Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

to be really really confused about tax credits "income disregard" and beg here for advice?!?!

(3 Posts)
CaramelisedOnion Wed 26-Mar-14 22:23:29

Ok....i had a substantial drop in income....lets say for the sake of easy figures that last year I made 17,000 and this year I made 9,000. I estimated 10,000 when I gave them income details at my renewal in order to avoid getting overpaid.

Apparently throughout this year the tax credits have based my award on 12500 due to a " fall in income disregard" of 2500 . I was under the impression that this was a securtiy measure against overpayment, and that at the end of the year I they would reassess my award based on the actual end of the year amount and that I would be given the difference back in a lump sum. I am starting to worry now that in fact this is not the case, and in fact the "disregard" means just that....that they just are going to act as if I made 12500 all year.

Does anyone understand this stuff well? I am so confused....and quite cross really as I have struggled financially all though this year (single mother....child in full time nursery, receive no maintenance etc etc) but comforted myself with this idea that at least I would get a bit of a windfall in june.

Please advise!!

MissDuke Wed 26-Mar-14 22:50:00

Yes the disregard means they disregard 2.5k of your drop in income, so they 'pretend' your earnings were 2.5k higher than they really are - it sucks!!! The security against overpayment is that you can earn 5k more than you expected without being penalised. Hope that makes sense!!

CaramelisedOnion Wed 26-Mar-14 23:05:16

great. fuckers. absolutely unbelieveable...as if a drop in income like that in´t enough of a kick in the teeth as it is!!!!! Now I have done a bit more reading into it all it seems that this was brought in in 2012......cheers Dave wine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now