To wonder if you would randomly rename a child?

(106 Posts)
IneedAsockamnesty Tue 19-Nov-13 23:03:13

A child that had already been registered, with a name that had apsolutly no relation to the child's actual name at all,so not just a shortened version with a word that is not even a name.

Oh forgot to add its not your child and there is no history or cute back story to the rename.

So would you just decide someone else's child was called something completely different and that was that?

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 19-Nov-13 23:30:18

She hasn't gone a bit funny,she's just the same as normal.

But this is a woman who ripped the piss out of my aunt for years because she called her child baby jay ( but that may have been more because he was usually known as BJ as opposed to baby). She's got a big thing about names not one of her children or grandchildren has ever even so much as shortened their name around her and if they did she would correct them.

It makes no sense at all

PaperMover Tue 19-Nov-13 23:31:50

Maybe you could talk to your health visitor about how this has made you feel?

Could you try something? Every time your Mum does this just think about something different, don't dwell on it? You have enough on you're plate with more than one DC and a newborn.

LittleBearPad Tue 19-Nov-13 23:32:39

I call my DD nicknames all the time. Sometimes they incorporate her name sometimes they don't.

Boo isn't a bad nickname still get called it by DF

LittleBearPad Tue 19-Nov-13 23:33:20

Is it possible she dislikes the name you chose?

Inertia Tue 19-Nov-13 23:33:46

Stop calling her mum and insist on calling her Mrs Trunchbull, or Cruella. .

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 19-Nov-13 23:35:48

fag ash

That's brilliant.

I'm having aunties and other relatives emailing me asking after baby boo and a few have asked if that's her actual name because my mum has given that impression.

I've asked her if she knows what her name is and yes she does,so its not as if I forgot to tell her

steff13 Tue 19-Nov-13 23:38:05

I can't believe someone would think "baby boo," is her actual name. If it really bothers you, you might say something, but I am a firm believer in picking your battles, and this just isn't one I would pick. It's quite possible the baby will grow up with fond memories of her grandmother's nickname for her, as I did with my grandfather calling me Suzie.

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 19-Nov-13 23:44:06

paper

Its a bit trivial for that really. And I'm not sure I could express the lighthearted bemusement very well.

littleBear

That's possible but she's not keen on my nephews name but didn't do the same thing.

I'm going to take up referring to her as adult slippers and see what happens.

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 19-Nov-13 23:49:10

Steff.

Tbh they don't know me well I have only conversed from afar type thing since I left home decades ago, and when they did know me it is exactly the sort of thing they would have expected me to do ( as a youngster I was very flighty and a bit far out) so naming a child boo would not have surprised them.

PaperMover Tue 19-Nov-13 23:49:25

It's not trivial if it is bothering you a lot. I read your thread and it sounded like me when I had my first DC, it turned out to be pnd.

Might this be her last grandchild?

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 19-Nov-13 23:55:05

That must have been awful for you I hope you weren't ill for to long.

If anybody else had done it I may raise an eyebrow and correct them but after I would not even think about it,its just because its her and its such a strange thing for her to do that's confuddled me a bit( rather a lot really).

Fannydabbydozey Tue 19-Nov-13 23:59:12

Fag ash - that totally made my night. Pelvic floor gone.

My son has a proper name but I call him Moo. I mean I call him by his proper name too, usually when I'm shouting for him/at him. But mostly he's Moo.

He says he likes it. He's only ten though.

My brother was given two official names at birth. One he has NEVER been called and a middle name, which is the name most people use. Except myself and my mum also call him by another, totally different name. No-one else is allowed to use this name, not even his wife!

I only have the one bog standard name. Everyone else seems so exotic.

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 20-Nov-13 00:04:09

Might this be her last grandchild?

I would say unlikely if you take my kids out of the equation the next youngest gc is 3 and his mother quite fancies another.

She's also very likely to have great gc's in the not to distant future as I also have a dd in her 20's.

notapizzaeater Wed 20-Nov-13 00:06:44

I renamed my brother "spadge" when he was born, he's 32 now and still answers to it ......

For some unknown reason my nan always called me Gail growing up, I have never been a Gail or anything vaguely like it, I just smiled and gritted my teeth.

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 20-Nov-13 00:10:19

Spadge do you mind if I steal that and use it for her dog

BlackeyedSusan Wed 20-Nov-13 00:19:43

i might be tempted to send back emails hinting that youare ocncerned about her developing demetia...

Tallaween Wed 20-Nov-13 00:20:16

I still call my sister Boo blush She is 26 and a mother if two. Her actual name is norhing like Boo, at all she probably hates it

My Dad (and sisters) calls me Poppy, or Pop. Has done for as long as I can remember, no idea why*. It is not my name or anything close to my name confused I do like it though, it makes me feel close to him/special.

If it's just a pet name your baby may like it when she's older... maybe.

*though this year DH did point out that I was practically born on remembrance day, he is such a ruiner of things angry

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 20-Nov-13 00:32:45

My eldest was born the day before rememberance day.

If my siblings or any of their children had ever been given a nick name by her then this wouldn't surprise me at all but in over 20 years of grand parenting and 50 of parenting she has never done this to anybody at all.

And she would have had a apocalyptic rage if anyone else had.

Elefant1 Wed 20-Nov-13 10:15:20

Is your DDs name Eleanor? I know of 2 Eleanor's totally unconnected to each other who are both nicknamed Boo, I have no idea why.

TheRealAmandaClarke Wed 20-Nov-13 10:29:48

I hardly ever se my DS's name although i love it. I usually use a nn. He s 3. It's a term of endearment, keeps him s,all and cuddly in a way.
If your DM generally avoids nicknamshe aye she doesn't like the name then. Or maybe she's just softening about nicknames.
Is that likely?
Are you and DP together??? Does she like him???

Congratulations on your new baby.

GhostsInSnow Wed 20-Nov-13 10:49:33

I have an Eleanor, she's called Belle. My late FIL used to call her Ellie Bell which evolved to Bells and eventually just Belle. She's 16 now and hasn't told anyone off for it so I assume she likes it, her friends call her Belle or Bells as well, in fact I can't think of anyone who calls her Ellie or Eleanor. I did get some looks when she was smaller because I think people thought I'd named her for a Disney Princess blush

DS has a perfectly normal everyday name as well, only when he was about 4 he took to wearing a flat cap. Coupled with the wellies he wore and the tweed winter coat he had, he looked for the world like a little old man and we nicknamed him 'Bert'. He's 21 after Christmas, he's still Bert. When he got to his early teens and his friends would knock on they would say 'Is Bert in?'. Used to make me laugh anyway.

Find an annoying epithet for 'grandma' and every time she calls your DD 'baby boo' say "Oh look, <correct name of child>, here's Nanny nonkins"?

Lancelottie Wed 20-Nov-13 11:02:27

Grit your teeth for two years or so. Then get DD do glare witheringly and say,'That's not my name, silly granny.'

Tulip26 Wed 20-Nov-13 11:18:22

Makes me think of Catherine Tate's old lady character. "Fancy calling a baby 'Tescos!'" "You mean, 'Francesca?'"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now