to feel embarrassed about the town I live in due to colleague's comments

(204 Posts)
tuggle Thu 02-Jan-14 16:39:34

I have name changed.

A new colleague who I find quite boastful mentioned she lives in Tunbridge Wells, Kent. I mentioned I lived in a town in North West Kent. She screwed up her face and said;

"When I think of this town I picture caravans. Isn't there a lot of social issues?"

I found myself justifying why we chose to live there rather than telling her where to go. I am no good at comebacks or confrontation.

I knew she was being rude. She is a snob and I admit has a very comfortable lifestyle.

NearTheWindmill Sun 05-Jan-14 19:26:29

Not quite Reculver but walking towards it having turned left wink. When I was a little lass the locals said the wail on the wind was from the babies the Romans or their poredecessors sacrificed in the foundations. Now they say it's the raucous lot who descend to the caravans from April until October.

IDugUpADiamond Sun 12-Jan-14 13:17:19

OP, your colleague is quite obviously rude and insensitive but all of you posters dissing TW in return are no better.

scantilymad Sun 12-Jan-14 14:34:07

The lady may have a lovely lifestyle but that doesn't seem seem to be reflected in her manners! As long as you like where you live OP then just smile and ignore. We live in a lovely, albeit tiny house in a lovely close in a not so lovely part of a big seaside town. The area may be "rough" but we have great facilities all in walking distance. So long as my family are happy here then so am I.
Some of my happiest pre married days were in a tiny studio flat in SW London. The area had a bad reputation but I met loads of lovely, diverse and interesting people. I think lack of knowledge/life experiences makes people draw odd convulsions sometimes!

scantilymad Sun 12-Jan-14 14:35:02

Sorry. Conclusions not convulsions. Lovely. :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now