Should I stop my 11 DD watching Family Guy and Russell Howard.

(61 Posts)
Jellybeanz1 Sun 01-Sep-13 11:29:24

During the summer holidays my daughter often sleeps in my bed as my DH works away half the week. I watch late night telly and she came in whilst I was watching these shows. At the beginning I turned it off when language or content was too outrageous however gradually the bar got pushed and now she's complaining when I don't let her watch. I told her we'd have to stop when she goes back to school but as it's on at the weekend she says IABU as loads from her class watch them. I feel am very bad M but cant cure my addiction either. Should I stop?

MrsWilberforce Sun 01-Sep-13 13:35:59

Of the two I would say Family Guy is far worse - it's gone the same way as South Park, a lot of the 'humour' is pretty sick.

I wouldn't be happy with an 11 year-old watching it and she would probably be just as happy to watch something else - it's the shared bed and late-night aspect that they really like.

LoopyLoopyLoopy Sun 01-Sep-13 13:39:44

Both totally inappropriate IMO.

Watching TV in bed isn't something I'd encourage either (for either of you). Do you have problems sleeping? I used to do this, and really struggled to sleep. A few years ago we removed the TV from our room and now both read (DH was never a reader before) and it has helped us both massively with sleeping.

AnyoneButLulu Sun 01-Sep-13 13:40:18

Family Guy hugely inappropriate I'd say - I don't watch RHGN so can't say.

Dobbiesmum Sun 01-Sep-13 13:42:15

Family Guy isn't watched here, not our thing really, I know DS (12yo) has watched it doesn't like it much.
Russell Howard can be pretty funny at times and he does like him, plus QI, HIGNFY, A League of their own and quite a few comedians on Live at the Apollo... smile
I'd rather he watched that type of program than crappy soaps and Big Brother tbh.
Although if he quotes Peter Kay at me one more time this weekend he will lose the use of the tv until he moves out..

MadeOfStarDust Sun 01-Sep-13 13:43:05

Ours are 11 and 12 and we would not let them watch either..

They do watch the big bang theory as we actually think it is funny without being cringily adult in themes.. and it shows we geeks are people too!

Mind you they don't watch soaps or reality tv either as they suck the "spare" time out of your life...

Jellybeanz1 Sun 01-Sep-13 23:11:55

Many thanks all, I think I'll just keep it for myself - another guilty pleasure.

IceCreamForCrow Sun 01-Sep-13 23:24:18

Not here either. I can't say I've seen much of RH as I don't find him very funny.

FG I have seen, again not my thing esp but I can see the cartoon format appealing to an 11 yr old. But it's too old for mine so not for a good while yet.

Mintyy Sun 01-Sep-13 23:27:09

Really? People here don't mind their 11 year olds watching Family Guy??

shock

My DC love RH ( DS is 13.6 DD is 11) BUT DH or I watch it first and some episodes we say no to.

If there is an adult part, I look at DS. He's either smirking or it's gone over his head.
(Then I ask "where did you hear about that " ?)

Yes you should

I don't let my 15 year old watch it.

What's Family Guy? Is that a cartoon (like South Park) or real people ?

DD and I once counted all Lee Evans swear words. She was shock.
His routine isn't too bad apart from the swearing, (no filth)

YoungBritishPissArtist Sun 01-Sep-13 23:36:17

Never seen Russell Howard.

Haven't watched much FG, although seen enough to hear a rape joke hmm I don't think an 11 year old should be exposed to that.

moodyblues Sun 01-Sep-13 23:37:15

I'm shocked any parent even needs to question whether family guy is appropriate for their 11 year old child.

Unbelievable.

StuntGirl Sun 01-Sep-13 23:38:54

I adore both.

I'm an adult.

Your child is not.

Of course it's not fucking suitable.

Jellybeanz1 Sun 01-Sep-13 23:39:12

Many thanks all, I think I'll just keep it for myself - another guilty pleasure.

StuntGirl Sun 01-Sep-13 23:45:55

Here you are 70s

youtu.be/W5SC64DpAEE

NoComet Sun 01-Sep-13 23:47:24

I'm just confused by DCs who watch TV on a TV at the time it's on.

My two iPlayer or series record everything and watch it when they like.

Long ago DS1(now15) and I did have words about ask permission before watching post watershed TV on iPlayer, she just smiled innocently and said, "but mum iPlayer doesn't tell you when it was on"

Since they are both very sensible, but quietly devious, unstable TV is a battle I've decided not to have.

I'm as likely to catch DD1 watching history and science program's as the vampire diaries and DD2 is usually to be found on Utube watching gymnastics

soontobeburns Sun 01-Sep-13 23:50:37

I remember being 11 and my mum telling me I could watch anything but not eurotrash. Guess what I watched grin

I grew up watching adult programmes and have turned out fine.

aftermay Sun 01-Sep-13 23:56:06

DS 13 not allowed Family Guy. I'm afraid he watches Russell Howard.

valiumredhead Mon 02-Sep-13 00:07:27

No to both of them, 12 year old.

LeoandBoosmum Mon 02-Sep-13 00:10:34

Russell Howard can be very blue...not appropriate for such a young mind. Don't know about FG as I don't watch it, never have so can't advise.

ICantGoOverItICantGoUnderIt Mon 02-Sep-13 02:10:25

I'm glad you've decided no OP. There's plenty of time for her to watch stuff like this when she's older.

I think Family Guy throws a lot of people off because it's a cartoon and therefore people assume it must be aimed at children and young teenagers. It isn't. It is not just the fact that there is a lot of sex references, sexual and racial discrimination, homophobia, violence etc, I would be concerned that a child or young teenager would not appreciate the humour in the way it is intended to be taken. The producers are pointing out how stupid these people who hold these discriminatory attitudes are by portraying these notions humorously. I would be concerned a child would believe that holding these views is simply funny.

I know a 5yo who watches Family Guy. sad

ICantGoOverItICantGoUnderIt Mon 02-Sep-13 02:12:08

I'm glad you've decided no OP. There's plenty of time for her to watch stuff like this when she's older.

I think Family Guy throws a lot of people off because it's a cartoon and therefore people assume it must be aimed at children and young teenagers. It isn't. It is not just the fact that there is a lot of sex references, sexual and racial discrimination, homophobia, violence etc, I would be concerned that a child or young teenager would not appreciate the humour in the way it is intended to be taken. The producers are pointing out how stupid these people who hold these discriminatory attitudes are by portraying these notions humorously. I would be concerned a child would believe that holding these views is simply funny.

I know a 5yo who watches Family Guy.

ICantGoOverItICantGoUnderIt Mon 02-Sep-13 02:12:38

Sorry for double post.

Jellybeanz1 Tue 03-Sep-13 02:54:32

Yes, thanks everyone who posted. I have decided to go cold Turkey as well after a few barneys with dd ( her rules, I have to give up Come dine with Me haha). Dh came home after week and half and we have decided to reset many rules; tv and computer time, more nutritious food etc. We spent yesterday playing happy families with books, board games and selected nature programmes. Wow - feeling nervously smug. it seemed easier than I thought, I still have the power well one day at a time, thanks all lets hope I can keep on top of it, back on the straight and narrow.. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now