to use the skyflyer solo service for my kids?

(58 Posts)
MajorieDawes Sun 13-Oct-13 22:31:22

Not really AIBU but really need honest opinions ASAP.

We live in NYC. My mum lives in London and has stage 4 breast cancer. Originally we were told she has 18-24 months. I came for a few days, planning to come back with kids in Christmas.

Just before I came a few days ago my Mum has suddenly started gone downhill so fast, it's scary. We don't think she's going to last more than a couple of weeks if that. She really wants to see the grandchildren (aged nearly 10 and nearly 7). They're in NYC right now. I was going to fly back and get them but my Mum has now said she would rather I didn't go as she wants me to stay. My husband can't bring them as his work is inflexible.

We were thinking of having them fly on a day flight with the BA skyflyer solo service. Flight is about 6.5 hours. DH will wait at airport in case of delays (it's the rule anyway). I will pick them up.

What do you think?

MajorieDawes Mon 28-Oct-13 19:25:52

Just a big thank you for your reassurance. The kids did fly with skyflyer and LOVED every second. In fact they ended up flying back with them because BA wanted $2800 for dh's last minute ticket and he could go with another airline for half the price.

Coming from a family of Air hostesses - they will be fine! It will be an adventure and they will be very well cared for. I would do it with my kids if I needed to without a second thought. They'll get treated like VIPs!

Sorry to hear about your Mum though, all my thoughts are with you and her. thanks

See... This is why you should read to the end... blush

DreaduCated Mon 28-Oct-13 19:34:25

Glad to hear they enjoyed it. It must have been a great adventure, even with the sad reason for the trip. How are you?

TheFuckersonInquiry Mon 28-Oct-13 19:41:01

Glad the flights worked out ok.

trinity0097 Mon 28-Oct-13 20:03:53

They will be fine at that age. I first flew alone aged 4, admittedly an hour flight, but this was pre electronic devices to occupy children! They will be well looked after by the crew.

everlong Mon 28-Oct-13 20:10:27

They will be absolutely fine.
I'm so sorry about your mum, such a sad time for you.
I hope she gets to spend some precious time with her grandchildren. Thinking of you x

foreverondiet Mon 28-Oct-13 20:16:26

My kids are the same age (just turned 10 and 7), and I would think its ok, just make sure they have plenty to do on the journey. Would want to give them ipod/tablet to occupy them but I guess risk of losing it but probably a risk would have to take. I would rather send both together - think my 10 year old could cope better with her brother there than on her own but only you know your kids - he is much more independent than her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now