Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think if the Jewish Council and the FA are upset by Spurs fans yelling "yid army"

(310 Posts)
kim147 Tue 17-Sep-13 18:44:32

Then Cameron should back off- He says it's not being used as a hate word and the fans claim they are reclaiming it.

The FA and the Jewish council of Deputies think it's offensive.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/sep/17/david-cameron-yids-chants-spurs

Of course, Cameron comes from that privileged class who rarely get called offensive terms (apart from references to Eton)

Oblomov Fri 20-Sep-13 15:57:51

I'm having nightmares about AVB in his skinny tracksuit. Link please Olgaga. wink

olgaga Fri 20-Sep-13 16:22:26

grin sorry I just realised it sounds worse than it is!

Not a look everyone can pull off. Rather Max Wall-esque

MrsBethel Fri 20-Sep-13 16:23:40

I think Cameron's point was purely a technical one - that it is not currently illegal to use an offensive word to describe yourself. And I don't see we can reasonably ban people from doing so.

We can discourage it. And if it 'legitimises' some horrible hate chants from others (as Baddiel argues), I think we should discourage it.

Should we ban black musicians from using the N-word? Should we ban 'Four Poofs And A Piano' from self-identifying with that name? Plainly not.

Whether non-Jewish Spurs fans (and most are not Jewish) should be allowed to use the word is a trickier question. This ultimately hinges on whether it cause offence, which depends on people making complaints and the merits of those complaints being considered. That sounds like a better plan to me than simply going along with whatever those cretins at the FA happen to think.

Cameron is talking out of his shit hole as usual. I fully believe he is trying to be seen as 'one of the lads' on this one.

As DH pointed out, the Tottenham fans may think they are 'reclaiming' the word, but all it does is encourage rival club fans to call them disparaging names, often 'dirty Yid', 'Yid scum' etc. They are making things worse by using the term to refer to themselves.

Oblomov Fri 20-Sep-13 16:40:13

Thank goodness for that grin
I thought you were going to link to a picture of AVB with all his 'crowning glory' showing, like this :shorts

on this old thread willyobsessed

Thankfully NOT. grin

olgaga Fri 20-Sep-13 16:49:50

shock No, I think we covered male genitalia when I mentioned the chant about foreskins!

RussiansOnTheSpree Fri 20-Sep-13 16:54:41

Goldenbear Sorry but it's not 'bollox' (sic) at all. The fact that you might be ignorant (perhaps because of your comfortable 'MC' (sic) upbringing doesn't negate the truth or my personal experience.

Full fridge, I don't get that. In what way isit turning my back on my heritage to say I am uncomfortable with people - shouting yid?

ILoveAFullFridge Fri 20-Sep-13 17:17:09

It doesn't make a bit of difference whether someone says "filthy Jew" or "filthy Yid". Both are equally offensive. So shall we ban the word Jew? But it's not the Jew bit or the Yid bit that is the problem!

My parents and all my ancestors could proudly say "Ich bin a Yid". Why should I allow some racist twats to take that part of my heritage away from me?

Ich bin a Yid!

Goldenbear Fri 20-Sep-13 17:46:14

Russians how can I be ignorant when I was present at the matches during that period. Surely you are the ignorant one as your Imagined fears actually meant you never stepped foot in the grounds!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now