To wonder when did costa become so trendy?

(89 Posts)
3asAbird Thu 21-Nov-13 09:48:23

I like coffee as much as next person in fact live on it.

if was to say fave would be nero followed by costa some reason not keen star bucks.

But normally its at service station.

occasionally when shopping but like m&s cafe/john lewis or support independents.

Log onto fb always gives me the rage.

least 10statuses and photos of people im at costa in x look at my christmas coffee. Yes its a coffee in an xmas themed paper cup get over yourself people.

Feeling christmasy at costa its bloody november.
Oh look brought costa for my tassimo!

So what have i missed ? why are so many people costa addicts and advertising the fact?

Do I have wanky mates which should be deleted or anyone else noticed this?

daisychain01 Sat 23-Nov-13 08:33:58

Cafe Revive is a good way of bribing my DH and DS to come to Cribbs Causeway with me.

Or the John Lewis coffee is nice and if you get a myjohnlewis loyalty card you get a free cup once a month smile

Snatchoo Sat 23-Nov-13 08:27:58

Well none of my FB friends have posted anything about Costa. It's my favourite and neither have I.

Mine's a flat white though so a bit boring!

hyenafunk Sat 23-Nov-13 08:00:12

The costa Christmas cups are adorable tbf grin.

Only reason I like Costa is that they don't charge extra for soya milk. Starbucks are the only company that weirdly do but typically I much prefer Starbucks coffee. I'd say Starbucks is still the most in vogue out of the coffee chains.

Anatanacoat Sat 23-Nov-13 06:58:56

I like Costa best out of the chains. Starbucks coffee is always cold, I find. And Nero is okay but the one near us is so damn loud (it's very small and narrow so the grinder noise rattles your face) I can't always stand to stand there.

Also Costa does the best toasties (although still not really proper toasties as they put them in a panini press so they aren't sealed, woe) and Eccles cakes.

Those Eccles cakes are amazing.

I do agree that the actual shops are not very nice. Starbucks is really the best at sofas and quiet. The Costas near us are all rickety tables and enormous queues but are also opposite a beautiful park with loads of picnic tables - about twelve in a big group - so we all go there.

The only independent coffee houses round here are East African and women aren't allowed in, so I appreciate the chains tbh. At least they let me in the door.

raisah Sat 23-Nov-13 04:41:07

Apparantly costa coffee is the most popular meeting place for cheating partners. Obviously they have got other things to think about other than the quality of their coffee.

raisah Sat 23-Nov-13 04:36:06

I dont like costa coffee as its too bitter & v pricey. Out of the chains, I prefer pret & starbucks gingerbread latte only or my local coffee shop.

TheArticFunky Sat 23-Nov-13 00:17:37

I'm an Americano and therefore quite easy to please. I like Costa because they make strong coffee in cups unlike Starbucks with their milky mugs.

FudgefaceMcZ Fri 22-Nov-13 23:21:51

I don't especially like them for coffee but their black forest hot chocolate motivates me to go in this time of year, unfortunately for my health and finances.

CremeEggThief Fri 22-Nov-13 23:11:17

Of the chains, Costa and Cafe Nero are my faves.

M0naLisa Fri 22-Nov-13 22:56:03

But their Gingerbread Lattès are Delish wink

3asAbird Fri 22-Nov-13 08:42:15

ohh clearly I need to go down stokes croft is it close to colston girls?
Do they welcome hipp toddlers? ocasionally my 4year old has babycuino in plapyspace at avonmeads but thats not hip.

Love the vibe of gloucester rd. Also get anoyed that south bristol seem to think they more hip that north visited tobbaco factory over the summer.

See I can see point if found some hidden gem of a cafe but nothing special or hip about costa they all sheep.

When I was 18 went to small town with my ex and we stopped at weirdest cafe. The owners were bit odd at door was large cut out cliff richard then as we went in cliff music was playing we realised the table mats even the mugs had cliff on . If only fb and smart phones existed then

EmmaBemma Thu 21-Nov-13 21:32:33

They can't make a cappuccino, but I bloody love a mocha latte, I do. Just a small one, from the supermarket costa.

MiconiumHappens Thu 21-Nov-13 21:30:15

Going to go against the grain a bit here.

I love Costa. Good coffee, good food, good locations, friendly staff and very accommodating of children. I cut my teeth breast feeding in public there as I always felt comfortable.

Sorry smile

signlanguage Thu 21-Nov-13 21:24:45

Costa coffee is shit.

Its a coffee shop for people who don't like coffee.

exexpat Thu 21-Nov-13 21:24:41

No, not the River Cottage Canteen - The Canteen on Stokes Croft - hipster central (but good coffee, cakes, sandwiches etc).

3asAbird Thu 21-Nov-13 21:19:43

ex ex pat. Wen you say canteen you mean river cottage top whiteladies?

Used to work whiteladies and regularly frequented the the boston tea party there and the one i bath when worked there.

Stokes croft worked gloucester rd too that an be real yummy mummy territory.

Agree the lounges porto lounge fishponds does wicked cooked breckfast and thats my nearest as funnily enough fishponds morries cafe not the same. I think costa were due to open next to iceland dow channons hill fishpond as saw signs but they still not opened.

nero used to do loyalty cards and was very loyal when worked in bath and think theres one next to st niks market on corn street.

Cabot circus, mall and galleries all chains.

Theres ok little one near hippodrome next to catholic church and public looks stopped in downpour rain once. Noticed new costa just off millenuim square near planitaruim when grommit hunting over the summer.

Im with you long time lurking I know they create jobs but home town high unemployment how an they afford coffee shops its aint central perk!

When worked used to frequent coffee shops more.
now they just a luxury or rarity as ids unpredictaqble and time without kids few and far between.

Iggity Thu 21-Nov-13 21:09:47

Am a tea drinker and happy enough with Costa. I like it because they list the calorie content of all the buns and pastries. Stops me buying them.

BenNJerry Thu 21-Nov-13 21:07:36

I love Costa. But I'm cheap and buy the coffee and syrups so I can make them at home. grin

exexpat Thu 21-Nov-13 21:03:51

3asABird - hello fellow Bristolian. There's the original Mud Dock, but also a new one the other side of the water the Mud Dock Deli which is more of a coffee place. Most of the real hipster places are round Stokes Croft - the pub I mentioned where you can hang your bike on the wall is the Crofter's Rights, and the place almost opposite with the Banksy is the Canteen.

There are a couple of good small, independent chains of coffee shops in Bristol - have you tried any of the Boston Tea Party places? Park St (really nice terrace at the back), Cheltenham Rd, Clifton, new one on Gloucester Rd etc. Also the Lounge chain is nice - North St, Cotham Hill, Totterdown, Fishponds and so on. But there are still quite a few real family run coffee places around too.

LongTimeLurking Thu 21-Nov-13 21:00:26

Fucking Costa are as bad as Tesco... you can't go 200 yards without walking past a Costa. I assume they do nice coffee (never tried myself) but it is depressing that every town centre up and down the country is all tesco express/costa/bookies and pawnbrokers. All the local independent retailers have gone.

SugarMouse1 Thu 21-Nov-13 20:56:00

I wouldn't say it's that trendy

A lot are full of mums and bratty toddlers! Bleuuurgh!

somewherewest Thu 21-Nov-13 20:08:18

Our local is a Costa and its clean, friendly (especially towards children) and has decent newspapers, comfy couches and nice cake. And the coffee's good enough. What's not to like grin. I don't buy into romanticising independents. Some of them are great and some of them are shite.

3asAbird Thu 21-Nov-13 19:41:05

Lucy you made me chuckle..

I knwo kind of place you mean.
Im bristol exexpat do you mean the mud dock by the waterfront or is there some new hip place.

Find the watershed bit too try hard by at bristol.

like most of shops up park street.
Not been to retro american one that was on skins yet but looks cool do they do coffee.
Used to like the roof terrace at the top of the guild, the only coffee shop I miss is borders before it shut love borders. baffled how they managed to shoe horn coffee sop into tiny water stones in the galleries.

reading service station costa overkill one outside and 1 inside.

Nothing wrong with drinking coffee.

but posting every time on fb with photos and comments like

looks nice
ooo i love costa my fave place.
could my kids look any cuter at costa?
taking well earned break fro shopping as thats all i appear to do at costa in x.

my fave cafes in small town in 90s were owned by italian families were could smoke like chimneys, sit with my grungy freinds even did coke floats and sparklers in ice cream.

Im not sure if costa good wit kids have taken mine on ocasion.
Just think since having kids rest uk is genrally crap with kids.

If im down town with mate minus the kids we be drinking something stronger and heading nearest pub/'weather spoons for cheap and cheerful bar snack and wine probably similar price to costa.

Ok concluded maybe i shouldent delete because of fb posting abuse maybe should delete them as they clearly not hip enough to seek a decent cafe.

chateauferret Thu 21-Nov-13 19:05:38

I like their toasties with cheesy bread and frangipani thing with raspberries. Yum. The one in Crewe is quite slow.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Thu 21-Nov-13 18:42:22

It's not a bad cafe, not cheap mind. But nothing in Clapham is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now