To ask how many meals you eat each day?

(139 Posts)
Jolleigh Sun 16-Feb-14 22:40:41

I'm 25 and most of my friends are a similar age to me. I've found that I don't really know anyone who doesn't have children who eats 3 meals a day. I personally just eat when I'm hungry (though I'm 8 months pregnant with my first so that's more frequent nowadays). What does everyone else do?

cory Tue 18-Feb-14 09:13:22

3 a day plus sometimes a snack if I'm working late and a plain cup of coffee mid-morning.

I find eating like this encourages me to stick to a healthier (more boring) diet. I don't know what other people are like but if I'm walking round the house snacking I hardly ever feel like snacking on a piece of sprout or half a boiled potato. I end up eating less healthy food because of its instant snack qualities. If I want to eat what I think I should be eating (vegetables, root vegetables, good quality meat properly prepared), then I need the encouragement of a proper sitdown.

MummyPig24 Tue 18-Feb-14 07:59:56

I don't tend to eat the dcs leftovers. Ds would never leave leftovers, and by the time dd is finished her leftovers are cold mush and not at all appealing!

I'm overweight so I know my portions are too big as I don't tend to snack much. But I still prefer to eat 3 meals a day.

Sad51 Mon 17-Feb-14 23:32:19

I eat breakfast between 10 and 11am, lunch of soup around 2pm and my evening meal between 7 and 8pm.

My snacks include fruit, breadsticks, nuts, yoghurt and plain biscuits.

If I need a choc fix I drink Sainsbury's Fairtrade cocoa at 36 calories for 2 heaped teaspoons as long as you do not add sugar or milk.

I have cut down on sugar and feel much better for it. No sugar in hot drinks, no sweets.

CromeYellow Mon 17-Feb-14 23:21:22

I usually eat three meals a day. Sometimes I skip lunch if I'm busy. I always eat a good breakfast because I do an intense hour to hour and a half workout every morning and need enough fuel to get through it.

If I'm hungry after dinner I'll have a piece of fruit to snack.

VikingLady Mon 17-Feb-14 21:44:54

Anywhere between 2 and 5, depending on the day! If DD has been challenging, usually closer to 5....

BigFatGoalie Mon 17-Feb-14 21:40:10

5 small meals a day, 3 hours a part.
But I do weight training / cardio 6 days a week, so I need protein to feed my muscle growth.
Have a 18 month DD. When not training my eating is terrible!

WorraLiberty Mon 17-Feb-14 21:12:41

So nobody hovers up their DCs leftovers?

No, they go in the bin or in the dog.

I had a friend who used to say Mummy pickers big knickers!

Later than USUAL

I was brought up on 3 meals a day with nothing in between except maybe a piece of fruit or a biscuit if the next meal will be a bit later than us, and that's how bringing my children up. No emotional food issues. No weight issues. No food cravings or blood sugar problems. I think it's the heathy way to eat really.

Cereal or toast for breakfast (between 7.15 and 9am depending on work v weekend), sandwich/soup/something on toast for lunch (between 12-1.30). Main meal somewhere between 6.30-8pm.

I don't get hungry in between when my meals are apread out like that so don't snack on crisps and biscuits and cakes in between. If I ever miss a meal or have to wait much later than usual for it then I get ratty when my blood sugar drops and just snack on crap cos I'm starving so I really try to avoid that happening. I get irritated when dh's family book a table in a restaurant for, say, 3pm. I really don't know what that meal is - is it lunch? Because I would have eaten something at 1 because I would have been too starving to wait till 3 pm. Is it tea? Ditto - far too early if I've had lunch at 12.30. The one day of the year that I don't mind eating the main meal of the day at 3pm is Xmas Day cos we would have all been stuffing ourselves with chocolates and nice stuff all morning so can easily wait till 3!

I really think there is something in the old fashioned way of eating meals that is healthy. Fast food that's available at all hours, and fad diets have really not had a good impact on our health or weight as a society.

mizu Mon 17-Feb-14 20:09:46

3 meals a day plus snacks/grazing in afternoon and evening.

Always pretty healthy meals but do like my crisps and chocolate.

Never been on a diet though, couldn't do it but I am lucky as am tall and slim.

If I didn't have breakfast, I would pass out at work. In fact I need to eat regularly otherwise I feel a bit rough grin

Suzannewithaplan Mon 17-Feb-14 20:02:07

no I find other peoples leftovers distinctly unappetising

So nobody hovers up their DCs leftovers? I don't do this so much anymore but when mine were small I ate the equivalent of 5 full meals. It's a miracle I am not any fatter than I am.

HavantGuard Mon 17-Feb-14 19:51:12

OK. It must be a total arse.

I'm a bit random in what and when i eat through the day, though I try to have something earlyish, sometime mid-morning.
Then I cook supper for us all in the evening.
So really, on average it's two, brunch and supper, with plenty of reasonably healthy snacks/grazing through the day too.
eg today I had a couple of tangerines and some dates

vichill Mon 17-Feb-14 19:46:44

I am always hungry and thinking about eating. I graze and eat a lot volume wise but minimize the damage by only having healthy stuff in.

massive pile of bran for breakfast with a banana
toast and marmite or a sandwich for lunch
yogurt
few portions of fruit a day
couple of biscuits
pasta, curry etc bulked out with veg or salad for tea

bmi used to be 35 but now 23. I will have to manage my portions and ditch the digestives when I stop bfing.
its a constant battle with the inner glutton but definitely worth it.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 17-Feb-14 19:42:38

One proper meal (evening) and a very light lunch.

MoreBeta Mon 17-Feb-14 19:41:06

HavantGuard - yes I have had it checked out by a doctor.

bakeroony Mon 17-Feb-14 19:23:20

3 plus snacks/grazing, but my meals are quite small:

Breakfast: small bowl of cereal

Lunch: Soup, something like cheese & pate & crackers (if at home), a more substantial meal at work (salad, cooked meal with meat or fish)

Dinner: Slightly larger version of lunch

I am terrible for leaving a lot of food on my plate. I just don't like over-eating as it makes me feel bloated and ill. So I make up for it by eating as I work.

thegreylady Mon 17-Feb-14 19:19:56

Breakfast usually an egg or porridge then toast
Lunch either homemade soup or a sandwich
Dinner a cooked meal, usually one course occasionally two
Drinks/snacks as in a cuppa and a biscuit twice a day

KingR0llo Mon 17-Feb-14 19:17:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EvenBetter Mon 17-Feb-14 19:12:27

One meal in the evening, and between 12 and the evening I eat loads of crisps...

Bunbaker Mon 17-Feb-14 19:04:34

I'm amazed at the number of posters who need to snack through the day.

I have the occasional snack - say if is someone's birthday at work and they bring in cakes, but generally I don't get hungry between meals.

EatShitDerek Mon 17-Feb-14 18:58:27

I had a McDonald's burger at 1ish and now eating a ham and cheese bagel. Might have a snack later while I watch hostages, the strawberries and cream in the fridge look like they want eating wink

Glitterfeet Mon 17-Feb-14 18:55:58

3 meals and snacks if I'm hungry.

Breakfast - toast in the car.

Mid morning - fruit or a biscuit.

Lunch - usually soup.

Often a bowl of salad as dinner is cooking.

Dinner - normal stuff. Stew, stir fry, chicken breast, pasta. I try to make sure the carb portion is sensible.

Later, something like yogurt, or something sweet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now