Term time holidays/Striking teachers.

(194 Posts)
vexedfoxy Sat 22-Mar-14 20:52:34

Am I being unreasonable when I become exercised when I hear parents are fined for taking their children out of school in term time for holidays (when perchance they cannot take time off work in school holidays) and then I hear teachers planning to go on strike...how does one beat the square of 'every day at school is vital no matter how young the child is' in to a circle when suddenly a teachers salary and conditions over ride this and parents have to take time off work to arrange child care cover. Discuss.

Abbierhodes Sat 22-Mar-14 20:54:29

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Littlefish Sat 22-Mar-14 20:54:42

<Yawn>

Nah, won't bother 'discussing' thanks - too many threads already

But in short, they're not striking over pay but over your child's education which is being adversely affected in many ways.

And the LEA fine parents for taking term time holidays - not teachers !!

So in other words they are not in any way related

Tweasels Sat 22-Mar-14 20:55:03

WorraLiberty Sat 22-Mar-14 20:55:48

Where do people get off telling others to 'discuss'?

Sqveeze Sat 22-Mar-14 20:55:59

Because it's not just about salary and conditions, it's about all the cutbacks and crap THAT WILL DIRECTLY AFFECT THE QUALITY OF YOUR CHILD'S EDUCATION.

And, yes, I meant to shout.

Tweasels Sat 22-Mar-14 20:57:38

Garcia10 Sat 22-Mar-14 20:59:19

Yes YABU and rather ignorant and stupid. Why don't you go and research why teachers are striking and then come back to the thread? Maybe we can then 'discuss' your thoughts.

plum100 Sat 22-Mar-14 20:59:23

Lol Tweasels!

Coldlightofday Sat 22-Mar-14 20:59:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fantissue Sat 22-Mar-14 21:01:26

Teachers striking to protect your child's education is EXACTLY the same as a budget week in Turkey. Discuss.

You are not the teacher. You cannot demand we discuss. Especially when it's already been discussed to death.

afterthought Sat 22-Mar-14 21:01:49

It may be one day of inconvenience, but I dread to think what will happen in the future if the current rate of teachers leaving (apparently 40% in the first 5 years) continues. If all the things some teachers are striking for don't improve, there will be a massive shortage.

WaitMonkey Sat 22-Mar-14 21:06:15

I agree with everyone else. Bet the op doesn't return. grin

EdithWeston Sat 22-Mar-14 21:07:04

there's a long and active thread already underway here.

But if there needs to be an AIBU thread too, I suppose my only comment is YABU.

manicinsomniac Sat 22-Mar-14 21:08:23

I agree with you that the term time holiday rules are too strict.

I agree with you that teachers shouldn't strike

But the two things are not related so YABU to put them in the same thread.

Boaty Sat 22-Mar-14 21:09:12

<yawn>

Has anyone seen a weather forecast?

MrsBungle Sat 22-Mar-14 21:10:17

For the love of god.

Joules68 Sat 22-Mar-14 21:10:41

Discuss grin who do you think you are op??

Anyway... Yabu.

Joules68 Sat 22-Mar-14 21:11:20

boaty weather? Hope there is no rain tomorrow!

vexedfoxy Sat 22-Mar-14 21:12:26

Well I will return, here I am, (Good evening WaitMonkey) It is a great shame some people have resorted to personal abuse and foul language. But there you go, such is life.

I had no idea there was a rule that topics could not be discussed more than once is this a new idea or one thought up this evening? For the record I do not agree with anyone striking whatever industry/private/public sector they are in.

EdithWeston Sat 22-Mar-14 21:14:58

Topics can be discussed as many times as t like.

But when there is an active and concurrent thread, you might want to look at it, unless you think people really will repeat all the current discussion in every fresh thread.

ilovesooty Sat 22-Mar-14 21:15:12

FFS. Here we go again.

Boaty Sat 22-Mar-14 21:16:43

Just looked and there are heavy showers forecast between 1 and 3...I'm gunna get wet!! I'm playing an outdoor sport tomorrow...

mummymeister Sat 22-Mar-14 21:16:55

I do agree with strikes. I don't know enough about the exact reason why the strike has been called to comment on whether I agree or disagree with it. there has to have been some specific point or breakdown in negotiations perhaps rather than a general we are fed up with gove being a twat. of course people can discuss things over and over again. just go on the holidays thread. every third one is about florida. I personally wish people would stop keep saying " its the LEA that fine people" because this gets me cross. yes it is the LEA that levy the fine but only because the head teacher has refused leave on exceptional grounds. if he/she granted exceptional grounds then the LEA would not levy a fine for the absence. so, the decision rests solely with the H/t.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now