

Don't watch it if you'd rather not.

jellybeans Sat 05-Apr-14 18:07:48

YANBU. Many people are ignorant about what goes on, I was until a few years back. It's a grim thing, not a sport at all. But it makes money and that's all that matters sadly to many.

Thattimeofyearagain Sat 05-Apr-14 18:11:07

Why is it stupid Excusetypos ?

A small tap with a whip doesn't hurt the horse

Thattimeofyearagain Sat 05-Apr-14 18:12:40

Oh, and they do not "brutally whip" horses, FFS!

SelectAUserName Sat 05-Apr-14 18:19:06

The whips are air cushioned, so much of the force is dissipated by the air pocket. They are also used at the end of the race when the adrenaline in the horses' systems is at its highest, and adrenaline has the effect of reducing pain. Much of the effect of the whip is through the sound it makes, which encourages the horse to run away from it i.e. forwards, and also from the jockey waving it alongside the horse to keep it concentrating and running in a straight line.

Whip use in races is very tightly controlled and any jockey which uses it too frequently or too hard according to the rules will be banned. The bans are cumulative too, so if a jockey doesn't learn from his mistake first time, he will get a longer ban next time. Jockeys are paid per race so if they aren't riding because they're banned, they aren't earning so the incentive is there for them to stick to the rules.

JumpingJackSprat Sat 05-Apr-14 18:19:18

I agree op. How many athletics meets results are announced with "and no fatalities this year! " unfortunately as you say horses are expendable. Thousands of young horses are discarded by the industry and either shot or sold for an uncertain future in private homes where they may or may not be sympathetically retrained at huge cost in terms of time and money. If only the industry didn't ruin these horses in the first place. .. But of course money is king. Everyone at work looks askance at me when I refuse to do the syndicates. It's purely down to luck that no horses died this year.

Procrastinating Sat 05-Apr-14 18:22:41

Don't watch it if you'd rather not.

Horses still die if you don't watch it.

Procrastinating Sat 05-Apr-14 18:25:57

I'm not frothing by the way, I'm marking philosophy essays.

ExcuseTypos Sat 05-Apr-14 18:29:06

"They do not brutally whip the horses"

Have you SEEN them as they approach the finishing line! Which word would you use to describe them thrashing a horse numerous times?

ExcuseTypos Sat 05-Apr-14 18:31:41

Select you can not believe the horse isnt left in any pain (once the race finishes and the adrenaline has gone) from the numerous hits it has had?

SelectAUserName Sat 05-Apr-14 18:32:15

Excuse, read my post about the whip. Facts rather than emotive frothing.

ExcuseTypos Sat 05-Apr-14 18:35:50

Select I have read your post about the whip. Maybe you should try reading my question.

I'm not frothing thta's normally the accusation when someone can't answer the question put to them.

SelectAUserName Sat 05-Apr-14 18:39:06

X-post. I have seen with my own eyes many hundreds, if not thousands, of horses post-race. No marks on their coat, eyes bright, ears pricked. Happy to eat and drink, which a horse in pain won't do. No signs of pain whatsoever. That's because, as I explained at length, the whips are designed to produce the maximum effect with the mininum amount of pain or discomfort.

C4 showed the winner about half an hour after the race finished, so after the adrenaline will have dispersed. He was walking round happily, his ears pricked, standing up for the camera calmly with that 'look at me' presence of a happy relaxed horse. Anyone who knows horses can recognise both the signs of pain and the signs of an unstressed horse, and the winner was most definitely the latter.

Bearbehind Sat 05-Apr-14 18:40:03

What's the point in a beautiful talented horse if you risk it's life?

Exactly- what is the point?

If these horses didn't race they wouldn't exist.

YolandiFuckinVisser Sat 05-Apr-14 18:42:08

The horses are exploited for our pleasure, same as any other point at which humans come into contact with humans from the meat/dairy industry through racing horses/dogs/snails through hunting/shooting through to benign pet ownership. We use animals wherever and however we see fit.

This used to bother me no end. I was a vegan hunt saboteur and militant animal rights type. I now eat meat & bet on the national, the younger me would have been horrified. I still hold the view that we are in general exploitative where animals are concerned, i just can't bring myself to care any more.

ExcuseTypos Sat 05-Apr-14 18:45:10

select I find your observations as useful and reassuring as those who defend hunting.

SelectAUserName Sat 05-Apr-14 18:49:43

That's fine Excuse, it's your prerogative to disregard factual evidence from someone who knows what they're talking about in favour of prejudice and and narrow-minded preconceptions. You're a very interesting example of confirmation bias in action, so thanks for that.

Bearbehind Sat 05-Apr-14 18:50:49

Ah, fox hunting now.

Have you ever witnessed what a fox does to a chicken coup?

If these horses didn't race they would even be bred?

Unless you are a 100% committed vegan, who has never owned a pet and never visited a zoo/ safari park, moaning about the GN is beyond hypocritical

Thattimeofyearagain Sat 05-Apr-14 18:52:53

Excuse I find your ill informed whitterings as useful as a chocolate fireguard.
Select is telling you the facts.

tmae Sat 05-Apr-14 18:55:00

YANBU, also not watching doesn't stop it being disgusting...

FrankelandFilly Sat 05-Apr-14 18:55:05

There is a strict limit on the number of times a horse can be struck with a whip. Quite often what you think is the jockey striking the horse is actually the jockey waving the whip so that it makes a noise.

As select has said racing whips are heavily cushioned in comparison to ordinary riding whips. You can see the difference in exercise whips and racing whips in this link.

ExcuseTypos Sat 05-Apr-14 19:02:13

I don't care for your facts though. It like telling me about smacking a child lightly, me saying I disagree with it and you saying "well it doesn't hurt, those are the facts".

SelectAUserName Sat 05-Apr-14 19:14:51

Of course, because horses and children are exactly the same. hmm

Anthropomorphising animals does them a huge disservice and can lead to inadvertent and well-meaning but incontrovertible harm, because they don't think like humans, they think like animals with the instinct of animals, and failing or choosing not to recognise this results in the unfortunate "killed by kindness" phenomenon.

In my riding days, if I was riding a horse on the road - which unfortunately I had to do occasionally, as the only route to safe hacking - and he started playing up in traffic, I didn't have the time and he didn't have the intellectual capability for me to explain calmly that his behaviour was endangering our lives and the safety of the motorists around us. It was a case of a quick slap with the whip to get him to stop dancing about and focus immediately and to move him away from the danger. I wouldn't deal with a child messing around near cars in the same way, because one is half a ton of horse capable of doing a lot of damage who can't be reasoned with, and one is a human being who isn't and - depending on age - can be.

ExcuseTypos Sat 05-Apr-14 19:22:54

The example I used wasn't meant to convey that I thought children and horses were exactly the same.

I meant to convey that I strongly disagree with this race and whatever you tell me won't change my mind about it.

I'll leave it there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now