about cyclists and road tax?

(88 Posts)

I often hear people moaning (both online and in real life)'\ about cyclists and complaining that because drivers pay road tax the cyclists shouldn't be allowed on the road blah blah blah. hmm

WIBU to point out loudly to the next idiot that comes out with this that there is no such thing as road tax? And that cyclists pay taxes that go towards maintaining the road network just like everyone else? Oh and that although there are dangerous cyclists there are also dangerous drivers?

I'm not a cyclist but this really pisses me off.

Rant over.

BrokenSunglasses Mon 02-Sep-13 15:08:15

YWBU. Lots of people started paying road tax before they decided to change it to emissions tax, so it's pretty much the same thing to many people.

prettybird Mon 02-Sep-13 15:15:05

I don't think there are many people still driving who paid road tax, since it was abolished in 1937 and replaced by Vehicle Excise Duty grin.

WoTmania Mon 02-Sep-13 15:17:55

YANBU

I'm a motorist, an occasional cyclist, and a horse rider and all three are capable of being utter idiots on the road. Most recently while leading my horse down the lane 2 cyclists tried to whizz by without announcing their presence, one got past and really startled dhorse so he swung from the verge into the middle of the road. As the 2nd cyclist tried to weave round I asked him to wait until I had him out of the way I was told to "f* off" - lovely.

My other bugbear is when you slow down for horses and the rider can't be bothered to thank you - I stop (embarrassing my dc's), and tell them that they are letting other riders down by being so rude.

prettybird Mon 02-Sep-13 16:54:00

I'm a bit hmm about the current "Niceway Code" campaign that is running in Scotland at the moment. But it does make some good points about all needing to share the road together.

One of the images is of a horse on a bicycle, reminding car drivers that they need to give bikes the same space and respect that they would a horse (you need to scroll down to near the bottom to get to the actual images being used in the campaign).

If they're asking motorists to give cyclists the same amount of respect they give horses then no one wins. Round here very few cars slow down and give me a wide berth (and I'm on single track country lanes, not two way roads) on my horse - if only......

prettybird Mon 02-Sep-13 17:13:09

That's one of the reasons why I am a bit hmm. However, it's what car drivers should do. Horses are also a bit bigger and less predictable than a cyclist and could also damage the car if surprised - so maybe drivers do show them marginally more respect.

Ds tells me of the time he was cut up badly by a double decker bus, which skimmed by him with about 5cm to spare. He was only about 11 at the time. What really got him was on the back of the bus was the advert of a school kid on a bike with his arms outstretched to 1.5m, saying "Give me cycle space" confused This picture

Glittertwins Mon 02-Sep-13 18:11:23

I'm scared of frightening the horses we pass regularly. I slow right down, crawl past and accelerate very slowly, away from the horse so the engine doesn't make a suddenly loud noise.

Tortington Mon 02-Sep-13 18:13:43

no such thing as road tax

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438

Pan Mon 02-Sep-13 18:17:56

But there IS road tax, in some people's minds - my b-i-law for example. He reckons that cyclists shouldn't be on the road at all. When I pointed out re VED and how cyclists subsidise drivers he turned to "well they always ride in the middle of the road."hmm He is a petrol head, but otherwise a lovely bloke.

HoneyDragon Mon 02-Sep-13 21:07:21

I will gladly, happily pay a bike road tax if they introduce one. As long as it means the introduction of cycle paths and improved pedestrian areas too.

<<psst, Pan I got the BEST new bike yesterday smile>>

LaGuardia Mon 02-Sep-13 21:13:48

I hate all adult cyclists. They all get in the way of my lovely, taxed, people carrier.

LaGuardia Mon 02-Sep-13 21:15:27

I hate horses being ridden on the roads even more. Like there aren't enough bloody fields to ride in. Stop showing off and get out of my way.

Pan Mon 02-Sep-13 21:15:45

oooh HD - do me a droolsworthy link please?

HoneyDragon Mon 02-Sep-13 21:16:26

That's true LaGuardia, it takes us a lot of organisation, but we have an excellent rota, this ensures we all get a go at pissing you off. Some of us travel miles just to find you. thanks

prettybird Mon 02-Sep-13 21:17:02

Tractors too. They really should go through the fields and hedges and not get in the way of cars going from A to B wink

HoneyDragon Mon 02-Sep-13 21:21:34

Can't, I'm struggling to identify it. It's an earlier 90's Claud Butler mountain bike. It's surprisingly light as its a Renolds 501 frame.

It's got to be about 20 years old and it's as new, the tyres still have bits of hair on, and both the brakes are look unused. It had two owners both of which loving stored it in the garage in the dry and took it out for a couple of holidays.

And now it's MINE! For only forty squids. Mine mine mine and I luffs it. grin

HoneyDragon Mon 02-Sep-13 21:22:17

And it's got proper thumb shifters too.

Pan Mon 02-Sep-13 21:25:34

ah, I think I've found it

HoneyDragon Mon 02-Sep-13 21:28:20

That's rude! grin

Happy with everyone paying as per emissions, even if it does mean my ancient car costs me over £200 per year. (Weeps) However, I agree everyone who uses the road should have to have insurance. I ended up with a claim on my car insurance when I was stationary in traffic, and a cyclist rode straight out a side road into my back door panel, and dented it quite badly. He was uninsured, so my insurance had to pay. I'm not completely heartless - I did check he wasn't injured first!

Pan Mon 02-Sep-13 21:34:21

Sorry, it was beyond resistance!

if it's an old mountain bike with nobbly tires you'll be working your ass off to ride. When peeps ask 'does riding get you fit?' it's always wise to ride a bike that challenges your muscles. It'll be fab!

Bumpotato Mon 02-Sep-13 21:35:20

I think that cyclists should have a minimum of 3rd party insurance. This could be part of home insurance.

They should also be expected to cycle on the roads not on the fucking pavement and follow the Highway Code as expected of car drivers.

IceNoSlice Mon 02-Sep-13 21:36:38

YANBU. And Trills had it in one - twats are twats in cars, on bikes etc.

However, cyclists, horses/riders and pedestrians would come out if a collision so much worse off, it tips the balance. What i mean is, because drivers could really hurt people- cars are weapons in that respect - they need to be really considerate. Like I'd hope lorry drivers would be considering how much more damage their enormous heavy truck could cause someone in a car. IYSWIM.

HoneyDragon Mon 02-Sep-13 21:38:28

I know. And I won't be pissing this lot off because I'll be off road chasing tractors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now