To think this article is a joke?

(20 Posts)
hagle Thu 29-Aug-13 12:41:40
wonderingsoul Thu 29-Aug-13 12:44:12

did you actually read it?

the girl DID go live with her farther for 3 years.

the owman sobered up

started of contact slowly with weekly phone calls and 3 monthly vists

the girl then wanted to go live with the mum. she said no as she was settled with her dad.

further down th eline the girl asked agagin.. girl lives with ehr mother now.

she beat the drink.

she has a great relationship with her daugther now

whats not to like?

SaucyJack Thu 29-Aug-13 12:46:26

Her daughter did go and live with her father, but returned home once her mum was better.

And I'd happily give her a medal for turning her life around before it was too late. Alcoholism is no joke.

LRDPomogiMnyeSRabotoi Thu 29-Aug-13 12:46:37

I am reading this with my 'Daily Mail' filter in place.

But I think probably she is trying to be honest about how it felt. Fairly obviously, drinking that amount, she wasn't coping and wasn't able to look after her DD. It sounds as if she did want to send her to live with her dad?

If she'd written 'I got to rock botttom, rang social services to tell them, they took my DD into care', then people would be asking 'but didn't you keep drinking? You did! Why didn't you admit that?'

So I think she is trying to explain that yes, she kept drinking, and this is part of addiction, the selfishness of it. At least she is recognizing it as selfishness and not making excuses.

Very sad story, though.

Bowlersarm Thu 29-Aug-13 12:46:39

You clearly haven't read the article.

She did go to live with her father.

I take it you have never struggled with an addiction op?

wonderingsoul Thu 29-Aug-13 12:48:50

you know what. it shows how drink can make you so selfish, but she did put her child first.

she tried getting hold of the dad first, but with no luck, then sh erang ss. the girl lived with the dad for 3 years.

i think its good these stories are in the paper, to show people that you can turn it around. its hard but you can do it.
so yes.. i woudl give her a bloody medel.

Feminine Thu 29-Aug-13 12:48:55

The Mother has a long road ahead.

The daughter is still very young. I suspect she will come to resent her Mother as she gets older.

sad sad for all.

SeaSickSal Thu 29-Aug-13 12:53:12

Do you know what I think she is really brave to talk about this. Some mothers are going to read that and recognize themselves in it and hopefully get the help they need before it goes as far as it did in this case.

She's overcome a dreadful illness and acknowledged what she did wrong.

lljkk Thu 29-Aug-13 13:00:35

Some people will need to read stories like that to see themselves.

SomethingOnce Thu 29-Aug-13 14:05:12

Absolutely heartbreaking for all concerned.

Taking it at face value (who knows with the DM) I think the mother has been very brave in recognising her problem, dealing with it, and going public - the DM red arrow crew will love it!

I hope the daughter is as little damaged by her experience as can be hoped.

FastWindow Thu 29-Aug-13 14:15:57

Wow. Fighting back tears at the daughters forgiveness.

Pawprint Thu 29-Aug-13 14:39:03

What strikes me is that this woman has given at least three interviews about her story. I'm sure it's already been in the DM.

Alcoholism is am illness, I'm in no doubt. It's a v sad story. There but for the grace of God.

Feelingworried67 Thu 29-Aug-13 15:14:04

What a great story turn around, I had a tear in my eye by the end...

Addiction is no joke.

wonderingsoul Thu 29-Aug-13 15:21:16

PAWPRINT- it has. the last time she had just got back in to contact with her daughter, she wasnt living with her at the time as she felt it wasnt fair to distrupt her life again when she was happy and settled at her dads.
that was a good couplke of months ago though.

things seem to have got better and better. her daughter is amazing

Maryz Thu 29-Aug-13 15:22:54

Reading that article, the person I really admire is the father.

I truly hope, for his dd's sake, that he doesn't regret letting her go back to her mum.

I am very hmm about her talking to the DM about it, with full names and photos shock - what is the child meant to say at school when her friends ask her why her mum "dumped her", which someone is bound to say one day?

thecatfromjapan Thu 29-Aug-13 15:35:35

SaucyJack I've p.m.ed you.

(I say this because not everyone notices when they get a p.m.)

Arnie123 Thu 29-Aug-13 15:36:31

I was an alcoholic and when I decided I wanted a baby I stopped before even getting pregnant. I have never drank again. On the other hand my mum was an alcoholic who actually told me I needed to drink at 14. I think when you have kids you need to stop being irresponsible and grow up

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Thu 29-Aug-13 17:52:55

Agree with Maryz

Chiggers Thu 29-Aug-13 19:58:05

Struggling with addiction is extremely hard for the addict and the wider circle of family and friends. For this lady to call SS and ask that her DC be provided with the necessary care that she couldn't give, shows that in spite of her addiction, she was putting her DC first.

I hope that she can now build a strong relationship with her DD and that her DD can understand that her mum did what was best for her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now