To ask if I am the only person who has ever done this horribly embarrassing/painful thing

(60 Posts)
DealForTheKids Tue 11-Mar-14 19:48:49

So today I went to change my tampon. I have done this a number of times, being as I am in my late 20s.

I got a Tampax Compact out, started to put it in, and - um.. Trapped my labia in the plastic applicator.

It was, without a doubt, the single most painful thing I have ever done. I never thought I had issues in that area, size-wise... Perhaps I had it too close?

Please tell me someone else has done this!!

<prepares to go cry alone with wine if the answer is 'no, you freak'>

helenthemadex Wed 26-Mar-14 13:38:59

I cant work applicators at all fiddly things

have injured myself while pruning the lady garden

I've trapped a labia in the tampax compak before. However I found the Mooncup even worse because it kept unfolding at the wrong moment, remarkably like one of those little "popper" toys we used to torture each other with at primary school.

myitchybeaver Wed 26-Mar-14 13:26:45

Lilets women, Lilets. No teeth.

Yes. I've done this. TBH I hate all san pro. I want to get on with the moon cup but I just can't. I need something similar but softer. Or no periods.

Try the Meluna, it's softer and comes in more sizes

MinesAPintOfTea Wed 26-Mar-14 12:56:12

If you must use applicators get the nice cheap soft cardboard ones. Also better for the environment.

Even better would be a non-applicator tampon (lillets are much more comfortable for me) or a mooncup.

justmyview Wed 26-Mar-14 12:47:52

Have also inadvertently given myself a brazilian when I put the sanitary towel sticky side up on my pants at bedtime. Our bathroom ceiling still has the outline of my body after I had to be peeled off it having removed the towel along with a large part of my fanjo lips.

OMG. I have tears in my eyesThis

This is definitely a conversation for MN, not real life ......

Catswiththumbs Wed 26-Mar-14 12:42:14

I've done it. I've also hurt myself with a mooncup when it "popped" open while I was trying to insert it.

bonzo77 Wed 26-Mar-14 12:38:29

Yes. I've done this. TBH I hate all san pro. I want to get on with the moon cup but I just can't. I need something similar but softer. Or no periods.

I caught my fanny flap in the roller of my epilator once, that brought a tear to my eye

KatoPotato Wed 26-Mar-14 12:32:33

This very morning! They suddenly 'slammed' together.

Solidarity

ilikebigbutts Wed 26-Mar-14 12:31:51

I hate tampons...haven't used them for years. When I was in my early 20s I was using them and then noticed a fowl smell coming from my fanjo area (this was about a week after my period had finished). I eventually fished out a small part of the tampon which had broken off and had been inside me. It absolutely bloody stank (I'm heaving thinking about it now) and was a lovely yellow/brown colour. Boak !

Have also inadvertently given myself a brazilian when I put the sanitary towel sticky side up on my pants at bedtime. Our bathroom ceiling still has the outline of my body after I had to be peeled off it having removed the towel along with a large part of my fanjo lips.

Aberchips Wed 26-Mar-14 12:26:34

Not done that, but I once trimmed a little bit of me by mistake whilst trimming my lady garden shock - that brought tears to my eyes I can tell you!!

Dillydollydaydream Wed 26-Mar-14 12:15:25

Glad I'm not the only unfortunate one to be injured by compak tampons. Ouch.

PansOnFire Wed 12-Mar-14 10:21:37

Ouch! Ouch to all of the horror stories, but mostly to the ones about the nurse and the speculum!

I can't use applicator tampons because I always end up stabbing myself of the inside, it hurts so much when I do it that I have to switch to pads for a day or so afterwards. I must be missing a vital part of the instructions I think sad

FaceDirectionOfTravel Wed 12-Mar-14 10:20:30

Someone I am close to got a papercut on his bellend once. Ow.

TheListingAttic Wed 12-Mar-14 10:13:09

I'm normally a non-applicator person - the last time I used Tampax Compact it took me two goes to figure out how to assemble the sodding applicator bit!

gender incompetent

TeeBee Wed 12-Mar-14 10:12:36

Owwww, shit, I'm crossing my legs. No, never done that but I have burnt my nipple with an iron (never iron naked). Was soooooo painful for days.

CloverHeart Wed 12-Mar-14 10:04:57

This is why I'm glad I've got at least 6 months tampon free :D

...but yes, I have felt your pain. Nothing worse than a mangled labia winceface

piratecat Wed 12-Mar-14 09:53:49

the tampax pearls seem to be the best. no claws, no stoopid soggy cardboard.

Sparklingbrook Wed 12-Mar-14 09:50:35

I can't use those Compact ones with the claws on the end. They feel like they are slicing you in half.

I agree about the cardboard ones but I prefer them.

StrawberryGashes Wed 12-Mar-14 09:38:52

It happened to me about 12 years ago and the memory still haunts me...

frogslegs35 Wed 12-Mar-14 09:33:10

BeaWheesht You have my sympathy, it does bloody knack. Midwife done more damage to my bits than what my baby did when I gave birth a few days later.

Yes to the cardboard apps having no grip, sometimes you have to really force them.
I still keep using them though because lilets just don't seem to work for me properly - I can't position them straight nor high enough up and end up uncomfortable.

thisisntalliam Wed 12-Mar-14 08:21:30

(NC'd for something else) I caught them in my knickers once - was a lacy pair a few years ago, somehow the skin had gotten stuck in one of the lacy bits. It had then swelled up, turned a bit purple (the skin that was stuck I mean, so like a wee blood blister) and because it was swollen, I couldn't remove my knickers, they just dangled from it!!

I was seventeen at the time and had to get my mum to help me - she removed the knickers and the swollen bit with nail scissors in the end. She wasn't sure if she should actually call the GP but I was mortified at the very thought! Ended up bruised, took a few days for it to go back to normal.

piratecat Wed 12-Mar-14 08:17:34

yep done that. bastard isn't it.

Oh god I remember getting a tampon stuck halfway up and unable to pull the string down the first time I used one when I was about 12 ! my mum rang the neighbour who was a nurse (and the mother of a friend of mine I'd fallen out with) to come and get it out. So embarrassing !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now