Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think Educating Yorkshire is a really bad idea?

(79 Posts)
GetStuffezd Tue 20-Aug-13 14:06:57

So, here's the trailer.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=8NQGPVv1wDU
It's basically showing the workings of a Yorkshire secondary school from day to day, going into classes and following certain teachers and pupils - from what I can gather anyway.
Is it just me who thinks it's a really bad idea? For parents, I can't imagine film crews in classes, encouraging children to "perform" is a popular idea. And as a teacher I would rather die than have my lessons disrupted with all that hassle. Maybe I'm being miserable but the whole thing seems a crazy idea to me, and possibly a massive ego trip on the part of the new Head.

Plus that teacher with the beard and messy hair irritated me after about 0.6 seconds.

Darkesteyes Sun 25-Aug-13 23:31:12

I watched Educating Essex and am planning to watch this. However having recently doscovered that im dyscalculic watching the maths teacher yell DO SOME MATHS at that young blonde girl in the trailer gave me some 1980s flashbacks.....not good ones.

lade Mon 26-Aug-13 22:20:37

I'm looking forward to watching it.

The girl with the eyebrows just summed up everything about teaching for me (and everything I love about it too grin). A student will suddenly get something into their heads and out it comes. They don't stop to think, they just say what comes into their head; whether it is appropriate / relevant or not. Sometimes it can be challenging, sometimes fun, but always unexpected and that's the joy of teaching.

yorkshirepuddings Mon 26-Aug-13 22:33:11

I'm a secondary teacher and the girl with the eyebrows cracks me up every time I see the trailer. There are so many moments like that every day - the kids are the best part of the job.

coco27 Fri 06-Sep-13 18:50:58

beatback is spot on.
These children are going to one day be adults looking for jobs.
Would you as an employer want to hire someone who had a history of making false allegations of Racist abuse, for example?
The kids may well give their consent but they are too young to appreciate the ramifications.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now