Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

In thinking its not ok to pass negative comment about names unless directly asked?

(117 Posts)
IneedAsockamnesty Wed 16-Oct-13 11:50:05

No issues at all if your actually asked your opinion but if your not asked

if you are not one of the parents of the actual baby being named or recently named you should do nothing other than smile or say something nice.

Anything else is overstepping rude and hurtful.

kiwik Sun 20-Oct-13 09:10:29

I've had lots of negative comments about my youngest DS's name. I don't really care what others think (other than that they are rude), as I love his name.
He's Horatio, but called Ray most of the time, as DS2 couldn't say Horatio and it stuck. smile

Cluesue Sun 20-Oct-13 02:58:45

My dd is Devan,i had a lot of negative reactions and over the phone with strangers they assume she is a he a lot!

skinoncustard Sun 20-Oct-13 02:30:09

I really wanted to call my DD Verity until my DH pointed out our surname begins with the letter D . The name sounded great, pity about the initials !

Strokethefurrywall Sun 20-Oct-13 02:19:37

Bunty I love Dylan for a girl. Is one of the top choices if this hobbit turns out to be a she but we're plenty aware that it will get lots of raised eyebrows and "but it's a boys name!" - I don't give a toss, it's my baby and I'll name it what I want!

I don't think having a boys name has done Cameron Diaz any harm... I think Cameron is ace on a girl.

AndYouCanDance Sun 20-Oct-13 01:48:55

I like Cameron as a girls name. It's lovely.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 19-Oct-13 15:40:33

Bunty

I would possibly do a slight double take, but it's because my brother shares the name not because I'm inclined to ranting about it being a boys name per se. It's not on heard of. If you had called her Jonathan they may have a bit more of a point.

Worse still David Cameron came into office I'm not always immediately sure who people (who know my brother) are referring to when saying "Cameron is such a knob" grin

I had an ex who started a conversation about how much he hated surnames as first names and used my brother (and your daughters) name as an example. I wasn't exactly impressed. It didn't last.

Along the same vein, please don't say, "But that's a BOY'S NAME".

Yes, it traditionally is. I don't give a fuck. That's my daughter's name, and repeating it and then uttering the above sentence will make me want to punch you in the face.

It's not even as if it's unheard of as a girl's name. Just unusual.

So as not to drip feed, she is Cameron.

PeppiNephrine Sat 19-Oct-13 13:50:42

U. Ryan doesn't sound anything at all like urine.

AndYouCanDance Sat 19-Oct-13 12:55:17

I gave my son a one-syllable first name.
DM said "oh you can't call a baby that. It's so abrupt" hmm

Well he is now almost a man and his short name suits him perfectly.

Ah, ok, is it an accent thing then? I don't pronounce Ryan like that so got a bit confused. Sorry blush

Apileofballyhoo Sat 19-Oct-13 12:42:27

Urine.

U. Ryan, Peppi.

I still don't get it? confused

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 19-Oct-13 11:54:09

It depends on how close I was the person.

I would expect honesty from my closest friends as they would from me. People I know less well would just get the nod and smile. When a friend of my dp girlfriend was pregnant I did that when she told me their boy name. Fortunately they had a girl.

Though I must admit I struggle to understand it when posters post on the baby name board on MN asking for opinions and then get shirty when people offer them in a polite manner. Obviously there are limits though. I find it fascinating when somebody asks for opinion on x name to go with y siblings name and people focus on the already very much named sibling. That's just deliberately seeking to be rude surely?

Apileofballyhoo Sat 19-Oct-13 11:18:59

U. Ryan, Peppi.

Spanglemum Fri 18-Oct-13 13:42:25

My DD has what is considered to be a 'chavvy' name. I don't care, it's her name, it was chosen for a reason and she likes it. The name snobbery on MN is one of its less attractive features. YANBU OP

PeppiNephrine Fri 18-Oct-13 13:20:05

I don't get it.

I knew someone at school named Ursula Ryan. Not good.

PeppiNephrine Fri 18-Oct-13 12:33:26

Thats another urban myth. It's even on snopes (its from the US and deemed to be an offensive joke)
here

DreamingofSummer Fri 18-Oct-13 12:27:12

A close relative of mine who is a nurse had to talk a mother out of calling her daughter Klamydia. She liked the sound and thought it would be all right if spelled with a K

AdmiralData Fri 18-Oct-13 12:24:12

YANBU, OP. The name I wanted to call my son was sneered at by everyone to the point where I changed my mind and now he has a bog standard, normal and slightly boring name. However I still love him to bits (obviously) As long as it isn't anything that could cause offence eg, titzilla or HItler people should keep harsh opinions to themselves.

foslady Fri 18-Oct-13 12:20:10

One of my pet hates is this. It takes a lot for me to hate anything but I REALLY hate it when people judge on names and feel they have a right to mouth off about it. I'd much rather have a parent with a child named because it's the name they love than because everyone hated the name they wanted.....

MoominsYonisAreScary Fri 18-Oct-13 10:54:55

Dont know little friends/family just didnt like it at all

IneedAsockamnesty Fri 18-Oct-13 10:54:47

I don't think I would ever say I disliked a name unless I was directly asked.

Tbh I wouldn't notice if it made a funny combo my brain does not work that way unless they are very obvious.

persimmon Fri 18-Oct-13 10:20:37

unbelievably

persimmon Fri 18-Oct-13 10:20:23

An acquaintance named her DD a name starting with K with the surname Hunt.
Someone should have said something.
But if you just don't like the name, keep schtum, unless it's a really close friend and the name is unbelievable awful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now