to feel embarrassed about the town I live in due to colleague's comments

(204 Posts)
tuggle Thu 02-Jan-14 16:39:34

I have name changed.

A new colleague who I find quite boastful mentioned she lives in Tunbridge Wells, Kent. I mentioned I lived in a town in North West Kent. She screwed up her face and said;

"When I think of this town I picture caravans. Isn't there a lot of social issues?"

I found myself justifying why we chose to live there rather than telling her where to go. I am no good at comebacks or confrontation.

I knew she was being rude. She is a snob and I admit has a very comfortable lifestyle.

Feminine Thu 02-Jan-14 16:41:01

Well she needs to keep a civil tongue!

So, she doesn't have it all, wink

ShatnersBassoon Thu 02-Jan-14 16:41:30

She's a twat. You need to screw up your face and tell her that next time she misbehaves.

BrownSauceSandwich Thu 02-Jan-14 16:42:47

She sounds like a complete dick. You're not the one who ought to be embarrassed.

SilverApples Thu 02-Jan-14 16:44:36

My colleague lived in a posh Saddleworth village, and she asked me where I lived.
'DERKER? All the muggers live in Derker' she squarked.
'Yes, but they mug the posh people in Delph, not their neighbours. So we're fine'

sunbathe Thu 02-Jan-14 16:44:44

She sounds like the original 'Disgusted, of Tunbridge Wells'! grin

SapphireMoon Thu 02-Jan-14 16:46:25

Charmless snob.
Be glad you are not her op....

Don't they have manners in Tunbridge Wells or is she a rogue citizen?

NameoftheRose Thu 02-Jan-14 16:48:30

Tunbridge Wells? Really? Oh dear.....wink

FreyaFridays Thu 02-Jan-14 16:49:55

Tbh, I would judge someone who chose to live in Tunbridge Wells...

rubyflipper Thu 02-Jan-14 16:50:00

You should introduce her as 'Disgusting of Tunbridge Wells' grin

tuggle Thu 02-Jan-14 16:50:49

I feel silly as it affected me. I admit that I live in an ok area in a not so nice town. We were priced out of London unless we were willing to buy a one bedroom flat.

Generally I am not quick to mention where I live as I expect negative comments. It seems only Bromley, Orpington, Sevenoaks and Tunbridge Wells are acceptable places to live in Kent sad

grovel Thu 02-Jan-14 16:51:23

Maidstone's not that bad is it?

Preciousbane Thu 02-Jan-14 16:53:28

My first thought was disgusted of Tunbridge Wells. I hate that kind of snobbery it makes me want to be extra common and start swigging special brew, swearing and living down to her expectations.

She is a silly cah

RedactedEdition Thu 02-Jan-14 16:55:03

She may live in a nice town but her comments indicate she is far from well-mannered. I would therefore ask whereabouts in T.Well she lives?
The town has some areas of serious social deprivation!!

TiggyOBE Thu 02-Jan-14 16:55:10

There must be somewhere in the country worse than Chatham.

How about Folkstone or Dover? They're both real dumps!

Joysmum Thu 02-Jan-14 16:55:11

The town I live in gets put down too.

All I can say is that I'd rather live here and have a better house for less money and a good standard of living plus be able to invest in Buy to Lets than to move to somewhere more expensive, not be able to invest in our future and not have the standard of living we do now.

I'd love to have it all, and we will have when we cash in all our investments and have I tiny mortgage on our dream property in years to come. In the meantime, I'm going to get pissed off with the attitude to my town but am thinking ahead to a mortgage free life in a great house (and hopefully land too) before I'm 50. Our time will come when our plans come to fruition.

Everywhere I've lived has had nice areas and not so nice areas, regardless of the towns overall reputation. For all we know, she could live on the roughest street in Tunbridge Wells!

She's a douche. Ignore! smile

mistermakersgloopyglue Thu 02-Jan-14 16:56:56

Oh god don't worry about it. I live in a fairly shitty town (well just outside actually wink ) with a terrible reputation, but it is surrounded by some really lovely towns and villages. I constantly hear people, including friends and colleagues, slagging off my town but I just let it go over my head, it's not that bad! I think you should do the same, don't let it bother you.

furlinedsheepskinjacket Thu 02-Jan-14 16:56:58

my home town is pretty grim so is the town I live in now.i have to laugh and crack a joke when I tell people what school I went to. smile

ProfondoRosso Thu 02-Jan-14 16:57:32

She was being an ass.

When I went on a course in London and mentioned I was from Glasgow, people raised eyebrows and asked if it was like Trainspotting.

I smiled and said, "no, that's Edinburgh." grin

ComposHat Thu 02-Jan-14 16:57:49

And Tonbridge Wells makes me think of prudish uptight snobs and six toed pony fuckers (c/o Glenn in the thick of it)

I remember when I lived in Leeds and my landlady had some particularly snooty relatives visiting. The husband would leap up every five minutes to check his precious Mercedes hadn't been vandalised by the local kids (who were busy minding their own business) unyil I piped up with 'don't worry the local drug dealer has gotbome just like yours, the kids won't touch it.'

To which he did a marvellous cat's bum face.

chanie44 Thu 02-Jan-14 17:02:12

Do you live in gravesend?

Ive never been but a colleague lives there as is always making those types of jokes herself.

I live in a not very nice area myself - well, I think it's okay, but you know what I mean. I take pride in the fact that I am just a regular parent just trying to do the best for my family. We bought where we could afford and that's all there is too it

natwebb79 Thu 02-Jan-14 17:06:10

I'm from Kent and I'm more likely to secretly judge a snooty cow from Tunbridge Wells than I am somebody in Chatham/Tovil/anywhere else with a negative reputation to be honest. Laugh in her face next time. grin

ComposHat Thu 02-Jan-14 17:09:09

Tunbridge Wells is in Kent isn't it?

You could point out to your snobby colleague: 'it's funny everyone who works here knows you live in Kent because i hear them whisper a word thst sounds very like Kent under their breath when you leave the room.'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now