Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To not care about rain on my washing?

(60 Posts)
grobagsforever Sat 27-Jul-13 19:17:22

Obviously following on from neighbour thread. I don't understand the MN horror at letting washing get wet in rain, then leaving it until it is dry and then getting it in and wearing it. It's just rain FFS! There are far, far more germs and dirt on your keyboards/mobile phones etc.

Also I don't iron, do maintenance washes or own a peg bag. I'm pretty sure my clothes are clean and I don't smell.

BaldricksTurnip Sat 27-Jul-13 19:39:28

You have a washing drying and putting away SCHEDULE??

(Looks in awe at Fakebook)

valiumredhead Sat 27-Jul-13 19:39:30

I did too usualgrin it was soooooooo lovely and cool !

I have a peg basket thing.

HeySoulSister Sat 27-Jul-13 19:39:50

I loved that 80's song by modern romance.... Today I saw you walking in the rain...

PlatinumStart Sat 27-Jul-13 19:42:29

It's not about germs though is it? More the point that if it pisses down for the next week what are you supposed to do with a pile of soaking wet washing?

usualsuspect Sat 27-Jul-13 19:44:03

Just leave it out till the sun comes back out grin

imnotmymum Sat 27-Jul-13 19:45:23

That is why God created tumble driers ...

Queenbee245 Sat 27-Jul-13 19:45:52

I don't have a washing line so can't join your club (live in apartment) but what does a maintenance wah entail?

wotapalava Sat 27-Jul-13 19:46:06

Oh no, what's a maintenance wash? Should I be doing them? ( hoping the answer is no as it sounds like more work)

LRDYaDumayuIThink Sat 27-Jul-13 19:48:07

I think it's nice the neighbour got the washing in - though frankly it used to creep me out when my neighbour did that (we had a communal patch of ground for washing and she used to watch like a hawk and dash out, then fold my knickers for me. blush).

I'm quite happy leaving it out if it's been rained on, but it is horrible if it gets half-dry and then hangs for too long as it does smell revolting.

Is it not kind of obvious which situation is which? confused

The MN attitude reminds me a bit of the attitude to 'best before' dates. Sniff it and see.

thebody Sat 27-Jul-13 19:48:20

er......, tumble dryer!!! I hav'nt had a line since 1992!!!

and don't want to hear crap about how lovely it is to have freshly blown towels( sounds rude)

tumble dryer is the future just like garlic bread!!!

imnotmymum Sat 27-Jul-13 19:48:58

Oh you put your washer on random wash thing when you have no washing and feel like a domestic goddess. Cleans your drum

CircassianLeyla Sat 27-Jul-13 19:51:02

Mine is currently getting soaked. Will take it in once it has dried again.

WaitMonkey Sat 27-Jul-13 19:51:12

Where abouts is it raining ? We have clouds but no rain yet. sad

mrstigs Sat 27-Jul-13 19:51:14

I just rushed to get the just washed nappies pegged outside BECAUSE it was going to rain. Free extra rinse. grin Yep, I really am that tight.
But no, I don't bring them in if it's raining, unless they are dry or nearly dry.

usualsuspect Sat 27-Jul-13 19:54:11

Pissing it down in the east midlands.

usualsuspect Sat 27-Jul-13 19:56:04

I rarely use my tumble drier. It shrinks things.

Socks go in adult size and come out child sized.

thebody Sat 27-Jul-13 19:59:18

pissing it down in West Midlands!!

thebody Sat 27-Jul-13 19:59:59

agree socks but don't care!! hard like that me.

AudrinaAdare Sat 27-Jul-13 20:07:06

Just me and Fakebook with the schedule so far then...

fakebook Sat 27-Jul-13 20:10:49

Yes BaldricksTurnip, I do! I got into the habit after getting my tumble drier last year. If I don't keep on top of it, I end up with piles of clothes in my living room and kitchen. Wash, dry, fold, put away. Takes 20 mins, then repeat with the next load.

WoTmania Sat 27-Jul-13 20:13:42

YANBU - I also don't care about my washing be rained on (tight this minute) forecast is for no rain after midnight. It'll be dry in the morning.

grobagsforever Sat 27-Jul-13 20:46:54

Oh good. I am not a complete slattern. Thanks!

littlewhitebag Sat 27-Jul-13 21:04:43

It's nothing to do with i smelling, i just get cross when i know my washing would have been dry and now it is wet. Then i have to take it in and hang it up/tumble dry it.

AwwCrumpets Sun 28-Jul-13 18:18:45

I get the rage if iv just put a washing out and it rains or that my washing is almost dry and them it pours a days worth of rain in the two minutes it takes for me to get outside angry.

I mostly like to do my washing as early as possible if the day looks promising just incase it turns.

ShadowMeltingInTheSun Sun 28-Jul-13 18:33:37

YANBU. Not bothered by my washing getting wet. The rain round here seems to be pretty clean, and does not make my washing smelly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now