to buy guide camp blanket for brownies?

(57 Posts)

Dd1 is nearly 9, dd2 is nearly 7, joining her sister in brownies at christmas. Dd1's sash is full and so was wondering about getting a camp blanket for each of them and start putting badges on there instead. Also if I can be bothered to transfer their rainbow ones. I figure that neither will want brownie blankets in guides, so thought would be more worthwhile getting guide blanket. Or maybe just a standard plain blanket? Their leaders are v relaxed so sure won't mind whichever I do - not sure what peers will say though. They tend to have one holiday and one sleepover a year.

AnnaBegins Sat 07-Sep-13 12:41:48

Yay lottie pink blankets! Thanks mum too...

<I've been told that it is quite easy to machine sew badges onto blankets... of course I would never dream of doing that>

MrsFionaCharming Sat 07-Sep-13 13:47:12

Actually, thinking on it, I like that my blanket is quite small. It does mean I don't use it as a blanket to sleep under, but it also means I can fit it into a bag when going on International camps more easily. Mine has traveled around the world with me, fitting easily into my suitcase. A big woolen one wouldn't do that.

nickelbabe Sat 07-Sep-13 14:06:08

mine are all machine-sewn on

trice Sat 07-Sep-13 15:08:56

I love fleece for indoors but it is positively lethal for sitting around a campfire. If you get an ember landing on it it melts and sticks to the skin. I have nice wool army blankets made into capes. They are very warm, slightly waterproof and fire resistant.

volestair Sat 07-Sep-13 17:29:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BackforGood Sat 07-Sep-13 18:02:03

Mrstigs My dcs have badges that have been 'superceded' ... so, when they get their '20 nights away' badge, then the '10 nights away' badge that is coming off the uniform goes onto the blanket, as an example.
Same with the 'participation' badges, as you only wear the current one.

They often will buy a badge at a campsite they have been to, as a momento/souvineer, and they go on.
Quite often there are occasions that are celebrated, where the badges are worn for that year - the Centenary (of Scouting) Badge was a good example, or last year's Diamond Jubilee badge, again, these go on when their 'time on the uniform' is finished.
Sometimes there are similar commemorative ones, if your dc's group has an anniversary or something more local.

Also they sometimes get a badge to celebrate a big camp, and they are only kept on uniform for that year, so then they go on the blanket.

Generally, blankets don't come into their own until they are Scouts, Explorers and Adults. There won't be many to come off during the time in Beavers, but may be some of the 'Staged' badges (they are turquoise with a purple border - for nights away, swimming, hikes, IT, First Aid, and music) as they go through Cubs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now