To be Specific....

(183 Posts)
Gossipmonster Mon 17-Feb-14 20:22:40

One of admin lady at work's favourite words is "specific" thing is she says "pacific" Every. Fucking. Time.

Another colleague (degree educated) says "she/he done" instead of "did".

I just want to scream - but feel like it's so petty I couldn't possibly say anything.

Anyone else? smile

nennypops Thu 20-Feb-14 10:52:54

Another vote for "nucular". People who say it are presumably perfectly capable of saying "new" and "clear", what's so difficult about putting the two together?

Also the use of "her" and "him" instead of "she" and "he" in constructions such as "her and her son went to the shops". You wouldn't say "her went to the shops", ffs, what difference does it make that you've added "and her son"?

I so want one of these T-shirts - www.amazon.co.uk/Clean-Grammar-Shirt-Ladies-Medium/dp/B00CP7AWRC/ref=sr_1_3?s=clothing&ie=UTF8&qid=1392893108&sr=1-3&keywords=grammar+t+shirt

TawdryTatou Thu 20-Feb-14 10:38:39

*thus.

Bloody autocorrect.

TawdryTatou Thu 20-Feb-14 10:38:16

Yup, "bored of" is a grammatically correct construction, just more recent, so is not accepted as Standard and this should be avoided in formal writing.

TawdryTatou Thu 20-Feb-14 10:34:40

Although 'of', 'by' and 'with' are all prepositions, so perhaps it's one of those phrases that just sounds wrong.

I'll Google do some research.

TawdryTatou Thu 20-Feb-14 10:32:48

And yes, it should be "bored with" or "bored by", not "bored of".

TawdryTatou Thu 20-Feb-14 10:30:20

To remember whether to use "dependant" or "dependent", think of "complainant" or "tyrant".

These are nouns.

"Dependent" is an adjective, such as "insolent".

I bloody hope think that's right.

akachan Thu 20-Feb-14 10:08:45

"10 items or less" is actually as correct as "10 items or fewer". Neither are a complete sentence, they are both contractions: the first is a contraction of "10 items or less than that amount of shopping" the second is a contraction of "10 items or fewer than that number of items".

TheArticFunky Thu 20-Feb-14 10:06:41

My mum and sister say "him" instead of "it". I wonder if its a West Country thing.

FTRsGotAShinyNewNN Thu 20-Feb-14 10:02:01

The Your/You're thing has gotten ridiculous now, how can people not know the difference?

I have a colleague who says 'us don't do that/us do that' why not we? It makes me twitch hmm

littlemisssarcastic Thu 20-Feb-14 09:38:37

The one that always makes me irrationally annoyed is 'looser' instead of 'loser'.

It's a mistake I've seen a lot. Usually when attempting to insult someone else.

'You are a looser'.

If you're going to insult someone, and you call them a looser, you are the one who looks uneducated and a twat.

Variations of 'Loosing my mind/x team are loosing etc' also wind me up.

sashh Thu 20-Feb-14 09:31:28

African American English???? Is that some kind of oxymoron?

Nope, it is also known as 'Black vernacular'.

But like all dialects it should not be used in formal writing, other than for effect or to indicate code switching. And I say that as someone who can and does use Yorkshire dialect.

Also with 'US Black vernacular' (there is an argument that the UK has one, but it is also argues that it is Jafaican rather than dialect, and then there is an argument about what dialect is ..........could write a thesis on it) there is the history that it comes from when schools and most of life was segregated rather than it be a regional dialect.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Thu 20-Feb-14 08:45:20

Ineed it must be where you live then... shockwinkgrin

Vinomum Thu 20-Feb-14 07:13:31

'Can I get' instead of 'Can I have' - that really grates but everyone seems to say it now.

Also 'the film is released Sunday' instead of 'on Sunday' which is something I've noticed the BBC website doing more and more often recently.

HellsGranny Thu 20-Feb-14 07:04:20

I think it should be bored with not bored of to whichever poster asked but I could be wrong.

I get dependent & dependant confused...any tips?

IneedAwittierNickname Thu 20-Feb-14 06:49:06

Marnie I've done that a couple of times, it either because I've forgotten that I opened brackets and forgotten to close them, or vice versa.
Mainly when I'm tired or rushing though blush

Or the one that is there is a typo and was never meant to be there

Marnieshere Thu 20-Feb-14 06:43:30

What also gets me, is when people only use one bracket. For example)

Ugh! Is there actually a reason for this as I see it a lot confused

Marnieshere Thu 20-Feb-14 06:36:22

Worst/worse

Accept/except

Whyyyyyyy?! hmm

Innogen Thu 20-Feb-14 02:11:18

Waterlego. To be honest with you, I'm not following it either anymore. I actually think we'd agree if we were speaking in person. I'm thinking this is just a case of miscommunication.

I can't understand why someone would use 'sent a text' (3 words) when one word exists (texted).

Completely a persons prerogative to use whatever though.

wadi1983 Thu 20-Feb-14 00:14:07

can't be asked.... when the saying is can't be arsed!!!!

IneedAwittierNickname Thu 20-Feb-14 00:10:44

Drink local facebook selling pages are full of it,
I've never seen Chester draws, but have seen chest of draws.
Today I saw someone asking for a perent fasing pushchair. Although I'll admit that could be genuine spelling mistakes.

waterlego Thu 20-Feb-14 00:09:21

True. Owl did say 'no it isn't' in response to your post stating that the past tense is 'texted'. I disagree with her there. It appears in online dictionaries as a verb. People use it as a verb. That makes it a verb in my view. (And also a noun, of course). I just didn't really follow the ensuing argument between the two of you.

Innogen Wed 19-Feb-14 23:54:59

I agree with you waterlego. Both are right. My issue is that Owl seems to be denying the grammatical correctness of 'texted' as the past participle of the verb.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Wed 19-Feb-14 22:02:28

Where do you meet all those people who twist very common in usage words?

waterlego Wed 19-Feb-14 21:44:08

Hmmm. I don't understand your argument Innogen

If we accept that 'text' can be a verb, which most people do, and if it is a regular verb, then 'I texted you' is right.

But there is also clearly nothing wrong with using 'I sent you a text', where 'sent' is the verb and 'text' is a noun. Clearly Owl doesn't like using text as a verb so prefers to get round it by using the structure she's suggested.

Orangeanddemons Wed 19-Feb-14 16:36:32

He done/she done is dialect from my neck of the woods. I'm degree educated and I say it quite often.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now