Raging at sainsburys!

(102 Posts)
bitemabum Thu 06-Mar-14 12:01:43

Aaaargh! Just done my weekly shop at sainsburys as I do every week, I have a young child and a stacked trolley, get to the checkout, say hello to the young man behind serving which is met with silence and a blank expression. That's fine, I put my bags down and start to empty the trolley, my daughter now bored is giving out. At no point am I asked if I would like a hand packing my bags, he just sits there talking to the cashier behind him while I struggle to fit everything on. Finally he stops his conversation and starts whiz zing the stuff through so I can't keep up. Now all the stuffs spilling every where while I try to stuff it into bags. By now there's people waiting behind me and another member of staff standing waiting for me to pay so they can get into the till. I glance up and the new member of staff day's "yes, we're all waiting for you", so I decide screw you and start packing extra slowly which gets a sarcastic eye roll from the rude idiot who was originally "serving" me. I resist the urge to rip his smug little head off and leave sainsbury's for the final time. I won't be back! Aaah that feels better, rant over.

bitemabum Thu 06-Mar-14 12:23:02

Your probably right captain, I'm not actually English but clearly have adopted your reserve!

pictish Thu 06-Mar-14 12:24:21

Hmm...I can imagine you felt stressed and embarrassed, but I don't think it's worth boycotting your first choice of supermarket for.
Some cashiers are lovely and helpful, and some just want to churn it through unceremoniously.
Dunno if I cba to complain...the staff involved will deny it, and all you'll get is a lame arsed apology from the manager.

pictish Thu 06-Mar-14 12:25:57

I agree with Captain

LozzaCro Thu 06-Mar-14 12:26:02

I was shopping at Aldi the other day and the 'helpful' assistant who felt I wasn't throwing things into my trolley fast enough decided to chuck a bag of cat litter on top of my cornflakes and eggs. I could have murdered at that point!

Phone in and complain.

OhGoveUckYourself Thu 06-Mar-14 12:27:23

I once phoned up Sainsburys and complained to their customer care line about a cashier. They had a look at the CCTV footage(there is a camera over every till) and saw their behaviour and were very apologetic. The local store manager even phoned me back to apologise so DO complain, they will take it seriously.

Gruntfuttock Thu 06-Mar-14 12:27:49

IHeartKingThistle - "But I happen to know that the staff in our Sainsbury's are expected to make chit-chat and be nice, and they are graded on it! I suspect the manager would be very interested to hear your story."

I agree with this. My daughter works there and it is taken very seriously indeed. Do complain to the manager.

BigRedBall Thu 06-Mar-14 12:28:17

Why didn't you ask him to help you pack? confused

I always ask for help when I have toddler with me. You won't get help if you don't ask. Don't stew over something that can be sorted out with a quick word.

Gruntfuttock Thu 06-Mar-14 12:31:12

By the way, I was referring to the fact that the OP's greeting to the cashier was "met with silence and a blank expression" as well as what happened after that.

Scholes34 Thu 06-Mar-14 13:11:41

The staff in my local Nationwide are obviously told to make chit-chat and I hate it. They ask me how I am and what I've been up to and I know they're not remotely interested. I'd rather they ask how the weather is or how busy it is in town.

bitemabum Thu 06-Mar-14 13:15:25

I also hate overly friendly chit chat but politeness is surly a basic requirement of some one in customer service. I'm over it now though. (I think)

5Foot5 Thu 06-Mar-14 13:22:26

Blimey that is very different from our Sainsbury's. Always friendly staff who say hello at the very least, usually ask if we need any help with the packing and I don't think any of them have ever been rude.

Now if you had said Tescos....

FoxesRevenge Thu 06-Mar-14 13:26:38

That would have given me the rage OP, you did very well not to rip into him there and then. I would have.

At my local supermarket (Asda) I have to say the staff are brilliant. I only appreciate how much when I have to go elsewhere.

glammanana Thu 06-Mar-14 13:42:07

So different from the Sainsburys Supermarket & Loacl Shop where we live,they are the most pleasent of all the assistants in the Supermarkets,I agree with 5Foot5 and Tesco's well I just won't shop there any more after my trolley was moved down the isle to make space for the "order picker" to complete her order,not just a couple of feet but to the end of the isle !! she got the length of my tounge and then she had the shopping I left in the trolley to put back as I left it and went to Morrisons.

SometimesLonely Thu 06-Mar-14 14:01:38

Scholes34 Yes. I have chit chat in Nationwide and also in Cheltenham & Gloucester (as was). "What are you doing today?" Frankly, it's none of their business. I itch to tell them that I'm visiting a terminally ill parent or my house has been burnt down or some other disaster but I don't. As for when I withdraw money and get, "What are you going to do with it?" ..........

Now, I just push my bits of paper over to them and ignore whatever they say and just say, "Thank you" at the end. I can ignore them because I wear hearing aids so they think I can't hear them <awaits castigation>

Scholes34 Thu 06-Mar-14 14:04:50

Sometimes - tempting I know, but you know they'll just think you're a grumpy old woman. I do sometimes say their loop isn't working, so I can't hear them.

eurochick Thu 06-Mar-14 14:10:12

I think I might have taken the bags out of the trolley, left them at the till and strolled off. What a terrible attitude.

Youarejustwordsonascreenpeople Thu 06-Mar-14 14:15:55

I love doing my monthly shop in our Carrefour. When I get to the checkout a man unpacks my trolley, it's scanned and a man packs the bags and puts it in another trolley, then someone pushes it all to a taxi for me. I get home and the taxi driver helps me get the bags into the house. Now that's customer service.

anklebitersmum Thu 06-Mar-14 14:17:45

I'm an utter cow when it comes to this kind of rubbish service. I take the view that it doesn't matter how fast you scan them and throw them at me I still have to pay. And I'll pay when I'm good and bl**dy ready..regardless of which supermarket I'm in.

I would have complained though. I did in Tescos recently when the cashier came out from behind her till and said to the girl who was in front of me in the queue "I'm not serving anyone after you" and then, looking right at me I was doing shock this face with a big sneery smile said "because I want to go home this evening"

I complained to the customer service desk then the phoneline and followed through with letters to the manager and Head Office.

SometimesLonely Thu 06-Mar-14 14:23:03

Youarejustwordsonascreenpeople Do you live abroad?

Scholes34 Perhaps I am. That makes dealing with the staff there a plus point then, doesn't it? They accept that I don't want to talk and just get on with their job.

How can checkout operators concentrate on what they're doing if they're chatting away? Anyone ever suffered double-scanning and not found out until you were back home?

Off at a tangent, our local Sainsbury's has computer printed notices up saying what local good causes they've helped. Some are local <insert name> Primry Schools. Yes, Primry. I couldn't find my marker pen .......

RiverTam Thu 06-Mar-14 14:23:09

if they're too dimwitted to work it out for themselves I say firmly 'can you slow down, please, and give me time to pack?' but if they then got snotty with me, I would complain, and probably tell them that I'm going to do so. But I'm mean about things like that. Ideally I;d leave all the shopping there for them to sort out, but that's probably cutting off your nose to spite your face, and isn't going to endear you to other shoppers.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Thu 06-Mar-14 14:24:09

I wouldn't have been able to keep my mouth shut after the "yes, we're all waiting for you" comment I'm afraid!

One of two things would have happened. Either;

a) I'd have stormed out leaving all the goods on the conveyor belt & letting the rude idiot know exactly what he could do with them OR
b) I'd have finished packing & paying as slowly as humanly possible and then complained very loudly at the Customer Service Desk.

Depending on how much coffee I'd had that morning........ blush

I don't complain often but when I do people know about it.

winterhat Thu 06-Mar-14 14:25:57

Nothing will change unless people complain about this sort of thing.

Sainsburys email contact form

Gruntfuttock Thu 06-Mar-14 14:27:27

anklebitersmum "I complained to the customer service desk then the phoneline and followed through with letters to the manager and Head Office."

What responses did you get to your complaints, anklebiters mum?

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Thu 06-Mar-14 14:28:37

I have also been known to say "I'll be fine if you stop throwing things at me" when asked if I needed any help packing by a Cashier who had scanned things so quickly she had used up every available millimetre of space in the bag packing bit & was starting to play Jenga with them.

And for anyone who thinks the Cashier was just being nice, you needed to hear the tone of voice with which she said "do you want me to help pack?".

I wouldn't mind but I'm not even a slow packer - I cope fine with Aldi & Lidl!

everlong Thu 06-Mar-14 14:32:22

You're not in Oldham are you OP?

There's a man who works at Sainsbury's who sounds like your chap.
Never says hello, won't look at you, quickly puts the shopping through without asking if you need help etc, is very abrupt.

At first I thought he was rude but now I'm convinced he has some SN.
So I am friendly and polite.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now