Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to not understand why some mothers don't bother getting sunshades for baby's pushchair?

(62 Posts)
happydazy1 Fri 30-Aug-13 21:05:57

All summer I have seen mum's striding along (often with sunglasses themselves) and their poor dc with their heads turned to one side or even hands in front of face desperately trying to avoid the sun's glare. Some of the babies are even in rearfacing pushchairs still so the mums must know that the sun is in their dc's eyes.

Even if they can't afford a proper sunshade I don't know why they don't get a muslin and clothes pegs to try and improvise something.

Thumbwitch Sat 31-Aug-13 17:19:02

I have a parasol for my pushchair - it has a bendy bit in the arm, so I can pull it around as we change direction. But half the time it has to be between me and DS2, which he doesn't much appreciate. Mind you, he doesn't much appreciate it when I then fling a muslin over the hood/pram as well to keep him safe from the glare, nor yet does he appreciate having the sun full in his eyes. Can't get him to keep his baby-sunnies on, though! Or a hat! Or leave the muslin where I put it. Awkward little so-and-so

Maryann1975 Sat 31-Aug-13 22:55:29

Do you have a child op? If you do, I imagine your child is really well behaved as most toddlers (as you have probably noticed from comments above) will not keep a parasol over them when the sun is shining. They have no concept that it is there for their own benefit and think it is a toy. A muslin and pegs would be the same. From a parents perspective they are a complete pain when you turn corners and the sun moves, meaning you have to move the parasol again. Dc1 had a parasol for the first summer. I learnt my lesson and dc2 and 3 never used it.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sat 31-Aug-13 23:03:13

The answer to OP's post is obviously because those mothers don't give a shit about their dc.

That's what she wants to hear.

She is obviously a better mother because she has a sunshade on her dc's pushchair.

These other poor babies haven't been protected in any way from the sun and are set up for a lifetime of poor health and misery in the care of these thoughtless mothers of theirs.

VelmaDaceDinkley Sat 31-Aug-13 23:26:00

That's why we have eyelids hmm

Unfortunately the mum's have to keep their eyes open to see where they're walking.

But the babies have the luxury of being able to close theirs if the sun gets too bright.

SeaSickSal Sun 01-Sep-13 12:53:37

I have MS in my family which has been linked to a lack of vitamin D which comes from sunlight. On short journeys when the sun is not too strong I like him to get some light.

Boosiehs Sun 01-Sep-13 13:02:57

Some sunshine is of course essential. However too much can lead to burning and skin cancer. Currently dealing with pale and pasty DH's malignant melanoma kind of makes you a tad more cautious about the sun, even in this country.

Oblomov Sun 01-Sep-13 13:06:48

Why do you think OP? Because they are useless? And a few minutes of sunshine never hurt a baby ? Pull down your judgey-pants , and jogg on !!

saulaboutme Sun 01-Sep-13 13:57:37

Op you have a point. I think this also goes for sunshades, raincovers, coats etc.

Countless times I've seen it. The worst one I saw was a mum pushing newborn in heavy snow, baby was wrapped in a blanket, mum was covered by an umbrella. The baby must have got soaked!

Even if baby is throwing a mental they need weather protection. My boy loved wearing sunnies.

saulaboutme Sun 01-Sep-13 14:04:08

And agree it's not MUMS responsibility, dads as well.

JassyRadlett Sun 01-Sep-13 14:24:16

I'm from Australia so pretty sun-conscious. For DS that means sunscreen, hat, sunglasses especially as he has blue eyes. But honest to god, those parasols are useless. We have a huge whole-pushchair sunshade for when we're somewhere hot or in full sun all day and want him to nap, and you can zip it off so it's just got a huge hood which provides pretty good shade. But for the last 8 months or so the shout has been 'hood OFF' if we put the hood up at all, he's rumbled us that it's a sleep-inducing trick.

He won't keep his sunglasses on all the time either, but he does love them.

My eyes are ridiculously sensitive to sun, I wear sunglasses throughout the winter. Wonder what people would think if I put DS's sunglasses on him in January?

Mind you, today he wanted to leave the house in dressing gown, swimsuit and wellies so anything's possible.

Rooners Sun 01-Sep-13 14:28:55

I agree with you OP that some people seem sadly unaware of their babies' distress.

The times I have gone out with a pushchair to find that it doesn't protect my child enough, and not been sure what to do - I normally end up walking in a strange position trying to use my own shadow to keep the sun out of their eyes.

daftdame Sun 01-Sep-13 14:30:37

I found mine useless although hood of push chair could go down fairly low and offered lots of shade if needed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now