to just want some STRONG DRUGS

(112 Posts)
Coldlightofday Fri 07-Feb-14 21:51:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LegoCaltrops Fri 07-Feb-14 21:56:39

Any chance your doctors are open on Saturday mornings?

Back2Basics Fri 07-Feb-14 21:58:55

Go to a OOH place tomorrow.

SconeForAStroll Fri 07-Feb-14 22:00:22

Ooh now.

You need diazepam or tramadol, naproxen and co codamol.

Gentle hugs. I had spinal surgery last week.

ShredMeJillianIWantToBeNatalie Fri 07-Feb-14 22:03:38

You poor poor thing. Second the advice to go to an OOH first thing. Cry if you have to.....

Coldlightofday Fri 07-Feb-14 22:03:47

SconeForAStroll Fri 07-Feb-14 22:06:21

Out of hours - the surgery should have a contact point for when they aren't open but it doesn't need a&e.

SconeForAStroll Fri 07-Feb-14 22:07:24

In the meantime can you alternate ice and heat? Ie bag of peas and water bottle?

euq8820 Fri 07-Feb-14 22:09:18

Pregalbin is the only thing I found any good for a slipped disc, you do need a prescription for it but if your going to wait make sure it's for the right thing! Do take panadol or the co codamol regularly as the build up in your system can help, OTC Ibuprofen might help until you get to the gp. Google mayo clinic back exercises too, sleep with a pillow between your knees and definitely not on your tummy, use hot water bottles too. Hope your feeling better soon (been there and it does get better!)

Back2Basics Fri 07-Feb-14 22:09:34

The hospital by me has a place open 24/7 for things like this when OOH is shut but it's not a&e. Ring your drs surgery and they will have the number on their answer phone MSG or will put the call through.

Coldlightofday Fri 07-Feb-14 22:10:27

ShredMeJillianIWantToBeNatalie Fri 07-Feb-14 22:11:01

Ours is at the (not very local) hospital, if we ring the GP surgery the recorded message gives the details. Are you able to drive or can someone get you there?

Coldlightofday Fri 07-Feb-14 22:12:12

SconeForAStroll Fri 07-Feb-14 22:12:47

I would call 111, they should be able to get in touch with ooh for you.

ushiemama Fri 07-Feb-14 22:13:13

My doctor recommended 2 ibuprofen with 2 paracetamol every 4 hours for my back pain. Codeine doesn't agree with me. I found it helpful to do gentle walking, don't sit for too long as your back will seize up.Hope this is helpful, & you get better soon.

Coldlightofday Fri 07-Feb-14 22:13:37

Sirzy Fri 07-Feb-14 22:13:49

If uou phone your gps number it should put you through/give you the ooh number.

mousmous Fri 07-Feb-14 22:14:37

sometimes they do. sometimes they do phone consultations and can send a prescription to the nearest 24 hour pharmacy.

Coldlightofday Fri 07-Feb-14 22:20:38

BoffinMum Fri 07-Feb-14 22:21:23

Solpadeine Max is great for this kind of thing. 4 x a day.
You can also take 600 mg ibuprofen 4 times a day, alternating with the above.
Try a warm bath and some very gentle stretches as soon as you feel able. If you mobilise a little it will start to settle.

VodIsGod Fri 07-Feb-14 22:23:02

Do push harder. Crying helps and is often unavoidable as the pain is terrible. Currently suffering myself and I suspect it's disc problems (I had surgery on a ruptured disc 5 years ago). Back then, even before MRI diagnosis I was prescribed variously cocodamol, Tramadol, diazepam, and given physiotherapy sessions at the local hospital.

When I went to docs 2 weeks ago I was checked and prescribed 30mg codeine/500mg paracetamol. Over the counter is 8mg/500mg. And referred for physio.

It's hard, miserable, terribly painful, and appropriate medication will make it just about bearable.

I hope you get what you need.

NearTheWindmill Fri 07-Feb-14 22:25:46

You can buy Volterol over the counter. They come in packs of 6, 25mcg each tab. You can take three in the morning and three in the evening (the packet doesn't say that but my doctor does because he prescribes the 75mcg (might be 75 mg but it's 75 compared to 25 in the OTC packet). You can also take 50mc three times a day. Paracetamol can be taken with them too. Volterol is anti-inflammatory and it's good to take it straight away for that reason.

The other thing I find really helpful during an acute phase is heated back pads - the sort that you buy in a cardboard box from Boots, packs of two and strap them round your waist.

Unfortunately the volterol and the heated pads are expensive. I think six volterol over the counter are about £7 and that's only one day's worth.

I too would recommend you get yourself to out of hours or your local a&e. My Dr prescribed the volterol because the physio at my local hospital phoned and told him to.

The other thing, if you have the cash is to get yourself to physio sharpish so it can be worked on at the early stage to get everthing out of spasm and to help prevent aching muscles as well as the structural pain.

Poor you - it's unspeakably miserable but I do find the really painful barely able to walk bit tends to ease after about three days.

ushiemama Fri 07-Feb-14 22:27:06

You really are upset, frustrated & angry,this is not helping the pain... so forget the wine, have a hot milky drink & try to get some sleep, hopefully you'll feel better in the morning.Night night.

ShredMeJillianIWantToBeNatalie Fri 07-Feb-14 22:33:14

I can't think of anything worse than being in pain like that. I had labyrinthitis a while back, not painful but I couldn't stand or move without vomiting and falling over. I managed to get my GP on the phone and he offered to drop the prescription round in person (luckily DH left work early to get it). Am quite shocked your GP dealt with this so casually.

BoffinMum Fri 07-Feb-14 22:33:23

Have thought some more about the OOH issue and possible lack of chemists. I think if I was at home with a sleeping toddler I would alternate 600mg ibuprofen (probably 3 of the tablets in a normal pack, check the label) with 500mg paracetemol (2 tablets usually) on a four hourly basis after a hot bath and a nice cup of cocoa. Veerry gently yoga postures on all fours will start to loosen it off, as will pose of a child.

If you have silky pjs, wear them in bed in case it all seizes up in bed while you try to turn over. Silky pjs will help a lot.

If you are in an urban area that does private OOH services, a Voltarol injection would work wonders, if someone was prepared to a house call. But it will cost you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now