Animals vs humans

(1003 Posts)
fifi669 Fri 01-Nov-13 13:16:50

AIBU to think if faced with choosing a pet over a human (even if a stranger), you should choose the human?

The idea was brought up in another thread and put in life or death situation. Building on fire contains your pet and a stranger. You could only save one, who would it be?

I had a dog, Ralph, I cried my heart out when he died 3 years ago. The only dog I wasn't scared of! But I can't imagine leaving a person to die instead, no matter how my heart would break.

FreakinRexManningDay Fri 01-Nov-13 13:20:39

Depends on what type of human is in the fire? If its a paedophile/abuser/murderer/any of the DM journos then I'd leave them to burn and rescue fido.

Strumpetron Fri 01-Nov-13 13:21:43

Is chose my dog over a stranger. I honestly don't expect people to share my view, but my dog is part if my family.

The fire fighters I word with say the dogs tend to get out. The people not so much. From a moral stance, I would save the person.

tumbletumble Fri 01-Nov-13 13:23:17

YANBU

Bubbles1066 Fri 01-Nov-13 13:24:51

I would always rescue the human. I'm a veggie, do what I can for animal rights etc but it would always be the human even if they were a bad person. My reason is that everyone is some person's child, sibling etc no matter what they do and I would choose to save them for the sake of their family. An animal, as much as I love them, will only be missed by me and as harsh as it is, it's much easier to get over losing a pet than a loved one.

NotYoMomma Fri 01-Nov-13 13:26:32

always the human. because I am not a knob

MaidOfStars Fri 01-Nov-13 13:27:58

I would always choose a human animal - any human animal - over most non-human animals, with a grey area for me around the human .v. other great apes level.

LST Fri 01-Nov-13 13:29:22

I'm a knob. Along with my whole family and every person I have asked at work. Though we would all try to rescue both.

everlong Fri 01-Nov-13 13:29:30

I think in that situation your instincts would kick in and you would save the persons life.

NotYoMomma Fri 01-Nov-13 13:29:33

im confused maid so... chimpanzee trumps dog? :p

Yonididnaedaethat Fri 01-Nov-13 13:29:49

I would save my dogs before my husband (joke).

Tbh I don't know 100% what I would do if I were faced with that decision.

fifi669 Fri 01-Nov-13 13:29:54

Lol at notyomomma

Elsiequadrille Fri 01-Nov-13 13:30:24

What notyomomma said.

Seriously hmm at anyone choosing an animal over a baby/child/adult, and I say that as owner of pets who are very much loved and part of our family.

MaidOfStars Fri 01-Nov-13 13:30:31

Strumpetron, are you so sure you'd be able to ignore the wails of burning child in order to save your dog?

How could you look the parents in the face? How could you live with yourself?

MaidOfStars Fri 01-Nov-13 13:31:40

Burning Building Top Trumps.

msrisotto Fri 01-Nov-13 13:31:44

Can you imagine the fall out from the human's family and media if it came out that you save the dog over the human? I'd save the human even if there were no other reason than that tbh.

SharpLily Fri 01-Nov-13 13:32:03

I'm sorry, but I simply wouldn't be able to just leave my dog in there. I'd never forgive myself. He's more than just an animal to me, he is a very important part of our family. I'd make an effort to go back for the stranger afterwards, if that makes me sound any better? grin

NotYoMomma Fri 01-Nov-13 13:32:49

save the human to avoid the daily mail hating you even more, they already hate you

grin

Id rescue my wine rack before my fucking stupid dogs.

Sirzy Fri 01-Nov-13 13:35:57

Human first without doubt. If you can only save one I don't know why anyone would allow a human to die.

NotYoMomma Fri 01-Nov-13 13:36:06

yy monkey - with the impending wine shortage needs must

I'd save the human every time.
I don't understand people that wouldn't.

CeliaLytton Fri 01-Nov-13 13:38:10

YANBU

absentmindeddooooodles Fri 01-Nov-13 13:38:40

Obviously a human.....no queation really?!?! But id go back in to get my cat after if it wasnt risking my life.

I love animals but human would win every time.

This thread is not accepting new messages.