to be frustrated with an item im selling..

(35 Posts)
wontletmesignin Fri 22-Nov-13 18:00:16

I am selling something on gumtree. I have lowered the price, and have been keeping it for a person for a couple of days.

Things keep popping up. I am an understanding person, and so have agreed to keep hold of it. No questions asked.

However, today was supposed to be the final day. They were coming this morning.
But something came up. So they said today at 5pm. Fair enough.

Aibu for actually keeping it for them?, or wibu if i got in contact with one of the many people who i have turned down because of this one person?

It is quite frustrating. I would keep it for a month, if they really wanted it
I just get the impression that they are messing me about. I dont understand why though

foreverondiet Sat 23-Nov-13 19:19:56

I gave away my highchair on freecycle. First person didn't show so emailed to say I'd given it to 2nd person....

wontletmesignin Sat 23-Nov-13 17:07:04

7:30 in the morning is ridiculous lol. What was she thinking!

I wont be holding anything again. Thats for sure! It really annoyed me

Pearlsaplenty Fri 22-Nov-13 22:46:28

I never hold anything anymore.

I did once for a lady who kept on giving me excuses.

When she did end up coming she came 3 hours earlier than agreed at 7.30 in the morning! And was a proper grump and rude as well.

So since then I always clarify collection times straight away and never agree to hold anything. I just don't want to deal with time wasting,unreliable people.

wontletmesignin Fri 22-Nov-13 21:33:47

Hmm...i dont think i will ever understand some people.

tethersend Fri 22-Nov-13 21:30:36

There is no son.

wontletmesignin Fri 22-Nov-13 20:08:59

I know. They cannot be thay bothered. I dont know why they brought their son into it. If they werent actually going to come and get it! What is the point in that?

SpottyDottie Fri 22-Nov-13 20:02:09

Look at it this way...they aren't that bothered in collecting it. If the son is gutted, they'll just have to deal with it.... You've been far too accommodating as it is!

wontletmesignin Fri 22-Nov-13 20:00:03

no they didnt text back! Grrr.

I wouldnt be able to NOT let the person know! I would be guilt ridden, and need to tell them i couldnt/wouldnt be getting it for whatever reason.

hmm

FreeWee Fri 22-Nov-13 19:51:24

Groovee especially when it's free!! Why do they think you'll wait in all day for them? Or that you'll deliver??

sandfrog Fri 22-Nov-13 19:46:56

If they were really that bothered, they'd have come at the right time or given a good explanation why they didn't. YANBU.

Groovee Fri 22-Nov-13 19:45:06

I often had people let me down on freecycle that I ended up giving up. Not harsh at all, especially when you are trying hard to get rid of everything.

Mouthfulofquiz Fri 22-Nov-13 19:43:12

Did they text back??

wontletmesignin Fri 22-Nov-13 18:47:45

Thank you all for the reassurance. Believe me, i needed it blush

wontletmesignin Fri 22-Nov-13 18:46:22

God! Im going to feel even worse if they say they do still want it now, after ive just said that!

Happiestinwellybobs Fri 22-Nov-13 18:45:36

Not harsh at all. I had exactly the same thing - excuses as to why they hadn't come to collect. I messaged them to advise that if I didn't hear within an hour I was selling it. I didn't hear a thing.

wontletmesignin Fri 22-Nov-13 18:45:28

The thing that is annoying me the most is that i have given my address out! They also guilt tripped me saying "thank you. Thats great. I have already told me son and he would be gutted if he didnt get it"

That was the last message they sent me

carovioletfizz Fri 22-Nov-13 18:40:39

Gumtree is awful like that, I once waited in an entire day for someone. I'd just contact one of the others who enquired.

Aquariusgirl86 Fri 22-Nov-13 18:36:00

You sound reasonable they sound like a time waster

wontletmesignin Fri 22-Nov-13 18:34:18

Ahh thank you smile my bloody anxiety is ridiculous haha. The mental torture i go through sending a message! shock

whattoWHO Fri 22-Nov-13 18:31:16

Not too harsh. Perfectly reasonable.

wontletmesignin Fri 22-Nov-13 18:29:23

Its an xbox game. I have messaged saying "could you please let me know if you still want this? If i havent heard from you within the hour i will assume you no longer want it and sell on"

Was i too harsh???
I feel really bad

CombineBananaFister Fri 22-Nov-13 18:22:12

I find this happens a LOT on gumtree, infact I've stopped using it after waiting in multiple times for no-shows. Think you've been more than generous with your time.
Some of these selling sites with less regulation do seem to attract piss-takers

whereiseveryone Fri 22-Nov-13 18:19:33

I would email them again and say very sorry the item has now gone. End of.

I hate being messed about too!

MintyChops Fri 22-Nov-13 18:09:28

Agree with everyone, sell it to the other buyer.

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Fri 22-Nov-13 18:08:16

exactly what tethersend says including wot is it cos I am nosy too. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now