Not interested in the royal baby? You're cold and uncaring

(87 Posts)

Or so I was told by a friend this morning. I was bemoaning the seemingly endless media coverage and the fact that real news stories are barely being touched on.

When I said that I have no interest in the baby and couldn't care less about it (beyond hoping that mother and baby are healthy, as I do for all births) she accused me of being cold, unfeeling and uncaring, saying that she would never say she "couldn't care less" about anyone, whether she knew them or not and that the royal baby is special and everyone should celebrate its birth.

Is she overreacting or am I BU and a heartless cow?

lottieandmia Mon 22-Jul-13 12:25:26

YANBU. No interest here either, except of course I would wish them well as I would any couple who was having a baby.

EldritchCleavage Mon 22-Jul-13 12:27:33

Isn't it weird how nowadays half the people in the country don't even speak to their neighbours, couldn't care less about others, practise road rage and increasingly bad manners in public but are still GOOD PEOPLE because they waste time being all treacly and ostentatiously sentimental about celebrities they've never even met?

I will never forget an article I read in the Guardian when Princess Diana died by a woman who had just lost her father asking why even close friends had said nothing to her about his death but expected her to emote with them over the death of a princess whom neither of them had known personally or taken much interest in when she was alive.

lottieandmia Mon 22-Jul-13 12:27:41

The problem is that people get brainwashed with this royalist crap. It was the same with the sodding jubilee. Someone on here said that anyone not wanting to celebrate the jubilee obviously contributes nothing to the UK hmm I feel sorry for people who are so easily manipulated and brainwashed tbh.

lottieandmia Mon 22-Jul-13 12:29:34

Very good point Eldritch!

YouTheCat Mon 22-Jul-13 12:29:43

Oh god, don't get me started on all the Diana crap.

I hope they have a boy.

ChippingInHopHopHop Mon 22-Jul-13 12:31:50

I'm 'interested', but only in the same way that I'm 'interested' when friend of a friend is having a baby. It's the 'baby' that I find 'interesting' irrespective of who the parents are.

Also, they seem like a lovely young couple and I wish them well - nothing to do with being royal.

I also feel sad that his Mum isn't here, it will cast a shadow over it, irrespective of who he/she is to the rest of the world.

The Royal Family is good for our economy and I think we are lucky to have the Royal Family that we do.

YANBU - you 'care' that the baby (any baby) & mother are well, so no, you aren't cold or uncaring, just not overly interested, which is fine.

CitrusSunshine Mon 22-Jul-13 12:32:12

I am really really really bored of all the news coverage, empty speculation and discussion about the baby when it has not yet even been born yet. And it is only going to get worse.

I am not cold or heartless, I am just not interested!!!

So, YANBU and your friend is being U.

MiaowTheCat Mon 22-Jul-13 12:32:46

Actually I have two points of interest on the royal baby:

Name - better not be any I've named my kids (I actually vetoed one for DD2 when I found out that she was royally upduffed as it looked like a possibility and I didn't fancy all the "oooh did you name it after the royal sproglet" crap.
Do we get another bank holiday?!

exexpat Mon 22-Jul-13 12:32:51

TheJoyful - is your friend the kind of person who gets all excited about her best friend's hairdresser's third cousin's niece having a baby? Some people seem to get excited about any baby, which is lovely for them, but really, there is no reason for most people to get more excited about the new royal baby than the aforementioned best friend's etc etc.

Except that of course this one will get its photo in all the gossip magazines etc without having to appear on the X-factor or TOWIE first.

I have the same sort of very mild interest (ie hope for their sakes that mother and baby come through the process healthy and alive) that I would have in (eg) a workmate's sister's best friend's pregnancy. Childbirth is, even now, a potentially dangerous business and the birth of a baby is generally a happy occasion. But no one baby is more special to people outside the family circle than any other.

cogitosum Mon 22-Jul-13 12:45:56

I care in as much as I'm jealous as I'm 41+3 today with no signs of anything happening!

aldiwhore Mon 22-Jul-13 12:49:39

To be frank I find those who moan about it are as tedious as those who follow every contraction.

You are not cold and uncaring TheJoyfulPuddleJumper but complaining about it is annoying, it IS big News. I have very little interest in the whole thing but it's a given that if I watch the News over the next few days it's going to be covered a lot, and really, it isn't awful or 'bad news' to cover the good news occasionally.

Your mate IBU, as are you, but I completely understand your utter disinterest!

In RL I dont know anyone whos particularly interested in the Royal Baby, a few fanatics camping outside the hospital (for what reason??) but I think most people will go `thats nice` and move on.

JumpingJackSprat Mon 22-Jul-13 12:51:38

I am with you op. i seriously am not interested in massive pictures of her all over bbc news with minute by minute updates. its typical of the media these days all this hysteria. its just a baby! There are thousands born every day some into abject poverty... i think theyre more deserving of our attention tbh.

elQuintoConyo Mon 22-Jul-13 12:53:50

I'm about as interested as if it were Cheryl Cole having a baby, or Madonna adopting another, or Josephine Schmo from down the road.

Couldn't give a flying fig. It doesn't make me uncaring, it makes me uninterested; there is a difference.

EldritchCleavage Mon 22-Jul-13 12:56:46

It's interesting and important if only because this child will be our head of state at some point. Doesn't mean people need to have any personal, emotional reaction to it beyond, 'Oh, good that it all went well. What's for dinner?' sort of thing.

sidneypie Mon 22-Jul-13 13:10:18

Couldn't give a monkeys. My issue is that any real news story (including anything the government prefers to keep quiet) will be hidden by toe-curling, gushing nonsense!

NicknameIncomplete Mon 22-Jul-13 13:12:56

Im interested to the point of wanting to know the name (yes i am name obsessed). In not gna sit watching the news waiting for the announcement.

On another note has anyone heard the news about The Orange One who loves his kids smile

Purple2012 Mon 22-Jul-13 13:16:50

I am interested as the baby will one day be king or queen and I do think it is a big deal. I don't think it should be the main news story constantly and I don't think people should be told to care. Some people like the royal family, some don't. If you don't I wouldn't think you were cold and uncaring.

NellysKnickers Mon 22-Jul-13 13:19:24

I'm with your friend. How can you not be interested, that baby will one day be king or queen? I've only found my love for the royal family in the last couple of years and until Harry is married off, there is still a chance I can be a Duchesse grin

FreudiansSlipper Mon 22-Jul-13 13:19:55

i am not interested because she is a royal

my interest goes as far as i hope that the labour is not complicated and she has a healthy baby as i wish the same for others

and i am not that sure this child will be king or queen one day

Didactylos Mon 22-Jul-13 13:20:48

yup, am probably cold and uncaring
Im used to it, it goes with my complexion

frogwatcher42 Mon 22-Jul-13 13:26:52

I don't know anybody in real life who gives a damn about the Royal Family, full stop.

I haven't heard one person in my home life, or at work, mention the Royal birth today or this week leading up to today. I reckon most people have forgotten - I only remembered as I saw this thread title and it reminded me. Thought I would see if I was in a very small minority in not being bothered - glad most of you agree! Mind you there is probably a full on thread full of people really excited somewhere on mn.

I wonder when the media will switch onto the fact that there may be an opening for a newspaper that refuses to report on royal twoddle!!!

giveitago Mon 22-Jul-13 13:37:21

I'm not cold and uncaring but I just work bloody hard and lots of things to do and no time for the news. This baby is not under my care and I assume as they are royal it will be beautifully looked after. Why then would I care?

I don't know anyone who is interested in the royal baby, if anything I know more because I just had the news on hmm it's exciting the baby is coming just like anyone else I 'know'/hear of who goes into labour - how exciting, hope all goes well etc but not like when close friends drop - that is worth getting worked up over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now