To think the 1980s had something better to treat threadworms

(68 Posts)
JumpRope Fri 14-Mar-14 14:25:51

I remember having them twice and being given something which got rid of the lot.

My ds, 4, has caught them from school (we had a letter home about a month ago saying they'd had some cases). Now I have them and my dd.

Got the metronidazole stuff that's all Boots sell for worm. But I'm reading so many (horror) stories on the internet about worms staying for month/years/ever despite treatment. Is this stuff crap? Weaker than something I would have had in the early 80s!???

Glitterfeet Fri 14-Mar-14 16:15:52

You're supposed to retake them a couple of weeks later. It's also good if everyone in the house takes the tablets, not just the person you think is infected. Tha plus washing everything should be fine.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Fri 14-Mar-14 16:20:39

I can still remember the god awful taste of pripsen too! Revolting, revolting stuff.

Don't think I could inflict that on my dses!

I'm nearly 40 FFS, once tasted, never forgotten......

Whathaveiforgottentoday Fri 14-Mar-14 16:21:21

I always thought the pripsen was strawberry flavour. I hated it and still can't eat strawberry icecream as it reminds me of it.

I remember have them loads in the 70's as did all the girls on my road.

My dd had them recently and we treated the whole family with something banana flavoured (don't remember the name) and they seemed to go.
I know they are unpleasant but there are not exactly dangerous - just a bit icky.

Viviennemary Fri 14-Mar-14 16:24:52

Not admitting to anything. But Prispen works!

Viviennemary Fri 14-Mar-14 16:25:41

Should that be Pripsen.

puddock Fri 14-Mar-14 16:27:58

Oh, the taste of Pripsen. It is a family legend that we were all having a dose after tea, and we children were moaning about the taste, and my dad said something no-nonsense like "oh it can't be that bad, let's just get on with it" then took his, went purple, gagged, swore, damn near spat it out and announced that he'd never tasted anything as vile in all his born days, and we must all have chocolate immediately.

SapphireMoon Fri 14-Mar-14 16:30:43

Would almost prefer the thread worms to tasting that again.
TMI alert:
Remember sitting on the toilet at Brownies looking at a wiggly little worm.
I was mildly disgusted, but fascinated. My Mum not discovered I had them at that point...

BellaOfTheBalls Fri 14-Mar-14 16:38:08

DS2 had them very recently. We all took Ovex, followed by another dose of Ovex 2 weeks later. DS2 was still the only one to show obvious symptoms. Please ignore most of the stuff on the internet. I looked it up panicking when he had them and found there seem to be a couple of trolls individuals that copy and paste the exact same tale of it not working and the worms are immune to it and that you don't need to wash stuff or hoover etc.

I hoovered everything, washed all the bedding and wet dusted the bathrooms. Get everyone to keep pants on in bed, as it keeps the eggs...ahem...contained.

I'm an eighties child of a hippy mother. I remember my DM shoving a clove of garlic up me and my sisters' bums like a suppository. blush Oh how we screamed. I have no idea if it worked or not.

SapphireMoon Fri 14-Mar-14 16:44:05

How long did you have to keep the garlic in?!
My word...

tshirtsuntan Fri 14-Mar-14 16:47:37

Pripsen, if you get the 80's flavour though you'll never eat raspberry yoghurt again -bleagugh grin

Only1scoop Fri 14-Mar-14 16:49:48

Can remember being given pripsen and barfing the whole lot back up. My gag reflex was born that day blush

Ericaequites Fri 14-Mar-14 16:56:10

If you have a clothes dryer, drying sheets and undies on high will also help kill the nasty creatures.

BellaOfTheBalls Fri 14-Mar-14 17:37:12

sapphiremoon no idea. l remember it going in, I don't remember it coming out. I must have been about 7 at the time.

SuedeEffectPochette Fri 14-Mar-14 19:20:16

I bet one sip of Pripsen would take me straight back to the 80s. Dodgy perms, batwing sweaters, Frankie Says Relax, Global Hypercolour socks, friends that could only be called Debbie, Lindsay, Linda, Nicky or Susan.....

CrohnicallyChanging Fri 14-Mar-14 19:55:47
BornFreeButinChains Fri 14-Mar-14 20:02:30

I have to say we have had issues too, I wonder if like nits the worms are simply becoming immune to the medicines shock

monicalewinski Fri 14-Mar-14 20:10:29

Pripsen - yuk yuk yuk!!!

I NEVER got worms, my sister did - but we all had to have pripsen; the thought of it makes me gag all these years later. I threw it up all over the kitchen floor one time, and my mum just made up another sachet and told me off for over-reacting.

To this day, I cannot drink anything ribena coloured, or eat anything raspberry flavoured. <shudder>

JumpRope Fri 14-Mar-14 20:30:15

Went to 2 pharmacists today, both if whom say pripsen is being discontinued, there's a prob with it and wouldn't sell it to me. Booger.

JumpRope Fri 14-Mar-14 20:32:33

Have Pripsen sachets been discontinued?
Yes. The manufacturer of Pripsen sachets, Thornton and Ross has confirmed that the Pripsen dual dose sachet pack was discontinued in December 2012. Pripsen tablets are still available but are different to the powder sachets as they contain mebendazole whereas the discontinued product contained piperazine and senna. The age of the patient should be checked when considering whether Pripsen tablets are appropriate.

Mebendazole is the same thing as in ovex, boots own etc. it's literally all you can buy.

FannyFifer Fri 14-Mar-14 20:35:26

They have prispen in my local pharmacy.

FannyFifer Fri 14-Mar-14 20:35:43

*pripsen

JumpRope Fri 14-Mar-14 20:36:36

Probably the tablets, which only contain the same as other options.

issimma Fri 14-Mar-14 20:38:13

Another one retching at the thought of pripsen. Foul, foul stuff.

SapphireMoon Fri 14-Mar-14 20:42:21

I can remember where I was, where the cup was positioned on the book shelf, the horror of drinking it with my non negotiable mother watching.
My brother and I for once as one in our opinion.
Ingrained in my brain and we are talking over 35 years ago...

FannyFifer Fri 14-Mar-14 20:44:24

Def sachets as i bought them a few weeks ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now