A howl into the abyss of wasted youth and lost opportunity.

(23 Posts)
UhOhChongo Fri 07-Mar-14 21:05:52

Through a combination of fear and lack of confidence I have compromised my life so much that I no longer have any idea why I'm still here.

Pagwatch Fri 07-Mar-14 21:07:52

So, what about tomorrow?

ZeroSomeGameThingy Fri 07-Mar-14 21:10:11

Why is my mirror talking to me?

TwittyMcTwitterson Fri 07-Mar-14 21:12:19

Pag watch, utterly amazing statement.

It only takes a moment to turn it all around. Wake up tomorrow and be the changes you wish to see xx

daisychain01 Fri 07-Mar-14 21:12:20

Yes pag, you are so right, there is tomorrow, and also today.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that's why they call it The Present.

So, uhoh, youth isnt everything, I bet you have a lot of experiences that have made you into who you are. Can you somehow use that as a basis to change or do something differently?

daisychain01 Fri 07-Mar-14 21:13:24

X-post with Evee smile

ZeroSomeGameThingy Fri 07-Mar-14 21:18:21

Hijacking thread - Is no-one ever allowed to feel sorry for themselves without tripping over relentless, pointless, (unempathetic) optimism?

southeastastra Fri 07-Mar-14 21:20:18

the sun will come out tomorrow!

youth is wasted on the young

how old are you op? confidence increases with age

fluffyraggies Fri 07-Mar-14 21:22:28

What do you mean by 'compromised' OP?

Pagwatch Fri 07-Mar-14 21:25:21

I'm not being unempathetic Zero.
You totally - perhaps wilfully - misunderstand.
I am not fucking optimistic . I chose , I chose to consider the fact that tomorrow may bring more - that tomorrow may not be as bad as I fear.
I have choice, I have possibility.
Sometimes that is the best thing to hold on to.

PortofinoRevisited Fri 07-Mar-14 21:27:38

How old are you OP? My life aged 25 was light years from what it was like at 35, and even more so at 45. To be fair, it never went quite how I imagined it, but it has been exciting. I guess 55 will be another journey again. Don't give up on it.

BiscuitMillionaire Fri 07-Mar-14 21:30:46

I recommend the classic 'Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway' by Susan Jeffers. Very powerful if you do the exercises, don't just read it.

UhOhChongo Fri 07-Mar-14 21:35:01

Thanks zero! 52 here and confidence has decreased with age. My bad for the way I have turned out. Regrets, I have a few (hundred) just want to say to younger women feel the fear and have a go, take your life seriously and put some effort into it (you really are worth it).

TwittyMcTwitterson Fri 07-Mar-14 21:36:15

Feeling sorry for yourself gets you nowhere. You need to do it for a bit as it's cathartic BUT you will need to turn it around at some point. That's what we are here for smilesmilesmile

ZeroSomeGameThingy Fri 07-Mar-14 21:37:08

Wow. You actually ARE my twin....

UhOhChongo Fri 07-Mar-14 21:42:26

Fluffy, I mean that I wimped out and always chose the seemingly easy route (line of least resistance) which inevitably bites you in the bum somewhere down the line.

PortofinoRevisited Fri 07-Mar-14 22:04:06

Feck - your life is not over yet. What are you interested in. What needs do you have - to earn money, to make friends, to build skills?

MadAsFish Fri 07-Mar-14 23:14:34

[[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_bloomer Late bloomers]. Read particularly the section on writing.

MadAsFish Fri 07-Mar-14 23:15:08

Aaaaarse.
Late bloomers

AgentZigzag Fri 07-Mar-14 23:22:23

Aye, it's a bitch.

I got sympathetic responses thank fuck when I posted on here about realising I'd only ever be mediocre (not that I'm saying you're mediocre), but it's that thing of looking back at what you hoped you could be and comparing it to the reality of what you've become.

Although I never thought I'd amount to much so I'm not overly disappointed grin but there's always a bit of you that hopes luck will choose you to do something memorable.

Has anything happened to make you post?

YouTheCat Fri 07-Mar-14 23:26:41

I'd be over the moon with mediocre. grin

OP, my new philosophy in life is relax and have some fun and don't stress about what others' think too much - there is no point.

AgentZigzag Fri 07-Mar-14 23:34:51

Hahaha Cat, I was actually bigging myself up there grin

daisychain01 Sat 08-Mar-14 06:45:35

We're all mediocre, none of us is individually going to change the world.

People like Tim Berners Lee changed the world but there arent many of him to the pound. That puts it into perspective, well for me at least.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now