Its not okay is it? sitting/ standing in the shopping part of the trolley?

(436 Posts)
Feminine Mon 30-Sep-13 11:46:50

I'm sure this has been done many times.

I'm thinking about it today though grin

If your child is too big to want or can't fit in the seat part you don't then let them climb in the other part of the trolley?

Filthy dirty feet where I'll put my food.

Standing up (dangerous)

I'm not being unreasonable to suggest that its the seat, or walk right?

I saw this with several families yesterday...it got up my nose wink

Oh and I know there are germs everywhere... this makes it worse

fromparistoberlin Fri 04-Oct-13 13:33:02

I have to say I kind of forgot about that MN campaign, and I am glad to have been reminded

I couldn't give a shit about trolley issue either way, but sometimes its good to have a little "injection" and reminder.

Chylesi-mae, snurk

AnaisHendricks Wed 02-Oct-13 22:43:17

Farewell, the Ghost of MrsDeVere...

Put some chilli seeds in his shower gel from me.

MrsDeVere Wed 02-Oct-13 22:30:14

<wafts off to haunt Nigel>

AnaisHendricks Wed 02-Oct-13 22:27:08

<judges The Ghost of MrsDeVere for shopping in Asda>

Not what I'd expect from a UKIP voter.

(Sorry, I can't help it, that comment has amused me all afternoon)

MrsDeVere Wed 02-Oct-13 22:16:19

The last thing I heard on this earthly plain was 'Sharon, clean up in aisle five, and six, and seven....'

<whoooooooo>

AnaisHendricks Wed 02-Oct-13 22:09:25

Thanks for that HQ, and for the deletion.

Isn't this nice and civilised? smile

losingtrust Wed 02-Oct-13 22:05:38

My dd always use to sit in the shopping part with the shopping all around her. She was too big to go in the the baby seat and she kept running so I used to sit her in with book or toy.

MissDD1971 Wed 02-Oct-13 22:04:57

breatheslowly - I think MrsDeVere should change jeans for JORTS - denim shorts.

see Makeupalley for their hatred of jorts. LOL grin

MissDD1971 Wed 02-Oct-13 22:03:36

Iced - no worries. smile

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 02-Oct-13 22:03:33

Hello there,

We thought this might be a good time to link to our This Is My Child campaign.

Myth 1 ('Behavioural disorders are a fashionable excuse for bad behaviour and poor parenting') and Myth 6 ('You can always tell when someone has a disability') might be particularly relevant.

Thanks
MNHQ

rhetorician Wed 02-Oct-13 22:01:53

I know discussion moved on, but sitting ok, standing definitely not. DD1, then 3 going on 4 stood in ikea trolley. Trolley hits little ikea pencil on floor, brakes hard, DD1 pitches head first onto concrete floor. Much howling, a bloodied nose and none the worse, but could have ended very badly. She still occasionally goes in, but never ever standing. Has to get out immediately if she gets off her bum. Problem is there's not enough room for the shopping, plus she can access it all...

IcedCoffeeQueen Wed 02-Oct-13 22:01:27

I've pm'd you back missDD but just want to say publically i truly appreciate your apology, its great when a thread like this can help people understand SN a little better smile

thanks

Are toddlers not meant to wear jeans?

AnaisHendricks Wed 02-Oct-13 21:59:58

Masterful, MrsDeVere, just masterful.

Sorry to hear you exploded. Still, one less UKIP voter, eh? gringrin grin

HaroldLloyd Wed 02-Oct-13 21:58:30

MRS DV shite I think mines about the blow.

Call the paramedics.

MissDD1971 Wed 02-Oct-13 21:58:19

MrsDVere - you've been watching Big Fat Gipsy series again haven't you?! grin

MissDD1971 Wed 02-Oct-13 21:57:37

and see the mother...

puts on Judgy McJudgerson Flame Proof Pants

MissDD1971 Wed 02-Oct-13 21:57:02

MrsDeVere - come to ASDA in Beddington Lane (Croydon) and trust me you will SEE that child and you will not be a ghost writing that post!!!

MissDD1971 Wed 02-Oct-13 21:55:56

icedcoffeeQueen flowers from me too and sincerely.

MrsDeVere Wed 02-Oct-13 21:53:10

Today I saw a toddler with pierced ears, standing in a trolley, in Asda and her name was Chylesi-mae. She was drinking a red bull that had not been paid for and playing COD on her ipad.
Her mum was using her milk tokens to buy fags and ignoring her baby who was wearing jeans.

My judginess gland exploded and I died.

This is a ghost writing this post.

<Whooooooooo>

AnaisHendricks Wed 02-Oct-13 21:51:16

IcedCoffeeQueen flowers

Thanks for answering MissDD, and for taking what has been said on board.

MissDD1971 Wed 02-Oct-13 21:46:23

IcedCoffeeQueen - I get you and I apologise. I should have phrased it better.

Trust me my friend's DD with ADHD when she was off Ritalin - it was great for her but for my friend - MY GOSH! tantrum alert, touching or trying to touch almost ENTIRE sections of the Met Museum in NY etc....

I get how it was nice for her to get a break from Ritalin but her poor mother.... smile

MissDD1971 Wed 02-Oct-13 21:43:47

oh what I also meant not that I don't bother with PC but I don't fall over myself backwards re it and certainly not in Daily Mail type scenarios.

I try to keep aware of what is/is not PC but I'm certainly not going to lie awake at night worrying about it!

IcedCoffeeQueen Wed 02-Oct-13 21:43:16

I never noted names just noticed the comment about not being PC a few times throughout the thread, Its something I hear a lot not just regarding SN but for say sexist or homophobic comments etc. I think people need to stop thinking about whether what they are saying is PC and focus on if that comment is sensitive and understanding to others that's all.

I know you have not intended to be nasty but reading a comparison between 'normal' children and children with SN is hurtful whoever says it im not aiming my posts at anyone particular though just trying to help some gain a little understanding

Its very unlikely anyone would spot ds has SN from seeing him in the supermarket, and at almost 8 he is far too big for the trolley and wont fit much longer but for now its an option, im sure people would have a lot more to judge if they seen him running up and down the aisles, twirling in circles, re-arranging the products, touching and smelling everything, screaming if I put a hand on him to calm him, asking incessant questions that make him appear rude to strangers, or sitting down and refusing to move at all, ds actually asks to go in the trolley now as he knows himself its the best option for him.

MissDD1971 Wed 02-Oct-13 21:42:10

Anais - no I am UK born and bred but have a very good friend whom I've known since about 9 years old (she has 2 DD, 1 with ADHD, other with cleft palate (operated on now) and slight deafness).

She IS American and I go to stay with her every few years - I know NY, Philly and Delaware VERY WELL. LOL. but she coaches me in americanisms/food etc... I knew about Pop Tarts WAAAYYY before you could get them in UK and hadn't even been to US then! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now