Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To beg for a c-section?

(34 Posts)
Kyrptonite Wed 28-Aug-13 15:33:26

Background: DS born after 2 hours of labour and DD 40 minutes after getting to hospital.

Since then I've had some incontinence issues that this pg have made a lot worse. Several growth scans have also shown that DC3 is currently at least 6.5lbs with 2.5 weeks to go.

DS was 5lb 4oz and DD 7lb 2. I'm cacking it that this baby is going to be huge and fully ruin my pelvic floor. I'm leaking every time I move and had to go to labour ward last night to see if it was wee or waters. To my shame it was wee blush.

I'm terrified that my body won't recover from DC3. I have a scan tomorrow followed by consultant and I'm really trying to work up the courage to ask about a c section.

I know its huge surgery, its not something I'm thinking about lightly but I'm terrified. I also don't get any labour signs until I'm in immense pain and have quick labours so I'm also worrying about giving birth in a lay By or something going horribly wrong.

Will the consultant take me seriously? I asked a midwife at the start of the pg and she basically said well have a home birth then. I really don't want a home birth. Both DCs had placenta delivery issues and i lost a lot of blood and had to stay in overnight. 3 night with DS as he had to have antibiotics due to waters going early and me not realising.

MrsBettany Thu 29-Aug-13 20:28:51

Cross post - the updated 2011 guidelines don't just refer you for a second opinion, they clearly state you should be referred to a consultant who will carry out a caeserian.

It is in the section called Maternal Request for a Caesarian Section (can't copy and paste on my phone).

sarascompact Thu 29-Aug-13 22:35:30

Kryptonite, I've pm'd you.
MrsBettany, I pm'd you too, by mistake. Sorry, my message was meant for the OP. blush Thank goodness it wasn't exceptionally personal or it could have been even more embarrassing!

Kyrptonite Fri 30-Aug-13 11:49:15

Drs in 40 mins with a different GP. Thank you for all the advice and PMs smile

Seaweedy Fri 30-Aug-13 13:27:06

What other people said. You don't need to 'beg', you are entitled to request one. I did. It was a calm procedure, with an uncomplicated recovery. Having said that, I have only given birth by c-section, and only that once, and I have pelvic floor issues. In my case, it was pregnancy that caused them, not a vagnal delivery.

Good luck either way.

MadameJosephine Fri 30-Aug-13 13:39:20

As other posters have already said, you shouldn't have to 'beg' for anything! You are entitled to have a rational discussion with a consultant during which you can come to a decision with all the facts in front of you. With your history of precipitate labour it may be that an induction of labour with an experienced midwife might be your best option rather than a section but every case is different and at the end of the day this is your body and your decision

CheshirePanda Fri 30-Aug-13 20:42:04

Just to echo MrsBettany.... It is your right to have a CS if you want one.

here is the NICE report http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/CG132
No need to read it all...there are clear summaries!

I wouldn't worry you'll have to fight about it. . I didn't even need to get the report out of my bag...the consultant simply said 'ok' and made sure I understood the risks of CS vs vaginal and vice versa

PS everyone varies but my recovery was fairly simple. Good luck

RiotsNotDiets Fri 30-Aug-13 20:45:45

YANBU, your body your choice.

WRT pelvic floor issues, something like this would help you a lot

Kyrptonite Fri 30-Aug-13 21:06:51

Thank you. The GP today was very helpful and has written a letter to the consultant. He told me that my midwife has more direct access to the consultant so to speak to her at my appointment Monday and he will back me up if needs be.

HansieMom Fri 30-Aug-13 22:42:08

I have heard that female ob gyn doctors have C sections. I'd like Mners who know of such doctors to verify or refute this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now