To be astonished at the stupidity of the Smart Swap campaign?

(235 Posts)
Farrowandbawlbauls Thu 02-Jan-14 15:21:38

Yes, we all need to eat better and move about more but I've just seen the advert for swapping sugar loaded fizzy drinks for sugar free ones.

Am I alone in thinking it's one of the most ill thought of things they've come up with yet?

The sweetners in sugar free drinks are dangerous. The sugar free stuff usually advertised is most of the time, worse than the full fat stuff.

Link

I can see why they are doing this as it is a huge problem in this country, but I don't thing they've thought this through at all.

HoratiaDrelincourt Sat 18-Jan-14 08:10:32

Well that's obviously better but many people will hear "sugar free" and go to the fizzy pop aisle.

true, and actually the link in the OP shows a can with "sugar free" written on it.
It may be that they've taken on this sort of feedback and started to change their ads?

ShadowOfTheDay Sat 18-Jan-14 08:30:33

are we all living longer because we eat more crap or despite eating more crap?

Sunshine, fresh air, no snacks and half of every meal veg/fruit based is the way we go here... food as fuel not instant gratification...

We're living longer because of medical improvements in drugs and procedures, because smoking rates have fallen, because deaths from industry have lessened. While our diets might leave a lot to be desired, fewer people are malnourished, and that has a knock on effect as a pregnant woman's health has a huge effect on the baby's health.
If you're considering life expectancy from birth then you also have to take into account the fall in infant mortality.

ShadowOfTheDay Sat 18-Jan-14 08:49:43

I agree - but those drugs are also "chemicals" we are stuffing ourselves with... and often contain the dreaded Aspartame too...

sometimes there is a bit too much hysteria... everything in moderation....

drivingmisspotty Sat 18-Jan-14 08:59:44

Everything in moderation, yes, I think that is OP's point really. Swapping butter for marg or coke for diet coke gives the idea you can have it all-no need to moderate your intake as there are these miracle 'diet' options. Unfortunately if it seems too good to be true, it probablyis. As previous posters have said, 'low fat' foods are often pumped full of sugar to compensate for lack of flavour and sugar is more dangerous than fat as spikes and crashes actually make us more hungry and more likely to snack on rubbish. And our bodies aren't really fooled by sweeteners. They know when they are being fobbed off and will seek sugar elsewhere.

But I do agree aspartame is not the devil, just a bit pointless in a balanced diet.

formerbabe Sat 18-Jan-14 09:03:38

Dreadful IMO. We drink full fat milk in our house and I will not be changing that. Full fat milk is 4% fat I think, so technically a low fat product! Proper butter is preferable to spread IMO, as it is at least a more natural product.

My children only drink full fat milk and juices. I would much rather they drink proper juice than sugar free squash.

I personally feel campaigns like these are aimed at people who live on takeaways and fizzy drinks and who are from lower socio economic groups.

Farrowandbawl Sat 18-Jan-14 10:09:54

I wish I could add more to my thread but you've all pretty much said everything that has to be said.

I think there is something very sinister in it, especially when you take into account who's funding it, it's ill thought out, sends the wrong message and is inaccurate at best.

The adverts STILL give the rage every time I hear or see them.

Solo Sat 18-Jan-14 11:14:36

They anger me too. I don't watch much TV, but I'm sure I saw (through the red mist) the ad showing encouragement to swap to sugar free alternatives.
My 7yo drinks water and tea mostly and occasionally full sugar cordial.

missymarmite Sat 18-Jan-14 13:39:58

Depends. If someone has health issues with sugar, are obese or diabetic, then it makes sense to avoid sugary drinks.

There is some anacdotal stories of people having awful reactions to sweeteners, but most scientific studies have shown that normal consumption of sweeteners has no demonstrable affect on the average person.

Personally as an overweight person myself, who doesn't actually drink masses of processed, sugary, sweetened or fizzy drinks anyhow, I feel the sugar is a much more immediate concern for me personally than a hypothetical reaction to sweeteners.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now