To be a bit fed up they did not help me.

(39 Posts)
moldingsunbeams Fri 22-Nov-13 11:50:18

DD who is in year 6 has had a project, they had ages to do it so its her own fault but last night she added something to it she had found out at her out of school volunteer activity, it was due today. only when we came to print (late because she had been helping at school all week then at a school event in the evening the printer decided to have a flop.

Another parent told me they knew kids who sent it in on usb and dd confirmed teacher had shown her someones project on usb so I went to teacher with usb and said i could hand it in like that or could bring it Monday and print at library at the weekend.

But no it had to be in today because they wanted to mark at the weekend but would not take the usb pen, this has meant that I have missed a meeting this morning (self employed ) to go and print it because dd has sen and was terrified of getting in trouble and had to walk four miles to nearest library to print the bugger off despite being poorly (have just been put on heart tablets and tablets for join issues) because library is no longer on a regular bus route from ours.

I KNOW we should have printed it earlier but she purposely left printing it because her volunteer class is at a museum that had info on her subject and she wanted to really try her best and the printer has been fine till now.

I KNOW its not their fault that printer buggered up but I never ask for help and I would have been willing to pay for the paper and ink in school.

It would have taken them two seconds to print it and instead I am sat in pain after trekking miles to sort it.

I know IABU but just a bit fed up I do loads for them and the one time we fuck up on something so basic they did not help.

Vivacia Fri 22-Nov-13 14:18:19

Or do I mean, "Your mistake is not my emergency"?

fairylightsintheautumn Fri 22-Nov-13 14:18:43

I know you didn't say it OP, but the implication from your OP was that you had to do all this BECAUSE they wouldn't help you. This incident aside, you will need to think ahead to next year if you want your DD to avoid getting into a real pickle at her new school. She will have 2-3 subjects a night, different books to bring home and take in, different deadlines etc. You need to start helping her devise some strategies or her Y7 will be an endless round of late homeworks and staying in at lunchtimes etc. Nearer the time, be pro-active about talking to her new school about this - talk to their SENCO etc. You can't just shrug your shoulders and say "nah - she won't get any better".

superlambanana Fri 22-Nov-13 14:19:32

Imagine the following post:

"My DD worked really hard on a project that was due in today and missed her breaks and lunches this week so she could use the computers at school to get it done. She's now really upset because one of the others left it til the last minute and has been given an extension til Monday. We both think this is really unfair."

Teachers have to be as fair as possible. If I got a pound for every time I had 'my printer broke' as an excuse for not handing in homework, I'd have been in Barbados and not a stuffy classroom grin

(This is directed less at the OP, who made a huge effort to get it in on time and accepts her dd shouldn't have left it so late, and more at the other 'teachers are mean' posters.)

DidoTheDodo Fri 22-Nov-13 14:19:42

Use crayons next time?

WooWooOwl Fri 22-Nov-13 14:21:56

Really?

I think it's ok for teachers to be 'inconvenienced' in such a minor way for the children they are supposed to care about.

I have to say I wouldn't have much sympathy with a family that was generally chaotic who never made the effort to do as the teacher asked, but I don't think a bit of understanding for a family that usually always make the effort to support the school and education is too much to ask of a teacher.

moldingsunbeams Fri 22-Nov-13 14:23:51

They are not allowed in at lunch as far as I know, it will not be an issue at secondary because she will have access to the computer and internet at lunch time and break times and homework clubs and an sen homework club. The secondary school give the kids usb pens (i know because dd got a school logo one at open day) and they can email.

So its just primary that's an issue really, tbh if we had had no computer at home there is no way I could have got to library after school (it would close before we got there) or weekend (we are not home) at all to do research so she would have done nothing at all other than what she could learn from in school books which I am guessing some kids must do or does everyone have a computer and internet at home now? I am not blaming school for that, just wondering in general really.

It is mostly my fault because she needs support and between her helping every night after school this week,out of school events and me working I have not been in same room as her to sit down and help her finish off.

moldingsunbeams Fri 22-Nov-13 14:31:51

Fairy I am not just shrugging my shoulders, I have had seven school years of this with her, I am banging my head against a very big dent in the wall with her, I try, I sit her down and sit at the side of her, I have to do this with every piece of homework.

She can not work independently (thats a whole other story)

I have spoke to senco at the secondaries we applied for, they made notes. She will no doubt spend every break doing it but there are systems in place there which mean if I am at work she will get help still. Hopefully she will gain the skills to work independently at some point.

Honestly she just cannot do the amount of work she had to for the project independently.

IfNotNowThenWhen Fri 22-Nov-13 14:47:06

YANBU. I can't afford to replace the ink in my printer, and the library is miles away for me too, so I would have had to do the same as you, and would be pissed off too, especially due to dd's SEN.
I wish some of the teachers on MN would not get so ridiculously offainded when someone has a moan about a teacher. OP is moaning about one teacher, not saying "ooh those lazy teachers, why shouldn't they print all my dd's homework, after all they have nothing better to do".
People who say things like ""Your crisis is not my problem"" are basically illustrating all that is wrong with the modern world!
I wouldn't want a teacher who thinks like that teaching my dc, frankly.

MsFiremanSam Fri 22-Nov-13 14:57:07

I understand why you're annoyed and I think perhaps the teacher could have viewed this an Xmas exceptional circumstance.
However I have accepted work via email in the past and ended up spending a ridiculous amount of time printing it out, mainly because the printers in my school are useless and always break down, and there's always a queue. I also have an individual budget for printing, so if I use it all on printing work I don't have much left for lesson resources. Now I accept work to be marked via email and I email if back, but I expect students to print their own. I'm secondary though, so I teach a lot more kids.

HamletsSister Fri 22-Nov-13 15:00:06

I have printed out several pieces of work today. I accept work that is e-mailed, on USB or on paper. Ideally, they come in earlier and print it themselves (so my lesson time is not taken up with being a printer) but this can't always happen. How unkind and unnecessarily jobsworth.

MsFiremanSam Fri 22-Nov-13 15:07:50

A Xmas circumstance?! Interesting autocorrect!

moldingsunbeams Fri 22-Nov-13 17:15:13

I came back to say I know I was being unreasonable, I said that at the start, I feel really crap because when I handed it in to teacher she was really lovely and very very grateful which make me feel awful.

Just having a really shit time at the moment, not the schools fault or problem.

Vivacia Fri 22-Nov-13 17:36:38

It sounds as though you were giving yourself a hard time with the trek to the library. Do you think you're having one of those times when you just need to give yourself a break and let a few things slide? I know I find that personally really hard to identify, let alone do.

IfNotNowThenWhen Fri 22-Nov-13 17:39:02

whats up moldingsunbeams?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now