7yr old bumping and grinding at a kids' disco

(55 Posts)

Hello

AIBU to be totally shock at what I witnessed at the weekend. DS was at a disco birthday party for 5-7yr olds. There was a lad there who had taken his t.shirt off (fair enough... a lot of the boys had as it was about 1,000 degrees in there), had pulled his shorts to below his bum cheeks so his whole backside was hanging out (and the front as well), and was bumping and grinding away to all the songs. There was a lot of thrusting, swivelling and sticking out of bottom. He's 7. His mum had gone, so there was no adult who could really deal with it.

He also poured a cup of water over his head, watched one of the mums clear up the puddle, and then did it again. Later he was dropping crisps on the floor and stomping on them. A bit later again he was doing gangsta moves... really quite scary stuff! Loads of the other boys were trying to copy him.

Not sure what point I'm making really. If I'd been his mum and had seen that when I came to pick him up again I'd have gone toto! But should one of us gone and had a quiet word? Friends and I were mostly shock and a bit hmm, but a couple thought it was all pretty harmless (which amazed me!). I'm not sure what on earth he must have watched to pick up those moves!

pollywollydoodle Mon 22-Jul-13 16:38:13

oh yes they called him the streak, eeeeeeeeeep! grin

imademarion Mon 22-Jul-13 16:42:14

I am still word perfect on 'Billy Don't be a Hero.'

I thought it was Deep.

It still makes me snivel.'

Chopstheduck Mon 22-Jul-13 16:44:18

I agree that it is simply dancing. My ds1 has sn, LOVEs performing, doesn't give a shit what anyone thinks. He copied the dance to "I'm sexy and I know it' on stage. The teacher drew the line at him stripping, but he did the dancing.

The HT turned puce with rage and stormed out with the governer in tow [sigh]

Ds1 was the talk of school though, and rather proud of himself!

MrsMelons Mon 22-Jul-13 17:30:52

I ran a Y2 disco with some other parents recently and we told the DCs if they were OTT with the inappropriate moves etc, their parents weren't there but I would have no issues saying something to a 7 yo behaving like that, I actually find it a bit odd no one felt they could say something.

MrsMelons Mon 22-Jul-13 17:32:42

And yes it is just dancing, I think people need to lighten up but I would object to the 'stripping' or bumping/grinding with other children not just dancing on their own iyswim

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now