Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To hate DH's beard?

(73 Posts)
DameMarjorieChardem Wed 30-Oct-13 23:50:04

DH has always been clean shaven. I'm not a fan of facial hair. He has grown a beard and I HATE it!! I love him but oh man I want to scratch my face off when he kisses me! I'm really hoping its just a phase but he really likes it. He is good looking but the beard hides his loveliness. Maybe I should LTB. (Leave the beard).

Help me Mumsnet, I'm NBU am I?

EldritchCleavage Thu 31-Oct-13 11:05:41

His chin, his choice.

You don't have to kiss him though.

McAvity Thu 31-Oct-13 11:14:01

Is that you Mrs Paxman?

uncomfortablydumb Thu 31-Oct-13 11:20:32

grin at Mrs Paxman

oakmouse Thu 31-Oct-13 11:20:37

I quite like beards. I suppose a man can do what he likes with his own damn face, but a woman is also entitled to her sensory preferences. Please trim the bits of your moustache that come over your mouth. And for the love of God, don't call it a 'flavour saver'.

chocolatemartini Thu 31-Oct-13 11:23:21

Yabu. Beards are sexy. The prickly stage will pass as it gets longer wink

vichill Thu 31-Oct-13 11:29:31

I generally like beardies but it doesnt suit my dh at all. He looks homeless.I dyed my hair blonde as he defied my request to shave. He finds me more attractive as a brunette so until he gives in we will continue to find each other physically repugnant.

Lazysuzanne Thu 31-Oct-13 11:37:50

If I was a man I'd have a beard...great for covering up a less than firm jawline!

OTheHugeManatee Thu 31-Oct-13 11:46:01

YABU. I love beards. Provided they're neat and trimmed, that is. Not sure I'd like a long tickly whispy beard on DH, but a gentleman's beard is always an improvement grin

ILoveAFullFridge Thu 31-Oct-13 12:37:57

peggyundercrackers dh couldn't give a monkeys whether or not I shave grin

But he does dislike dangly earrings so, while I mostly wear dangles for comfort, if I'm going out with him I will wear studs. Similarly, he prefers me to have longer hair, so I don't cut it very short without first discussing it with him.

harticus Thu 31-Oct-13 12:41:50

Me too Lazysuzanne. I love beards. Think I am developing a bit of a fetish for them actually.
I would have one of those whacking great Edwardian ones. grin

APartridgeAmongThePigeons Thu 31-Oct-13 12:45:18

It's his face so yabu.. However it's your face being torn up so you have a right to ignore him... if that leads to a beard free face so be it

I quite like a sexy beard grin

SignoraStronza Thu 31-Oct-13 12:53:41

YABVVVU. Real men have beards. Fact. I don't mean those stupid trendy Lahndon hipster jobbies either. I'm talking the full on Brian Blessed. Phnarrr!

DH had lovely, clean, well maintained beard and resembles a pirate. No scratchiness if properly grown out and no issues with snogging or <ahem> other matters.

So, imo, every man should sport one, especially metalheads, bikers and pirates. grin

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Thu 31-Oct-13 13:00:32

love DHs goatee tash and beard but would hate a full on shaggy Growth. a few years ago I rrealised that I had never actually seen his face without one and asked him to shave it off so I could. he refused then one day without telling me went and did it. I didn't notice shock he went to work and no one there noticed either. part way through the day someone said 'are you ok... you look pale' he laughed and told them it was cos he had shaved they were shock one girl said 'oh I did not realise you even had a beard! obviously not a very observant lot are we smile its' stayed on since.

misskatamari Thu 31-Oct-13 13:00:35

I love my DHs beard. It's why I approached him in the first place. If the beard is quite new it might be scratchy but once it grows a bit it should be softer and lovely. Give it time, soon you will realise the awesomeness of beards and you'll never want him to shave it off grin

Lazysuzanne Thu 31-Oct-13 13:09:42

Beards allow men to do creative things with their faces, mitigating the effects of lipstick and eyeliner envy.

I think beards should be encouraged grin

RealAleandOpenFires Fri 01-Nov-13 02:32:55

Ok beard lovers & haters....My beard is just about 18 inches long & about 8-10 inches wide.

My DP & DC have never seen me without my 'tache nor beard.

ZombieRevengeWiggle Fri 01-Nov-13 07:05:00
WhoeverHeardOfAFucker Fri 01-Nov-13 07:13:16

My DP had a gorgeous beard when we met. He shaved it off a couple of years ago and has grown the most awful handlebar/70's moustache. He looks like my dad. hmm

FruOla Fri 01-Nov-13 07:30:01

EcclesCakes, your story about your DH shaving off his beard and nobody noticing has reminded me of my Dad. He always had a 'tache, but on the day he and Mum got married he decided to shave off his 'tache. She didn't notice either, even when it got to "you may now kiss the bride" grin. Their wedding photos are the only time I've ever seen Dad without a tache!

foofooyeah Fri 01-Nov-13 07:31:03

There is no sitting on the fence when it comes to beards! This thread has made me grin

Chopstheduck Fri 01-Nov-13 07:39:39

jsut grin at leave the beard. That's all!

cheeseandpineapple Fri 01-Nov-13 07:54:12

DH knows I'm a bit luke warm about his newish beard but secretly, I've got used to it and think it would look like something was missing if he shaved it off. Don't like it too long but a little longer than stubble is my favourite.

Wonder if Jamie Dornan will be clean shaven for 50 shades... Not a fan at all of the books and wasn't that fussed about the film but knowing he's in it might make me take a peek when it comes out..

They are definitely versatile Zombie

This is my DP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now