To dig out my judgy-pants here?

(36 Posts)
MakeHayIsAWhaleNow Wed 30-Oct-13 10:14:19

I do try not to judge, honest (at least out loud) but this really got my goat yesterday. We passed a car with a woman smoking in it and a toddler in the backseat. The car was stationary so she could have got out, as it was she had the window cracked about 4 inches so she could chuck out her fag ash but was making no effort to at least breathe out of the gap. Now, I'm not a fan of smoking in general, but each to their own as long as it's not near me or my children and I can even understand people who smoke and have children if they are making an effort to do it away from them - outside for example. But smoking in cars with a child in it? How hard is it to get out (yes, I know she could have had a hidden disability....but there was no blue badge that I could see, and even so....) or to wait until you have got home?

This has probably been done to death, but I don't care - I need to vent a bit. I've seen people driving and smoking with children in the car but never anyone stopped and could therefore be doing it outside. My little-used (honest) judgy pants are currently giving me a wedgie.....

Handbagsonnhold Wed 30-Oct-13 13:22:25

Yanbu it's purely rank confused

Whatdoiknowanyway Wed 30-Oct-13 13:22:57

Stationary: a as in cAr
Stationery: e as in pEn

Can't believe I was nearly 50 before i learnt this rule smile

MakeHayIsAWhaleNow Wed 30-Oct-13 14:14:23

I have been thoroughly educated thlgrin. Will never forget again!!!

JessieMcJessie Wed 30-Oct-13 15:52:43

Crowler my Mum (who gave up smoking completely when I was in my teens) also denied that she ever smoked in the car! She denied it to my brother and me, even though we were there! She obviously felt so guilty as a result of health education campaigns that she blocked out what she has done.

I also have v clear memories of sitting with my parents in the smoking section of the plane, and being v happy when we were old enough to sit in the non- smoking section by ourselves.

I don't have any lasting health problems from it though.

LEMisafucker Wed 30-Oct-13 15:57:35

If i see a smoker i think they are foolish, if i see someone smoking around chilren, believe me i judge!

Jolleigh Wed 30-Oct-13 16:00:26

My mum and nana both used to do this with me and/or my brother in the car. I used to tell them how sick it made me and they both decided I was just prone to car sickness. angry

I've nothing against smokers. I've not long since quit myself. But in a confined space with a child is extremely selfish.

RobinVanPrissy Wed 30-Oct-13 16:00:47

I smoke. Its a grim habit, no excuse for polluting kids with second hand smoke. I dont think smoker's should ever smoke around children.

Whatdoiknowanyway, no that's not how you say it!

It's:
Stationary - station-airy (not moving)
Stationery - Station-ree (writing materials)

That's how I say it anyway, as does everyone I know. And we work with stationery.

I've just checked my dictionary, and it's definitely the right way around.

letsgomaths Wed 30-Oct-13 21:22:09

Stationery/stationary: e for envelope, a for sitting on your arse.

Southeastdweller Wed 30-Oct-13 21:25:26

YADNBU. There's no excuse for this crap. Selfish cow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now