To wish that healthy eating was a bit cheaper to do.

(118 Posts)
hiddenhome Thu 06-Feb-14 19:41:57

I'm spending at least 20 quid a week extra on food now hmm

We shop locally at the butchers and fruit store, but it's still working out expensive. We're not buying poncey stuff, just bog standard fruit, veg and fish/chicken.

Dh has ordered a juicer as well. We're gonna be skint by the end of the month confused

ovenbun Thu 06-Feb-14 19:43:09

ALDI super 6 smile

hiddenhome Thu 06-Feb-14 19:44:13

Yes, we like Aldi. Their grapes are lovely. I bought three Sharon fruit for a quid at the local store - they're about a quid each at Sainsburys shock

Wherediparkmybroom Thu 06-Feb-14 19:45:28

How many are you feeding?

ScrabbleBabble Thu 06-Feb-14 19:47:01

I saw fancy plums in Tesco today £1 each!!!

hiddenhome Thu 06-Feb-14 19:48:40

Well, I'm trying to get the two dcs onto healthy food, but they act like you're trying to poison them, so they're mainly on frozen veg, apples and small oranges with the odd banana.

Me and dh are hitting the veg with a vengeance and have also upped the fruit too.

I have been buying more eggs and fish in a bid to increase the protein intake. I like nuts too.

hiddenhome Thu 06-Feb-14 19:49:40

I love cherries, but they're so expensive. Perhaps the prices will come down as the weather gets warmer.

Joules68 Thu 06-Feb-14 19:49:46

Lidl if you have one

Who is juicing?

PandaFeet Thu 06-Feb-14 19:49:48

My guess is that you will have people coming on to tell you its cheaper to eat better.

I agree with you. Its adding atleast £25 to our weekly bill. Fresh fruit and veg, better quality mince (we have reduced meat to two nights a week) and healthier snacky things for lunches. It all adds up.

We could buy plastic bread and hormone ham and eat from the freezer for half the price.

specialsubject Thu 06-Feb-14 19:49:50

buy veg and fruit in season - bit limited at the moment. That'll be why plums are pricey. Watch food miles too.

please don't mush up good fruit and veg!

Wherediparkmybroom Thu 06-Feb-14 19:50:05

Find a butchers and a fishmongers, I sell mussels at 4.50k, mullet at 4k,
I use a butchers that is also independant, and we only eat fruit and veg in season, salad is grown in the garden!

specialsubject Thu 06-Feb-14 19:50:16

oh, and nothing wrong with freezing food.

SirChenjin Thu 06-Feb-14 19:52:06

Aldi is your friend - their super 6 deals in particular are amazing. Got the best oranges I've tasted for ages there last week for less than a pound. They used to do 3 pomegranates for a pound until recently, and in Sainsbury they were £1.25 each.

Wherediparkmybroom Thu 06-Feb-14 19:52:40

By august you won't be able to stomach a strawberry but it's worth it!

IrishBloodEnglishHeart Thu 06-Feb-14 19:52:41

Eating healthy isn't expensive. Buying enough additional fresh fruit and veg to juice each day is going to rack up your good bills though.

hiddenhome Thu 06-Feb-14 19:52:43

No, we're only going to be juicing veg such as carrots and greens.

I have limited room in the freezer because I was going to buy some frozen berries, but don't have room.

hiddenhome Thu 06-Feb-14 19:53:52

I think we're going to have to limit the veggie juice intake. Dh will probably have us on pony carrots grin

IrishBloodEnglishHeart Thu 06-Feb-14 19:54:10

food bills not good.

Wherediparkmybroom Thu 06-Feb-14 19:54:19

Aldi is great! Until the day you need one item and you have no high street!
Try to buy local if only a fiver a week.... One day you may need them....

Lilymaid Thu 06-Feb-14 19:55:09

Hiddenhome you need to shop seasonally. At the moment the cherries you see are Southern Hemisphere and it costs a lot to transport perishable goods like these by air. Northern Hemisphere cherries will be in season in the summer and should be cheaper (especially from markets/green grocers).

Joules68 Thu 06-Feb-14 19:55:41

Yes, I love to juice veg.... Celery and cucumber are good for this. It's juicing and not 'mushing up'

IrishBloodEnglishHeart Thu 06-Feb-14 19:56:51

Lentils are your friend. Eat less meat. My two rules for eating healthier and cheaper.

siblingrevelry Thu 06-Feb-14 19:58:11

I agree-can do chips & some grill/nugget type things for a quid each from farm foods. Ingredients for a healthy cottage pie can easily be £5+

It shouldn't be the way. If supermarkets had offers on fruit & veg to the same extent as unhealthy stuff (have you ever seen 'but one get two free' on anything other than fizzy drinks/pringles etc?) it would make healthy eating much more viable for more people.

hiddenhome Thu 06-Feb-14 19:59:04

I never really think about seasonal stuff blush I just see something I like and consider whether I can afford it. I know it's not good to do that.

I like lentils smile

Joules68 Thu 06-Feb-14 19:59:40

Investigate growing your own this year op?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now